Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most associated with the United States?
New York City 127 78.88%
Los Angeles 48 29.81%
Chicago 23 14.29%
DC 37 22.98%
Philadelphia 7 4.35%
Houston 4 2.48%
Dallas 6 3.73%
Atlanta 3 1.86%
Miami 6 3.73%
San Francisco 6 3.73%
Boston 4 2.48%
Seattle 6 3.73%
San Diego 5 3.11%
Other (specify) 6 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 04:56 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
But not as a city, as the capital. If DC wasn't the capital, it wouldn't be nearly as well known. It's first the capital, then a city.
I know we try to downplay this ....

but this is very true. Growing up I really did not know that Washington DC was a city and not just an area where the government was. Didn't feel that way about Chicago LA NYC. Maybe it was just me...but I do think many people especially abroad think of it as 'the government' before they do a city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 05:04 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,104 times
Interesting link to blog from pre-Pandemic times (almost hard to remember but not forgotten).
Basically. used Trivago.com of travellers from Europe targeting which USA cities by Country.

Link/blog says.
Here are the top U.S. destinations that are most popular with Europeans this summer (updated 2017),
but originally from 2013 and ONLY ONE SOURCE - trivago.com

U.S. Cities That Europeans Love.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/infog...-fav_b_3765836

What it basically says US cities targeted by which European Nations.
- British love Disney World -- outnumber Germans in Orlando, Chicago, Boston.
- French travelers prefer parties and beaches, Italians head to big cities.
- Las Vegas attracts German and British in huge numbers.
- Dutch have strong presence in Florida

1. New York City
22% German
21% British
13% Italian
11% French
10% Spanish
5% Swedish
4% Irish
14% Other

2. Las Vegas
35% German
32% British
8% French
4% Italian
4% Spanish
4% Dutch
3% Irish
10% Other

3. Miami
30% German
18% French
15% British
13% Italian
4% Spanish
4% Swedish
3% Dutch
13% Other

4. San Francisco
35% German
24% British
8% French
8% Italian
6% Spanish
3% Dutch
3% Swedish
13% Other

5. Los Angeles
31% German
21% British
13% French
9% Italian
6% Spanish
4% Swedish
3% Dutch
13% Other

6. Orlando
54% British
16% German
9% Irish
5% French
4% Dutch
2% Italian
2% Swedish
8% Other

7. Boston
36% British
21% German
12% Italian
10% Irish
6% French
5% Spanish
3% Dutch
7% Other

8. Chicago
27% British
24% German
12% Spanish
9% Italians
9% Irish
6% French
3% Swedish
11% Other

9. Washington D.C.
25% German
24% British
8% Italian
8% Spanish
8% French
5% Swedish
4% Irish
17% Other

10. San Diego
38% German
27% British
9% Italian
7% French
4% Irish
3% Swedish
3% Dutch
9% Other

11. Honolulu
32% German
23% British
14% Italian
10% French
4% Spanish
3% Danish
3% Swedish
11% Other

12. Key West
38% German
17% British
9% French
6% Dutch
6% Italian
5% Danish
5% Swedish
15% Other

Old 10-25-2020, 08:43 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
New York
La
DC
and possibly Vegas and Miami

Those names ring the most bells internationally

As far as cities that represent America the most,

IMO thats Philly, Chicago, and Dallas.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:25 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Without reading the thread I voted for NYC, LA, DC. These are the cities mentioned he most when I travel abroad.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:07 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Without reading the thread I voted for NYC, LA, DC. These are the cities mentioned he most when I travel abroad.

I agree that’s about what I hear too. Then probably Miami, Vegas, SFO, Boston...

Old 10-26-2020, 09:48 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeBill View Post
International recognition, the top 5 are definitely NYC, LA, Chicago, SF and DC. Pretty much no debate there.
Oh there's plenty of debate there
Those are probably the top most powerful US cities but that is not the same as international recognition.

There is ridiculously high prejudice against non-legacy cities. Miami fir instance is greatly slept upon by you guys. So it's Atlanta. Vegas too has more name recognition than SF. Again just because SF is important to tech doesn't mean that people are able to make the association with SF.

People don't whip out their phones and say they are going to use their San Francisco.

NY, LA, Miami, Las Vegas,DC and Atlanta are blasted over the TV, movies and radio daily.
In terms of international recognition SF and Chicago are in the bottom half of the top 10 in league with Boston and Philadelphia.

Importance =/= recognition.

Brussels is probably one of the most important cities in Europe. I am sure more than half the people who read this will be thinking "Brussels? What's so special about Brussels"

Its because although it's very important, unless you are glued to EU happenings, it's just not that commonly talked about. Unlike more talked about capitals like DC or media darling capitals like Paris or London.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:20 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Miami is not a top destination to or for all Asians but it certainly holds its own with Europe—just scroll up this page to Nohyping’s post—and the Middle East.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:35 AM

Agree....Latin America represents the dominant population and there is a tiny Asian population in Miami—but it certainly has a European and Middle East born presence. I know that firsthand as I have foreign born friends here from Istanbul, Paris, Marseille, Amsterdam, Warsaw, Madrid, Tel Aviv, Morocco, Moscow, St Petersburg, Minsk—in addition to Hispanics, Canadians and Americans—and I tend to stick mostly in a somewhat limited social circle (Brickell, Coral Gables, Grove, Miami Beach).

“Associated with” can also include familiarity with a city through pop culture (music, film, etc) whether one has actually visited that city or not, there are direct flights there or not, and/or is a foreign born resident living there. I’ve never been to Singapore but have become more “familiar” with it (even considering a visit now) every time “Crazy Rich Asians” comes on...Before I traveled to Rio I knew of it or “associated” it (Sugarloaf, Carnaval, Christ the Redeemer statue) from a James Bond flick. I’ve never been to Moscow but associate Red Square with it.

Certainly not definitive by any means, but I just did a Google search for what I perceive the most recognizable landmark of SF--The Golden Gate Bridge--and came up with 134,000,000 results. A Google search for Silicon Valley yielded 299,000,000 results. The same search for South Beach yielded far more than both of these, or 2,800,000,000, results. I'm not necessarily saying Miami is more popular around the globe based on this or anything else--but its appeal and "familiarity" is not limited to just Latin America, either, as some incorrectly suggest.

One thing for certain: neither SF or Miami are THE city most associated with the USA

Quote:
San Francisco is still more diverse in it's %, whereas Miami is overwhelmingly just Latin American.

Being a gateway for Latin America isn't the same as being a gateway for a host of others. It's not as if SF doesn't have recognition amongst Latin America either.

Last edited by elchevere; 10-26-2020 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 11:22 AM

South Beach...read above.

Quote:
I'd still give SF the edge between the two on a global recognition scale.

What is a globally recognizable symbol for Miami vs. SF?

Old 10-26-2020, 11:40 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
I'd still give SF the edge between the two on a global recognition scale.

What is a globally recognizable symbol for Miami vs. SF?
You are using logical fallacies to justify your opinion.
San Francisco may have more international residents.
San Francisco may have more iconic structures.

But is it CURRENTLY more out there in popular culture?

To be honest I can't think of one thing I could pull out from a line up and associate it with Miami.
But I can assure you if I would think of cities I hear about most when I am not here, more often than not Miami would be in the first 5 while SF would be in the second.

The thing with logical fallacies, the fallacy lies in your logic, not the facts used to reach your conclusion.
Think of it. Would the city with the higher foreign born population, ie more non-Americans be the poster child for associated with Americans? No! So using foreign born population solely does not make your case even though it is a fact.

I may be able to sell cars like crazy and show proof as a fact that I have sold the most cars in the US this year. But does that fact make me the most recognizable car salesperson or the person most associated with selling cars?

No.

I may be totally wrong about this. It's just my opinion based on how prevalent each city is in media today.
You may be totally correct that SF has a bigger association.
But you can't convince of that with just population statistics. Show us the slew of TV shows from SF in relation to Miami. Show us all the music from Artists based in SF and constantly repping their city. SF is a pop culture powerhouse. No denying that. It's just that I think Miami is just more or there right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City