Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For car free life, is NYC worth it over Chicago or Philly?
Yes 38 36.89%
No 65 63.11%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 11:36 AM

5,811 posts, read 11,528,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
You can livemin Hudson County NJ and get the benefits of being a short path ride to Manhattan, while also keeping the luxuries of amenities you would not have living in Manhattan. (ie, having a car and being able to access State Parks (Palisades, Passaic Falls, etc), Beaches (The Shore), Mountains (Poconos, NJ Highs, Catskills, Berks) etc). You don 't have that 'trapped and cannot leave' feeling you get living directly in Manhattan.

I think Weehawken/Fort Lee/Edgewater/Bayonne/Harrison/Hoboken/JC is a win-win if you have to work in NYC.

Since rents are up 40%+ YOY in Manhattan, a lot of people have gone to Jersey since the rent increases are less substantial and the price points are a good portion lower. I know one person whos Manhattan rent increased from 3600 to like 4800.. something like that. Never shut up on how greatit was to live in Manhattan. Then she moved to Jersey and is in work faster and takes far more daytrips. Has a bigger apartment for like 3300.
This has been an interesting thread to follow. As a former resident of the northern New Jersey burbs of NYC in the early 1990s, I am gasping at reading about the apartment rental costs there now. The same applies to many metros in the US.

As an American retiree for the past 5 years, I've spent about half the time living in Germany (car-free with bicycle and public transport pass). My nice apartment in a city of 250K residents costs just 650 USD or Euro (US dollar is at par value to Euro now), and that includes heat, hot water, trash, power, TV and high speed internet, and it is fully furnished and equipped! Also very quiet, and 10 minutes walk to downtown. It is the lowest cost city to live in Germany due to the abundance of vacant apartments to rent (vacancy rate is about 10%). The city has train or light rail running in 7 different directions from the city center. I am a one hour train ride to two large cities, Leipzig and Dresden. Berlin Airport is a 2 1/2 hour train ride with just 3 stops along the way, and Berlin city center is 15 minutes more. Prague is about 3 hours by train.

I have plenty of things to do here in Chemnitz, and also the region is great for bike riding. The train system allows bikes to be rolled aboard in designated train cars, so I can take a train trip in one direction and ride my bike home in the other direction. I can be out of the city area in a relatively short time or distance on my bike, and into forest or rural farm terrain. The Ore Mountains (Erzgebirge) are just south of the city, full of interesting and beautiful towns in terrain that looks somewhat like parts of eastern Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 01:08 PM

32,266 posts, read 35,050,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You can do those activities on the oceanfront parts of the city (generally the outer boroughs and especially in the Rockaways in Queens) though there is some kayaking and other water activities along the rivers.

NYC's been adapting the waterfront as an amenity for a long while now. However, wading into / swimming in the East River and Hudson River has its issues.

I'd like to see the FDR somehow removed though. I'd also like some alterations to Lake Shore Drive. I don't think it should be an expressway and I don't think it should cut through parks.
Yeah, he's clearly never been to Hudson River Park, which is understandable since a lot of native New Yorkers don't even know it exists. But it's absolutely amazing and is poised to be the best waterfront in the U.S. There's probably no other public works project in America that can compete with the amount of private money being invested into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ6kxYxyvI4

Old 07-08-2022, 01:22 PM

32,266 posts, read 35,050,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I"m glad NYC is finally getting around to making their waterfront into an amenity, but I don't think that will matter as Chicago has a great lake beach right off of their downtown.
Gansevoort Peninsula will have a beach.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90608902...h-in-manhattan

And this will be right across the street from the Whitney Museum and only a block away from the High Line.

At the risk of sounding like MDAllStar, what other city has $1 billion+ worth of public-private investment going into a public park?

Old 07-08-2022, 02:16 PM

17,729 posts, read 15,909,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, he's clearly never been to Hudson River Park, which is understandable since a lot of native New Yorkers don't even know it exists. But it's absolutely amazing and is poised to be the best waterfront in the U.S. There's probably no other public works project in America that can compete with the amount of private money being invested into it.

I made sure to visit this past Monday. One word: Stunning.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 2,363,754 times
It's debatable which waterfront is better. It's great how NYC is surrounded by water pretty much everywhere. And the city builds parks and amenities on an unrivaled scale. But, there is something draw dropping to me about having a massive ocean like lake right in the heart of the city. It's something you don't really get in Ocean cities which tend to be built more inland on rivers/bays. I prefer NYC to Chicago in general. But, damn Lake Michigan in the summer wows me every time.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:16 PM

10,230 posts, read 14,667,195 times
NYC waterfront edges out Chicago's for me. Chicago has some decent lakefront beaches and beautiful views, but NYC has many, many park and beachfront options that are simply incredible.

Plus, NYC's oceanfront is head and shoulders above Chicago's lakefront. Just a big personal preference.

One park tucked away, that few tourists go to is here in Brooklyn, Brooklyn Bridge Park. I walk up there several times a week.
It has forested trails that are hidden away in coves and nooks, and benches that you could swear you were in the middle of the woods somewhere else outside of the largest city in the country. Add in rooftop pizza, volleyball, kid's playgrounds, raquetball, soccer, baseball, boating, waterfront dining, bike trails, expansive lawns for sunning, picnics and lounging around in, coffee shops, bars, beer gardens, and much more, it's something that cannot be found in many cities.

https://www.brooklynbridgepark.org/

Old 07-08-2022, 03:37 PM

4,301 posts, read 3,398,300 times
Quote:

It's a glorified pier that doesn't interface with the water in any meaningful way.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:

And this will be right across the street from the Whitney Museum and only a block away from the High Line.

At the risk of sounding like MDAllStar, what other city has $1 billion+ worth of public-private investment going into a public park?
What other city is in a position where they have to spend this much to make waterfront areas places people want to spend their time at?

Old 07-08-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Interesting article, with some great insights into NYC life:

"But for Manhattan residents who would otherwise spend hours on public transit to get to a sandy shore like at Coney Island, the park’s beach is providing a rare amenity."

Of course, you can hop on the Expo Line in downtown Los Angeles and be at one of the most popular tourist beaches in the world in 45 minutes, but I guess we're not supposed to notice things like that.

If I"m reading these correctly, it looks like NYC is just playing catch up with places like Cincinnati and Pittsburgh in terms of waterfront activity.

Old 07-08-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmaximus View Post
I don't think anyone agrees with this lmao. Come to Chicago in the summer when the beaches are packed, all the lakefront parks are buzzing, and beautiful blue lake michigan is filled with boats and jets skis and try to tell me you agree with that statement.
The reality seems to be that Chicago has more of an ocean coast with a lake than NYC has with an ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City