Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I move to?
Boston 27 29.35%
Phoenix 8 8.70%
Philadelphia 35 38.04%
Milwaukee 12 13.04%
Iowa City 2 2.17%
Madison 8 8.70%
Pittsburgh 17 18.48%
St. Louis 13 14.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,443 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm about to enter medical residency for internal medicine and have to rank the following cities in order of my preference: Boston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Iowa City, Albuquerque, Madison, Pittsburgh, St. Louis.

We have a 2-year-old son and we are very focused on him receiving a good education either through public or private schools, but we prefer public schools. We would also like a city with a reasonable cost of living. My wife and I are Nepalese and prefer some diversity as well.

During residency, my wife and I will have a combined income of roughly $200k - $225k. After residency, we will have a combined income of $500k - $700k. We are hoping to move once for residency and stay in that area permanently.

Right now, St. Louis is my top choice as it has a very reasonable cost of living with excellent public and private schools. Our next choice is Pittsburgh due to similar reasons. At the bottom of the list is Iowa City due to lack of diversity and it's a location that my wife doesn't really want to live in. Albuquerque doesn't necessarily have the best of schools and my wife isn't particularly keen on living there either. I'm not sure how to rank order Boston vs. Phoenix vs. Philadelphia vs. Madison. Boston has great schools and excellent diversity but a very high cost of living. Phoenix seems to have more mediocre schools with a high cost of living. Philadelphia seems to have a higher cost of living in schools with great neighborhoods. Madison seems to not have much diversity and can get really cold. Milwaukee has some reasonable schools (but I'm not sure they are on the same caliber of some of the other cities) and a reasonable cost of living, but can also get really cold. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 02:40 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Philly Milwaukee or Pittsburgh.
THen its a tie between Boston and Phoenix.

Old 01-18-2023, 02:48 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicalresident123 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm about to enter medical residency for internal medicine and have to rank the following cities in order of my preference: Boston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Iowa City, Albuquerque, Madison, Pittsburgh, St. Louis.

We have a 2-year-old son and we are very focused on him receiving a good education either through public or private schools, but we prefer public schools. We would also like a city with a reasonable cost of living. My wife and I are Nepalese and prefer some diversity as well.

During residency, my wife and I will have a combined income of roughly $200k - $225k. After residency, we will have a combined income of $500k - $700k. We are hoping to move once for residency and stay in that area permanently.

Right now, St. Louis is my top choice as it has a very reasonable cost of living with excellent public and private schools. Our next choice is Pittsburgh due to similar reasons. At the bottom of the list is Iowa City due to lack of diversity and it's a location that my wife doesn't really want to live in. Albuquerque doesn't necessarily have the best of schools and my wife isn't particularly keen on living there either. I'm not sure how to rank order Boston vs. Phoenix vs. Philadelphia vs. Madison. Boston has great schools and excellent diversity but a very high cost of living. Phoenix seems to have more mediocre schools with a high cost of living. Philadelphia seems to have a higher cost of living in schools with great neighborhoods. Madison seems to not have much diversity and can get really cold. Milwaukee has some reasonable schools (but I'm not sure they are on the same caliber of some of the other cities) and a reasonable cost of living, but can also get really cold. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Post residency, you’ll be able to afford a comfortable lifestyle in any of these cities - Yes, that includes Boston and surrounding suburbs.

It’s not my place to decide what your personal criteria looks like. But I’d recommend weighing opportunity with the part of the country that you want to live and practice in… That probably means schooling for your family, access to nature, cultural amenities, good food and drink. Whatever it looks like for you. Nobody else can determine or prioritize said criteria.

My perspective is - Cost of living often seems to sorts itself out for those that have the means to buy in ghat market.. Whether it’s through appreciation of homes or through income potential.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:09 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,653,945 times
Despite some of the BS you hear on this forum, St. Louis is a wonderful city and the third largest metro out of the cities in your poll and offers a ton of opportunity and amazing amenities at an exceptional value.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:17 PM

372 posts, read 203,197 times
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...s-why/2980715/

A nice link wherein National Geographic points out that Milwaukee is a pretty awesome place.

Old 01-18-2023, 05:26 PM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
I think Boston is probably your worst bet. If what I hear about residency compensation is correct a place like Pittsburgh or St Louis would be good.

Philly is also a good option if you want a big city

Like in Pittsburgh you can bring your kid to Pirates games, live in a nice apartment etc. on a pretty low salary. Even Philly bring a big market activities might be significantly more expensive than St Louis or Pittsburgh

Old 01-18-2023, 06:05 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
This just in on our segment called “Previously Unsaid Sentences in Human History” we have a new submission:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
THen its a tie between Boston and Phoenix.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:07 PM

14,015 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
This just in on our segment called “Previously Unsaid Sentences in Human History” we have a new submission:
Alas you forget they were the Phoenix Coyotes when ties were allowed in the NHL

Old 01-18-2023, 06:47 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,960 times
Pittsburgh I would say.

Avoid STL, that place is a mess.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:57 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
I personally wouldn't consider living anywhere else other than Phoenix, only because winter would be non-negotiable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City