Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is SF or Miami more iconic outside the US?
SF Bay Area--Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley 57 64.77%
Miami--South Beach, Little Havana 30 34.09%
Neither--Cleveland is more famous than both, because of Lebron and the Cavaliers, and NBA is big internationally! 1 1.14%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd quibble that NYC and LA are #1 and #1A, DC #2 simply because it's the capital and appears in world news so frequently. Then a huge step down. Asians will know west coast cities better than east coast cities. Random person in Seoul or Taipei will be more likely to know San Francisco than Miami. Latin America will know Miami since it's the gateway city.

Since 4 1/2 billion of the 7 1/2 billion people on the planet live in Asia, I'm going to have to go with San Francisco.
This. Even if we assume that JUST China, nowhere else in Asia, is more familiar with SF than Miami... that is 19 percent of the world's population... Add in Indonesia, and you have as many people as all of North America, South America, and Europe COMBINED.

Also, don't forget the global brands that likely have some association to some degree, almost universally (Facebook, Google, Apple, Oracle, SalesForce, etc.). Don't discount Africa either which almost certainly on avg. knows SF more.. Africa will eventually come close to matching Asia in population if current trends hold, even now, Africa is far more populous than either of the Americas or Europe, almost as large as India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 10:20 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
How am I a southerner? I mostly live in New York. I only get salty in the Miami ocean. Thanks for reposting my post though.
Very welcome.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:23 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

San Francisco, on the other hand, is extremely well known in Asia. And yet San Francisco is also extremely well known in Europe and Latin America. The Golden Gate Bridge, for example, is more iconic than anything in Miami. Then you have Silicon Valley, which makes news all around the world more often than Miami does. (Silicon Valley technically is the Bay Area, often considered Greater SF). Cities around the world market themselves as the Silicon Valley of China, of India, of Europe, of Brazil, of this or that country or region.

Agree. GG Bridge is one of the most recognizable structures in the world. Miami is beautiful, but a cruise ship with a nice beach front is pretty common in this world.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:24 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
This. Even if we assume that JUST China, nowhere else in Asia, is more familiar with SF than Miami... that is 19 percent of the world's population... Add in Indonesia, and you have as many people as all of North America, South America, and Europe COMBINED.

Also, don't forget the global brands that likely have some association to some degree, almost universally (Facebook, Google, Apple, Oracle, SalesForce, etc.). Don't discount Africa either which almost certainly on avg. knows SF more.. Africa will eventually come close to matching Asia in population if current trends hold, even now, Africa is far more populous than either of the Americas or Europe, almost as large as India.
Based on what? The most Googled cities in Nigeria are the following (in order).

New York
Houston
Washington, DC
Chicago
Atlanta
Dallas
Los Angeles
Miami
Boston
San Francisco
Philadelphia

I don't think SF is one of the first U.S. cities that comes to mind for the average Nigerian. Outside of NYC, which will get more searches simply because it's NYC, Houston is easily the most "thought about" U.S. city in Nigeria, which is consistent with Houston's large Nigerian population.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:31 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Based on what? The most Googled cities in Nigeria are the following (in order).

New York
Houston
Washington, DC
Chicago
Atlanta
Dallas
Los Angeles
Miami
Boston
San Francisco
Philadelphia
I find it hard to believe Houston would be more famous in Nigeria than DC or LA or SF.

I think much of it has to do with immigration. Most Nigerians do not have PCs. The ones who have PCs are the ones who are relatively affluent and who are more likely to have relatives who can afford to immigrate to the US, preferably to areas with a large Black population, which San Francisco doesn't have. Which US city is actually more well known by its landmarks and industry in Nigeria is a different question.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I find it hard to believe Houston would be more famous in Nigeria than DC or LA or SF.
Houston is an outlier because it has such a large Nigerian community. But I don't find it hard to believe that Miami is a more frequent search term than SF.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:36 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
True to an extent. When I'm in Asia or Australia, it's SF by FAR. Latin America, Europe and Canada is definitely Miami more.

Not sure about Africa.
Not all of Canada, though. I'm sure to the average resident of Vancouver, SF is on his mind more than Miami.

I'm also pretty sure SF is popular with European tourists, too.

California is also hugely popular among Hispanics as Florida is, although that may be due more to LA. Speaking of which, do you think LA or Miami has more recognition in Latin America? I think in Mexico LA might be more recognized than Miami, which seems to be more Caribbean and South American centric.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Interesting stats...thanks...re: Instagram, I’m willing to bet 90% for that is due to the hot Miami Instagram babes who post...lol.
That and simply a whole lot of vacays in Miami.

A lot of people will probably pooh pooh IG stats. Admittedly, they don't tell the whole story or close to it. At the same time, a lot of people (especially the 40+ crowd) don't fully appreciate what a cultural force it has become. Without IG, you're in the dark on about 98% of the things happening in your city on any given day.

That said, people today are getting way more info from Instagram than they are from traditional media. I don't think it's even close. So IG has to be considered at least as much if not more than print media, TV, surveys, etc.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:16 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post

Why would Africans "almost certainly" know SF more than they would Miami?

Also, as for these companies, yes, they are HUGE. However, does this mean that the average foreigner knows where they are headquartered? Or do they just know that they are American brands, HQ'd somewhere in the U.S.?
Does the average American know what city Toyota is headquartered in? Or just that it's a major car brand HQ'd somewhere in Japan? (It's HQ'd in the city of Toyota. I'd wager most don't even know such a city exists. And yes, it is a big city.)

I think a lot of Americans are far overestimating the global awareness of their cities. After NYC, LA and DC, it's a huge blur for most of the world.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:17 AM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
Miami is more well known everywhere except in Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City