Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top northeastern U.S. suburb?
Westchester County (Bronxville, Scarsdale, Rye, Larchmont) 17 12.78%
Main Line (Gladwyne, Villanova, Merion Station, Bryn Mawr, Haverford) 22 16.54%
Western Boston Suburbs (Newton, Wellesley, Dover, Weston) 24 18.05%
DC's MD Suburbs (Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Potomac) 11 8.27%
DC's VA Suburbs (McLean, Great Falls, Falls Church, Tyson's) 10 7.52%
North Shore, Long Island (Great Neck, Oyster Bay, Old Westbury) 10 7.52%
Gold Coast, CT (Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan) 39 29.32%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 12:19 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Stop putting us in a region that we don't belong in. This isn't the great migration, people aren't running to the north anymore.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 12-05-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 12:33 PM

724 posts, read 403,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You forgot one:

Southern United States

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Deleware
Florida
Georgia
Maryland
Washington DC
Virginia

West Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Alabama
Kentucky
Mississippi
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
Oklahoma
Texas

Northern United States:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_United_States

Connecticut
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Maine
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
Wisconsin
I have to admit, being from Michigan, this is generally how we view The North and The South.
Although, for anyone who has spent time in the Mid-Atlantic region, while Maryland, DC, and Virginia (Northern Virginia) are “technically” in The South, they definitely have an asterisk because they are not the traditional South in the way most people think of that region.

I admit that before I lived in Philly, I would not have known this (because prior to that I had only been to DC once as a young child). But going to college in Philly, I visited Baltimore, DC, and Northern Virginia several of times and they are not what I think of as “The South.” Although in fairness, they felt different to “The North” (Philly, NJ, and NYC. Which I am familiar with). So I think the best compromise is Mid Atlantic, even if they are technically in The South

Old 12-05-2020, 12:46 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Silver Spring, age-wise, developed its "downtown" sometime between Alexandria and Arlington/Bethesda. I remember seeing the Silver Theater on the main street just up from the B&O railroad station on a train I took from Washington to Chicago in 1970. It's an Art Deco gem, and at the time, it dominated Silver Spring's main street.

Now it almost gets lost among the mega-malls that surround it. Those shopping complexes also IMO drown out the office buildings.

The thing that ties Silver Spring, Arlington and Bethesda together is:

The arrival of Metro jump-started booms in each that dramatically transformed their appearance.

All of the communities we've been talking about around New York and Philadelphia have looked pretty much the way they do now for several decades, as they formed around the railroads when they were new, or in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. White Plains, the Westchester County seat, is the principal exception to this rule, as its downtown grew markedly after about 1970.

Most of the cities we're talking about around Boston were mill or factory towns that emerged in the 1830s, 1840s and 1850s. They were indeed separate cities from Boston, whose suburbs grew around them. Kendall Square in Cambridge's current form is of much more recent provenance — and it redeveloped many decades after the subway arrived there. Other factors account for its transformation.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
I have to admit, being from Michigan, this is generally how we view The North and The South.
Although, for anyone who has spent time in the Mid-Atlantic region, while Maryland, DC, and Virginia (Northern Virginia) are “technically” in The South, they definitely have an asterisk because they are not the traditional South in the way most people think of that region.

I admit that before I lived in Philly, I would not have known this (because prior to that I had only been to DC once as a young child). But going to college in Philly, I visited Baltimore, DC, and Northern Virginia several of times and they are not what I think of as “The South.” Although in fairness, they felt different to “The North” (Philly, NJ, and NYC. Which I am familiar with). So I think the best compromise is Mid Atlantic, even if they are technically in The South
People need to change their narrow views of the south. There is not need for an asterisk because (only speaking for Baltimore) it is what it has always been. People do all kinds of mental gymnastics to get the world to fit into what views instead fitting their views into the world. That is one of the reasons why people don't consider Miami part of the south, because it doesn't fit nice and neatly into their view of the south. Maryland is the south, so don't expect it to function like a northern state would. Some posters are on a Fool's errand trying to convince themselves otherwise.

Old 12-05-2020, 01:31 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
People need to change their narrow views of the south. There is not need for an asterisk because (only speaking for Baltimore) it is what it has always been. People do all kinds of mental gymnastics to get the world to fit into what views instead fitting their views into the world. That is one of the reasons why people don't consider Miami part of the south, because it doesn't fit nice and neatly into their view of the south. Maryland is the south, so don't expect it to function like a northern state would. Some posters are on a Fool's errand trying to convince themselves otherwise.
I think that two of the things that throw people off about Maryland and northern Virginia are the two big cities.

The culture of Washington, as I've noted already, is far from Southern — it's its own creature entirely, one shaped by the growth of the Federal government since World War II.

But while you can definitely pick up the Southern heritage and legacy in Baltimore, the city is industrial in a way no other Southern city comes close to matching (Birmingham maybe, but that's it). The stereotype of the Southern city is more genteel and (dare I say) sleepy than Baltimore. (Again, Atlanta and Charlotte now both defy this stereotype, but not in a way that makes them look or feel more like Baltimore.)

Old 12-05-2020, 01:55 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think that two of the things that throw people off about Maryland and northern Virginia are the two big cities.

The culture of Washington, as I've noted already, is far from Southern — it's its own creature entirely, one shaped by the growth of the Federal government since World War II.

But while you can definitely pick up the Southern heritage and legacy in Baltimore, the city is industrial in a way no other Southern city comes close to matching (Birmingham maybe, but that's it). The stereotype of the Southern city is more genteel and (dare I say) sleepy than Baltimore. (Again, Atlanta and Charlotte now both defy this stereotype, but not in a way that makes them look or feel more like Baltimore.)
Changing radically after WWII is a Southern Characteristic. Like Charlotte and Atlanta. Even MARTA and WMRTA are sister networks funded by Carter

Old 12-05-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

But what makes DC culture far from southern? Why can't its culture be an iteration of southern culture? Baltimore is an industrial southern city. Parts of NJ look it can fit right into SC somewhere and nobody could tell the difference, but people don't debate whether NJ is southern.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:44 PM

724 posts, read 403,058 times
Quote:
Yeah, I see your point. Over time regions have changed. "The South" in places like Raleigh Durahm, Atlanta, and other places, are no longer stereotypical "South." I was in Chapel Hill last year and barely heard a single southern accent, and saw all kinds of diversity (Asians, Latinos, South Asians, Whites, Blacks). Definitely not the sterotypical south. Miami is another example, like you point out. So I agree with you that what we think of as "The South" cannot really be put into a single box anymore. MD, DC, and Northern Virgina, are examples too, as you point out. But old habits and thoughts die hard, lol.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:27 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
But what makes DC culture far from southern? Why can't its culture be an iteration of southern culture? Baltimore is an industrial southern city. Parts of NJ look it can fit right into SC somewhere and nobody could tell the difference, but people don't debate whether NJ is southern.
No southern accent by the majority... no known southern local cuisine culture....blue city surrounded by blue states.....education attainment and religious affiliations more akin to its northern peers...dominance of northern chains and lacks of southern ones.......just a few things off the top of my head..

And I'm saying that I'm specifically talking about the DC area so you don't come back with "Bmore is South" rhetoric because I'm not talking about BMore nor is this thread about BMore per usual. Plus I thought you didn't care about DC so why ask.

Last edited by Ebck120; 12-05-2020 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
No southern accent by the majority... no known southern local cuisine culture....blue city surrounded by blue states.....education attainment and religious affiliations more akin to its northern peers...dominance of northern chains and lacks of southern ones.......just a few things off the top of my head..

And I'm saying that I'm specifically talking about the DC area so you don't come back with "Bmore is South" rhetoric because I'm not talking about BMore nor is this thread about BMore per usual. Plus I thought you didn't care about DC so why ask.
I'm always interested in other people's perspective. I want to know how someone can logically, and confidently call a city (DC) that is south of another southern city (Baltimore) a northern city. Every reason that you gave for why DC is not southern proves that the south has those "qualities." It's paradoxical and ironic. Why are you Begging and Pleading for northern acceptance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City