Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2022, 09:04 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times

Advertisements

The elephant in the room is this:

-If you are black, you are more likely to identify a place with the South.

-If you are white, you are less likely to identify a place with the South.

I don't quite understand why, but I honestly don't care that much. But the observations I've made are pretty clear cut along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 09:17 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
I just don't understand how a state can stop being southern. Is Virginia going to stop being southern soon? How about North Carolina? Can a northern state stop being northern?
How can a place NOT change over time? Culture, economic foundations, ties to other places...all dynamic.

That doesn't point to any specific change, but changes do occur.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:25 AM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
How can a place NOT change over time? Culture, economic foundations, ties to other places...all dynamic.

That doesn't point to any specific change, but changes do occur.
Yes changes do occur but how does a state stop being southern though? What exactly makes Maryland northern? If North Carolina in 50 years end up being more like MD compared to the rest of the south, will it not be southern anymore?

Old 12-23-2022, 09:44 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I suppose it would depend on context. Maybe after 50 years it would be seen like Florida, geographically in the South but not culturally for the most part.

In the cast of Maryland and DC, "northern" culture, economy, etc., have grown over time, hence many people arguing that they're more north than south today.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:19 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

I don't quite understand why, but I honestly don't care that much. But the observations I've made are pretty clear cut along those lines.
I dont think that's true. I think White people are more likely to call WV or MD the south than Black people are.

Old 12-23-2022, 10:54 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I dont think that's true. I think White people are more likely to call WV or MD the south than Black people are.
I don’t know about it up there, but in Texas it’s the opposite. Ask any black folks in Texas and they will tell you proudly that they are in the south. White people are ashamed of saying they are from the south and May try to find anyway way possible to claim otherwise. And I don’t think it’s even an elephant in the room kind of thing it’s an obvious thing that everyone knows

Old 12-23-2022, 10:56 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:

Because white people don’t want to be associated with historic slavery, black don’t have anything be ashamed of in this aspect. The south being known as a racist region makes whites want to stay away from the narrative naturally.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:07 AM

1,348 posts, read 880,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t know about it up there, but in Texas it’s the opposite. Ask any black folks in Texas and they will tell you proudly that they are in the south. White people are ashamed of saying they are from the south and May try to find anyway way possible to claim otherwise. And I don’t think it’s even an elephant in the room kind of thing it’s an obvious thing that everyone knows
Same with Florida. Black people in Orlando and Miami consider themselves southerners. White people, not really.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:

From my perspective, I think it’s kind of the opposite. Although, I’m kind of guessing on what race people are on this site. It seems like Black people kind of want to dissociate from the South, since many blacks outside of the NE are stereotyped as being Southern. They subconsciously don’t want to be viewed as Southern, since that is the general stereotype for many Black Americans, so they try to dissociate from the South.

I don’t think Whites care as much. I am Polish American and originally from Maryland. I have no problem with it being called Southern. I have lived in Philly and Chicago (NE and North/Upper Midwest cities). Maryland feels much different than the North to me, and while I think MidAtlantic is the best designation, it is technically classified as Southern by the Census, and therefore, I have no problem if someone does classify it as Southern. I was born in the 80’s and growing up, MD had significantly more noticeable Southern culture. I remember seeing confederate flags in Western Howard County and hearing about the Klan. Thankfully, that has faded away from MDs culture.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:39 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Same with Florida. Black people in Orlando and Miami consider themselves southerners. White people, not really.
That's been my experience in Florida too. Especially Miami.
But it wouldn't be City Data if we didn't try to chop up areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City