Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Metros With The Nicest Collection of Suburbs 2023
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 35 16.06%
Boston-Cambridge-Newton 44 20.18%
Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 45 20.64%
Dallas-Forth Worth-Arlington 26 11.93%
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 12 5.50%
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 45 20.64%
Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 15 6.88%
New York-Newark-Jersey City 39 17.89%
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilington 37 16.97%
Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 16 7.34%
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 53 24.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 06:41 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think this is a really good thread so far and really shows the diversity of opinions about suburbs.

Most of it comes down to what we're accustomed regionally and expectations around that. I personally put the most value on suburban areas that have grown more organically.

I can understand the pleasant and new appeal of "planned" communities like you find in the Sun Belt, but there's just something "off" a town that was literally conceived entirely in a corporate board room.

But nothing beats organic charm, in my view, that was cultivated over many years, which is why I'll always be partial to the Northeast.

Another aspect that hasn't been discussed: highways. I personally can't stand oversized roads with non-stop piecemeal development and huge expressways traversing otherwise serene environments. This is an aspect where I've found Boston and Philadelphia are absolutely the best. Very limited expressway and highway development in their suburbs, especially for their size. It makes the overall living environment so much more pleasant.

Agreed. This one is big. While I do like NJ (NYC) Suburbs, you get alot of this stuff:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5807...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9113...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 06:48 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
Check out these three beautiful developments next time you are in town (of you haven’t already) - https://www.serenbe.com/, https://www.trilith.com/, and https://www.experienceavalon.com/about/.
Even with these nice developments (and they are nice), it still doesnt touch the amount of amenities and jobs the northern suburbs have. The two you posted are the south side metro exceptions (along with PTC). One thing I think is underrated for the south metro is the ridge/foothills that extend well into it along the Chattahoochee. The north suburbs get glimpses of the mountains but the south side almost has their own mini mountains. The neighborhoods in this area have some steep hills.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:51 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Even with these nice developments (and they are nice), it still doesnt touch the amount of amenities and jobs the northern suburbs have. The two you posted are the south side metro exceptions (along with PTC). One thing I think is underrated for the south metro is the ridge/foothills that extend well into it along the Chattahoochee. The north suburbs get glimpses of the mountains but the south side almost has their own mini mountains. The neighborhoods in this area have some steep hills.
I mean as someone who lives between two northern suburbs, what amenities are they missing? I mean... I can give you a list of amenities Northern suburbs don't have that Southern ones do. I'll give you the jobs, that is fair.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:03 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I mean as someone who lives between two northern suburbs, what amenities are they missing? I mean... I can give you a list of amenities Northern suburbs don't have that Southern ones do. I'll give you the jobs, that is fair.
The northern suburbs have a higher selection of retail stores and more variety of restaurants for one. When a new store comes into Atl suburbs it'll be the north side 9/10 times and that company will build several locations up there before building one in the south suburbs. You have pro sports (hockey may be coming along with a new arena in Alpharetta), better rated hospitals, more freeways, more sidewalks, better schools, etc. There are amenities the south has the north doesnt for sure, like quicker airport access, but there is a reason why the north metro has a higher value.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:32 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
Not on the list, but I found Clevelands inner ring suburbs to be hugely underrated and fantastically walkable/transit oriented. In fact, places like Lakewood, Shaker Heights, and Cleveland Heights are among the few suburbs I've been to where I've noticed a huge number of kids walking and biking to and from school which is an indicator of a healthy quality of life for all ages. Shaker Heights and Shaker Square are basically model suburbs with good transit/rail connections to downtown with schools within an easy 10 minute walk of neighborhoods and a well connected network of parks and greenways accessible to most homes by foot.
Very true.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:38 AM

Gotta include: Cohasset, Beverly, Nahant, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Marblehead, Hingham, Winthrop, and Duxbury!

Old 03-21-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
The northern suburbs have a higher selection of retail stores and more variety of restaurants for one. When a new store comes into Atl suburbs it'll be the north side 9/10 times and that company will build several locations up there before building one in the south suburbs. You have pro sports (hockey may be coming along with a new arena in Alpharetta), better rated hospitals, more freeways, more sidewalks, better schools, etc. There are amenities the south has the north doesnt for sure, like quicker airport access, but there is a reason why the north metro has a higher value.
The new hockey arena needs to go to Perimeter Center.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:59 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Gotta include: Cohasset, Beverly, Nahant, Manchester-by-the-Sea, Marblehead, Hingham, Winthrop, and Duxbury!

Nahant is an intriguing one. Anyone whose had a window seat landing at Logan when the pilot circles around Boston will see its peninsula jutting out into the ocean and its one of metro Boston's most unique landforms. It's basically two hunks of rock connected by sandbar to Lynn. One way in and one way out, and you have to cross through Lynn for access. Downside, the beach there gets an awful red tide every summer and it smells pretty foul. Upside, it's very scenic with stellar waterfront views of the Boston skyline in the distance. Nahant Harbor is awesome for sunsets.

I did mention Manchester by-the-sea, Beverly, Marblehead, Duxbury and Hingham in previous posts. Winthrop to me feels like an appendage to East Boston.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Nahant is an intriguing one. Anyone whose had a window seat landing at Logan when the pilot circles around Boston will see its peninsula jutting out into the ocean and its one of metro Boston's most unique landforms. Basically two hunks of rock connected by sandbar to Lynn. One way in and one way out, and you have to cross through Lynn for access. Downside, the beach there gets an awful red tide every summer and it smells pretty foul. Upside, it's very scenic with stellar water views with the Boston skyline in the distance. Nahant Harbor is awesome for sunsets.

I did mention Manchester by-the-sea, Beverly, Marblehead, Duxbury and Hingham in previous posts. Winthrop to me feels like an appendage to East Boston.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:40 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2021 View Post
Here are some beautiful and unique developments south of Atlanta since the north side always seem to get the most praise
1. Trilith - https://www.trilith.com/
2. Serenbe - https://www.serenbe.com/

Atlanta truly has some of the best burbs in the nation.
Atlanta's southern suburbs are certainly underrated. They just don't have the prestige the northern suburbs have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City