Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 11:04 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Can’t speak on Miami but I’m wondering if Houston score is the way it is due to Houston’s city limits expanding way beyond the core of the city. I’d assume maybe if the city limits was just in the 610 loop maybe it’d be a 100 but when you have the city limits stretching out to conservative areas then I can see how it could get that rating. Comes with annexing so much land.
Houston’s large city limits will always hurt itself in so many different categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 12:43 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Why? Detroit as a city is very progressive on LGBT issues and has been for years.

Anyways, seems like every major city (except Houston) got a 100.
Kansas City (MO) only got a 94.

Lawrence, Kan., a half-hour to its west, got a 98, and the edge city of Overland Park got a 96.

But I'm curious about the reporting of protections afere looking at the scores for Kansas CIty (KS), Overland Park and Lawrence.

Quote:
Can’t speak on Miami but I’m wondering if Houston score is the way it is due to Houston’s city limits expanding way beyond the core of the city. I’d assume maybe if the city limits was just in the 610 loop maybe it’d be a 100 but when you have the city limits stretching out to conservative areas then I can see how it could get that rating. Comes with annexing so much land.
Since the scores are for government policies and practices, how and where the city limits are drawn marrers not at all.

One of the things I wonder about is the reporting of scores on nondiscrimination ordinances/laws. These categories, the first ones on the list, are both split in two (one for sexual orientation, the other for gender identity), and figures are given for the state, county and municipal level. A maximum score at any one of these levels gives a maximum score for the category.

But I swear there are aoms cities where the report indicates that there are protectinos at the stage level as well as at the municipal. I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania has yet to adopt statewide antidiscrimination laws covering sexual orientation or gender identity, for instance.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:50 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Birmingham, Alabama, earned a perfect score.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:12 AM

382 posts, read 488,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
St. Louis and Columbia Missouri has 100% Kansas City scored 94

Tennessee cities of Memphis 48 and Nashville 78 are low. This could possibly eventually impact convention business in both places.

North Carolina Charlotte 62 and Raleigh 64 are low. They seemed ok when I lived there but was a bit conservative but nothing overwhelming.
In two years, Nashville's score has gone from 60 to 78 so I'm just thankful there's been so much progress in a short amount of time. Can't say the same for other TN cities that were ranked.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Houston looks like it loses 30 points for not having certain LGBT laws.
Don't think it has much to do with the city limits in this case.

For example I think Houston lacks the unisex bathroom law thing.
I'm shocked that it doesn't because just about every commercial property has them.

That just shows that data should be used in proper context.
Houston seems to do poorly on paper as to LGBT protections on comparison to Jackson Mississippi.
But I would think LGBT people would feel just as comfortable in Houston as in Jackson in Practice.

Is the same with employment laws.
Jackson may have laws protecting LGBT people from being fired, but the lack of said law in Houston doesn't mean people are getting the boot because they are gay.

Its better if cities pass these laws but without them doesn't mean cities without them are somehow worse for LGBT as in a big city like Houston getting fired for being Gay would draw serious backlash.

Hopefully Houston gets these laws on the books soon. If Fort Worth has them there is no reason why Houston which is a little more liberal can't get them past. Houston did elect an LGBT mayor and I'm surprised she didn't get it done

Old 12-09-2020, 07:49 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

For example I think Houston lacks the unisex bathroom law thing.
I'm shocked that it doesn't because just about every commercial property has them.

That just shows that data should be used in proper context.
Houston seems to do poorly on paper as to LGBT protections on comparison to Jackson Mississippi.
But I would think LGBT people would feel just as comfortable in Houston as in Jackson in Practice.

Is the same with employment laws.
Jackson may have laws protecting LGBT people from being fired, but the lack of said law in Houston doesn't mean people are getting the boot because they are gay.

Its better if cities pass these laws but without them doesn't mean cities without them are somehow worse for LGBT as in a big city like Houston getting fired for being Gay would draw serious backlash.

Hopefully Houston gets these laws on the books soon. If Fort Worth has them there is no reason why Houston which is a little more liberal can't get them past. Houston did elect an LGBT mayor and I'm surprised she didn't get it done
Youre spinning it too much. Cant put lipstick on this pig. Houston does extremely poorly in laws that protect of LGBT people.

Houston isnt liberal but rather libertarian on social issues. Houston doesnt like regulations. That can manifest in liberal or conservative ways. For example, Houston is one of the most illegal immigrant friendly places in the country but Houston also has the same view on guns. Do you, just dont get any on me. But that means also that Houston doesnt like to tell businesses what they can and cannot do. In Houston, you cannot fire someone for being gay but that has nothing to do with Houston. The Supreme Court decided on that last year.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
You are saying exactly what I am saying but spinning even more.

I simple said it needs the laws because it looks bad in theory but in practice there is no difference without them. You spun a great deal of specifics in the very same thing I said

Old 12-10-2020, 10:16 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Since the scores are for government policies and practices, how and where the city limits are drawn matters not at all.
Ordinarily, this is correct. But if I remember correctly, in Houston's case, it did have a comprehensive NDO originally enacted via city council, but then interference from the state courts caused it to be recast as a city-wide popular referendum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_H..._Proposition_1

Old 12-10-2020, 10:18 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Houston’s large city limits will always hurt itself in so many different categories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Houston isnt liberal but rather libertarian on social issues. Houston doesnt like regulations. That can manifest in liberal or conservative ways. For example, Houston is one of the most illegal immigrant friendly places in the country but Houston also has the same view on guns. Do you, just dont get any on me. But that means also that Houston doesnt like to tell businesses what they can and cannot do. In Houston, you cannot fire someone for being gay but that has nothing to do with Houston. The Supreme Court decided on that last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post

Houston's city limits have very high minority composition, well beyond the majority-minority threshold. So any conservative influence in terms of limiting the MEI score most would ultimately have manifested in a similar manner as seen recently with the Cubans in South Florida: sway of the voters en-masse with the creation of a "boogeyman." Hence how a full-scale, comprehensive NDO got reduced to a "Bathroom Law."
https://www.mediamatters.org/diversi...ghts-ordinance

In addition, the field for the referendum was set up entirely from the external meddling that took place from over a year prior. Interference from not only the greater county outside Houston proper, but also from state courts as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_H...nd_and_results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City