Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2024, 06:02 AM

2,607 posts, read 2,960,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
I'd pick Guadalupe Peak NP since its near Carlsbad Caverns, I could do both in one visit. That and I can get my green chile fix just over the NM state line.

Taos, NM or Ouray, CO?
Ouray... Visited Taos as a kid/teen and feel like I saw enough that I'm not rushing to go back anytime soon. The "Switzerland of America" sounds like a much more intriguing destination.

Gavelston, TX or Gulf Shores, AL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2024, 11:44 AM

3,557 posts, read 3,494,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Ouray... Visited Taos as a kid/teen and feel like I saw enough that I'm not rushing to go back anytime soon. The "Switzerland of America" sounds like a much more intriguing destination.

Gavelston, TX or Gulf Shores, AL?
I have this weird feeling Galveston would have better architecture and more local things to do, while Gulf Shores would be better if you want a decent quality beach to swim in. I guess I'd narrowly lean Galveston. As I am a big architectural fan, and I long wondered about Galveston's architecture.

South Padre Island, FL, or Imperial Beach, CA?

Old 06-28-2024, 01:58 PM

16,717 posts, read 10,920,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I have this weird feeling Galveston would have better architecture and more local things to do, while Gulf Shores would be better if you want a decent quality beach to swim in. I guess I'd narrowly lean Galveston. As I am a big architectural fan, and I long wondered about Galveston's architecture.

South Padre Island, FL, or Imperial Beach, CA?
Do you mean South Padre Island, TEXAS? I'm not much into beaches, though if I were, I think that Imperial Beach has a better one. But what would sway it for me is that Imperial Beach is close to San Diego, one of my favorite cities. There really isn't much in the Rio Grande Valley that would interest me from a tourist perspective.

Bar Harbour, ME or Martha's Vineyard, MA?

Old 06-28-2024, 10:41 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,441,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Do you mean South Padre Island, TEXAS? I'm not much into beaches, though if I were, I think that Imperial Beach has a better one. But what would sway it for me is that Imperial Beach is close to San Diego, one of my favorite cities. There really isn't much in the Rio Grande Valley that would interest me from a tourist perspective.

Bar Harbor. I’m sure I’d enjoy Martha’s Vineyard, but I’ve always wanted to visit Acadia NP where the Appalachians meet the sea…

Bend, OR or Ouray, CO

Old 06-29-2024, 10:33 PM

4,025 posts, read 2,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Bar Harbor. I’m sure I’d enjoy Martha’s Vineyard, but I’ve always wanted to visit Acadia NP where the Appalachians meet the sea…

Bend, OR or Ouray, CO
Bend. Would have more that interests me. Pensacola or Titusville FL?

Old 07-01-2024, 07:36 AM

13,994 posts, read 8,340,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Pensacola or Titusville FL?
The Pensacola area has nicer beaches IMO; but I'd pick Titusville so I can eat at Dixie Crossroads, which is one of my all-time favorite restaurants.

Russell County, Kentucky or Suwannee County, Florida?

Old 07-01-2024, 08:04 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,010,694 times
Russell. Both are probably places I wouldn't consider unless if I lived near there, but it's not as hot as FL this time of year, and there is a larger lake along with hillier terrain. Yes, its a bit redneck-y and smaller, but so is Suwanee County, which is mostly just flat farmlands and forests despite being larger, with its largest town (Live Oak) not featuring enough distinctive attractions to really pay a visit, and is mostly a "rest stop" town for I-10 travelers. Russell Springs at least has a small community theater for D-grade entertainment, but its more drawn for "country" adventures, so I'd probably focus on boating and hiking along its portion of the Cumberland River. A couple days would probably be all I need though, given that I've already been to Gatlinburg in this part of the country and would probably be bored after awhile.

Continuing the counties theme game on this board:

Cape May County, NJ or Horry County, SC?

Old 07-01-2024, 10:37 AM

10,817 posts, read 24,074,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Russell. Both are probably places I wouldn't consider unless if I lived near there, but it's not as hot as FL this time of year, and there is a larger lake along with hillier terrain. Yes, its a bit redneck-y and smaller, but so is Suwanee County, which is mostly just flat farmlands and forests despite being larger, with its largest town (Live Oak) not featuring enough distinctive attractions to really pay a visit, and is mostly a "rest stop" town for I-10 travelers. Russell Springs at least has a small community theater for D-grade entertainment, but its more drawn for "country" adventures, so I'd probably focus on boating and hiking along its portion of the Cumberland River. A couple days would probably be all I need though, given that I've already been to Gatlinburg in this part of the country and would probably be bored after awhile.

Continuing the counties theme game on this board:

Cape May County, NJ or Horry County, SC?
In the summer, Cape May County for sure. It's the best part of the Jersey Shore. Victorian Cape May, the honky tonk boardwalk in Wildwood, scenic and upscale Stone Harbor. The Atlantic side has excellent beaches to play in the waves. The Delaware bay side has a bunch of tide flats with lots of horseshoe crabs. Inland has some nice small farms and cranberry bogs. It's one of those places I could spend a whole summer and not leave.

Door County, Wisconsin or Washington County, Maine?

Old 07-01-2024, 06:36 PM

3,557 posts, read 3,494,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Yes I meant South Padre Island, Texas. That was a typo, and I apologize for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
In the summer, Cape May County for sure. It's the best part of the Jersey Shore. Victorian Cape May, the honky tonk boardwalk in Wildwood, scenic and upscale Stone Harbor. The Atlantic side has excellent beaches to play in the waves. The Delaware bay side has a bunch of tide flats with lots of horseshoe crabs. Inland has some nice small farms and cranberry bogs. It's one of those places I could spend a whole summer and not leave.

Door County, Wisconsin or Washington County, Maine?
Of these 2 while I like Door County, I'd lean Washington County since I've never visited there before. Nor to anywhere(for now, hope that changes one day), within the state of Maine.

And thanks to a comment in a different comparison thread(one of these 2 communities I had weirdly never heard of before, btw), I'll compare these 2 in the state of Missouri. Ste. Genevieve, or Arrow Rock? (latter is a little west of Columbia and Boonville, for those who've never heard of that town)

Old 07-02-2024, 07:22 AM

13,994 posts, read 8,340,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
And thanks to a comment in a different comparison thread(one of these 2 communities I had weirdly never heard of before, btw), I'll compare these 2 in the state of Missouri. Ste. Genevieve, or Arrow Rock? (latter is a little west of Columbia and Boonville, for those who've never heard of that town)
I'll go with Ste. Genevieve. While Arrow Rock does look like an interesting place to visit, Ste. Genevieve has been on my radar for a while; and thanks to a genealogy study, we found out my wife has ancestors who lived there -- so there's the added personal connection.

Mentone, Alabama or Mentone, Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City