Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2023, 09:39 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,506,468 times

Advertisements

SmartAsset studied the 200 Largest Cities, here are their results:

Lots of upscale suburbs...

50 Cities Where Americans Are Happiest, 2022
1 Sunnyvale, CA
2 Arlington, VA
3 Bellevue, WA
4 Fremont, CA
5 Frisco, TX
6 Plano, TX
7 Roseville, CA
8 San Jose, CA
9 Santa Clarita, CA
10 Irvine, CA
11 Huntington Beach, CA
12 Madison, WI
13 Alexandria, VA
14 San Francisco, CA
15 Seattle, WA
16 Boise, ID
17 Hayward, CA
18 Honolulu, HI
19 Raleigh, NC
20 Austin, TX
21 Glendale, CA
22 Virginia Beach, VA
23 Fort Collins, CO
24 Anchorage, AK
25 Santa Rosa, CA
27 Portland, OR
28 Gilbert, AZ
29 Peoria, AZ
30 Henderson, NV
31 San Diego, CA
32 Oakland, CA
33 Lakewood, CO
34 Durham, NC
35 Lincoln, NE
36 Charleston, SC
37 Colorado Springs, CO
38 Omaha, NE
39 Charlotte, NC
40 Washington, DC
41 Minneapolis, MN
42 Denver, CO
43 Yonkers, NY
44 Corona, CA
45 Chula Vista, CA
46 New York, NY
47 Jersey City, NJ
48 St Paul, MN
49 Aurora, IL
50 Sacramento, CA

Each score is measured on a scale of 0 to 100. Underlying metrics are listed below.

Personal Finance:*Percent of individuals earning $100,000 or more, cost of living as a percent of income, personal bankruptcy flings and down payment-to-income ratio.
Well-Being:*Percent reporting poor mental health days, life expectancy, physical activity rate and percent of adults with health insurance.
Quality of Life:*Percent of adults living below poverty-level, marriage rate, commute time (minutes), concentration of dining, bars & entertainment businesses and violent crime rate.

https://smartasset.com/data-studies/...-happiest-2022
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2023, 01:26 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,711,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
SmartAsset studied the 200 Largest Cities, here are their results:

Lots of upscale suburbs...

50 Cities Where Americans Are Happiest, 2022
1 Sunnyvale, CA
2 Arlington, VA
3 Bellevue, WA
4 Fremont, CA
5 Frisco, TX
https://smartasset.com/data-studies/...-happiest-2022
So much California. And I will say, people genuinely do seem happier in California. And I don't think it's fake in most parts of the state at least - I feel like in much of CA there's a vibe or something that just gets people excited about self-expression and going with the flow. I can't explain it, really.

Old 02-28-2023, 05:23 AM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
Interesting list, but I only see one category that's actually measuring happiness: number of poor mental health days. The other things are correlated with happiness, but so is church attendance (which is high in very different places from these wealthy suburbs), and they didn't include that.

As a point of contrast I'll bring up the World Well-Being Map from 2017, which extrapolated mood in different counties from tweets via AI models. It claims that the happiest areas of the country are parts of the Mountain West (Montana, Idaho, Colorado), northern New England, and parts of Georgia and Florida. The least happy places were northern Appalachia, rural Nevada, and spots across the Great Plains.

Old 02-28-2023, 11:02 AM

1,204 posts, read 793,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Interesting list, but I only see one category that's actually measuring happiness: number of poor mental health days. The other things are correlated with happiness, but so is church attendance (which is high in very different places from these wealthy suburbs), and they didn't include that.

As a point of contrast I'll bring up the World Well-Being Map from 2017, which extrapolated mood in different counties from tweets via AI models. It claims that the happiest areas of the country are parts of the Mountain West (Montana, Idaho, Colorado), northern New England, and parts of Georgia and Florida. The least happy places were northern Appalachia, rural Nevada, and spots across the Great Plains.
It's weird that the Mountain West while "happy" also has a fairly high suicide rate...

https://scitechdaily.com/images/Suic...erica-Maps.jpg

That area in Appalachia and also the area near Ozarks definitely matches up, though...

tl;dr: WV is depressing overall...

Old 02-28-2023, 12:08 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Where is St. Louis? (Lol)

It's funny how California is slammed now days but when it comes to health and wellness it always near the top.

Old 02-28-2023, 12:41 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Where is St. Louis? (Lol)

It's funny how California is slammed now days but when it comes to health and wellness it always near the top.
I don't really hear about California being slammed like that nowadays. In my experience, it still has a glorious reputation; it doesn't get slammed like Midwest states do. Even with the stereotypes, California has a lot of positive stereotypes attached to them.

Old 02-28-2023, 02:24 PM

211 posts, read 119,839 times
I really doubt those metrics. Moved from California to Chicago and I’m way happier.

Maybe with enough money parts of California are alright…… but the traffic. The inescapable petty crime. I’m not really seeing it as someone who lived there for around 10 years.

San Francisco can be a very pleasant city to walk around and chill in with good friends.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:05 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,085,339 times
Phoniest or happiest?

Old 02-28-2023, 03:09 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Rich people are the happiest who would’ve thought. In times of record inflation the economy bordering a recession people are drowning but rich people they are fine in times like this.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:23 PM

542 posts, read 557,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Rich people are the happiest who would’ve thought. In times of record inflation the economy bordering a recession people are drowning but rich people they are fine in times like this.
Rich people are going to be happiest when your criteria for happiness is wealth. A good chunk of the measurements used for this study are along the lines of "percent of adults below the poverty line" and "percent of people making $100k+ a year." It's pretty much all external measures about how close an area is to an imagined, pretty much completely material ideal for happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City