Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 03:02 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
MA doesn’t exist in a bubble.
Yeah, but I think the OP wants us to pretend it does for the thread. That's why I didn't mention Providence in my ranking (or Nashua/Portsmouth for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 03:02 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
It’s not at all 2x the population.

You’re talking about lab space that doesn’t exist in 2020

You’re ignoring culture

Worcester has TONS of blight. More than literally anywhere in Bristol County in just Worcester. I don't know why we cant just say that, admit it and move on when it comes to Worcester. It looks like an absolute pit in its core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDxHcLlKdyU

Providence is still important to MA. new Port Block Island and Providence are still attractive to many in MA. MA doesn’t exist in a bubble.
Well that's what the point of this forum is. We're literally comparing the MSA parts of each state and to say Bristol County is more important than Worcester County is just flat out wrong.

So yes, MA is in a bubble in this particular forum because that's the point of what the post is. And yes, Worcester has blight, but Bristol cities lack the amenities that Worcester has. There just isn't a comparison between Worcester and Fall River and New Bedford.. were just comparing bottom of the barrel MA towns.

So yes, Worcester County (Worcester MSA) Is more important than the Providence MSA in MA (Just Bristol County MA). The bubble had to be there for this comparison because that's the point of what we're talking about lol. If we add RI, PVD is obviously the more powerful MSA. No question

Old 10-17-2020, 03:07 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Well that's what the point of this forum is. We're literally comparing the MSA parts of each state and to say Bristol County is more important than Worcester County is just flat out wrong.

So yes, MA is in a bubble in this particular forum because that's the point of what the post is.
Idk because technically Providence is a part of an MSA in Mass. That's the reality. It's like trying to separate NYC from CT-its not that simple. But I wouldn't go that far to fully count Providence because I think that'd be disingenuous.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Idk because technically Providence is a part of an MSA in Mass. That's the reality. It's like trying to separate NYC from CT-its not that simple. But I wouldn't go that far to fully count Providence because I think that'd be disingenuous.
Okay then let's switch up the lingo here. Bristol County MA (its own separate MSA) vs Worcester County MA (its own separate MSA).

It just would be against OPs parameters if I included anything outside State boundaries. But if we can bring in touching MSAs in it's entirety we'd have the privledge of bringing in Albany MSA too. Which would also switch things up. And Hartford too. (Hartford Springfield MSA? )

But without a doubt, we are on the same page.. Providence is undoubtedly the most powerful metro outside Boston if we included RI. But Bristol County alone? Yeah no.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
SC

In 2000, the "Big Three" of Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville/Spartanburg were all more or less considered to be on par with each other with none really showing signs of breaking from the pack. After them would be Myrtle Beach; Hilton Head-Beaufort wasn't designated as a metro area back then.

Things have changed a bit over the past 20 years with the recession serving as a an important turning point in several respects. The "Big Three" are still more or less on par with each other, but rapidly-increasing domestic migration to the state; key economic developments like Boeing, Volvo, and a more competitive port; and its emergence as a premier East Coast tourist destination have all worked in Charleston's favor to make it the breakout star among its peers. It also reclaimed its status as the state's largest municipality which should be officially verified by this year's Census numbers, landed the state's first nonstop international destination (a seasonal flight to London), became a cruise port of call, and it was recently announced that Boeing is moving all production of the 787 Dreamliner to Charleston. Charleston is now among the fastest-growing metro areas in the country and second-fastest in the state after Myrtle Beach, and although it's still third in size among the Big Three, its GDP has squeaked past Columbia's and Greenville's to be largest within the state.

Greenville has made notable strides over the past two decades based on the region's automotive sector in particular anchored by BMW and the strength and notoriety of its revitalized downtown for which it has become a national model for other cities looking to do the same. It has used that momentum to aggressively market itself for business and tourism purposes which is certainly paying off. I'd put it right behind Charleston in terms of growth and momentum.

Columbia is third at the moment but is still in a pretty good position. Due to a more stable local economy based on state government, USC, and Fort Jackson and sectors like law and FIRE that largely serve the state, it didn't have much of a need to be as economically competitive and aside from an attempt to establish a research campus at USC, it more or less coasted on autopilot until the recession (which basically killed that attempt). Since then it has had to play catch-up with varying degrees of success; it lost a few local corporate headquarters due to mergers and acquisitions such as energy company SCANA and a few banks, but it has experienced gains on the manufacturing side. The removal of the Confederate flag from Statehouse grounds put it in rotation as host of NCAA tournament games, USC rapid growth kicked off a building boom benefitting downtown overall, and the redevelopment of the former state mental health campus downtown caught the eye of the NY Times. There are definitely positive trends in place with opportunities for future economic growth.

Myrtle Beach and the Charlotte suburbs are next, in that order. Their growth has been phenomenal since 2000 with Myrtle becoming the fastest-growing metro on the East Coast. Economically there hasn't been anything really groundbreaking happening there outside of tourism but the completion of I-73 in the near future could change that considering it doesn't even have interstate access right now. Fort Mill, Indian Land, and Rock Hill have really racked up on the corporate relocations and expansions, especially companies formerly based in Charlotte that decided to hop over the state line with the planned Carolina Panthers HQ complex to be built in Rock Hill serving as the latest example.

Florence and Hilton Head-Beaufort, designated an MSA after the 2010 Census, round things out. The latter is still progressing in the vein it has always been in whereas downtown Florence is undergoing a quiet yet impressive revitalization of its own (as has downtown Spartanburg which I'm lumping with Greenville in this post).

Old 10-17-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
Winston-Salem is 100% ahead of Greensboro. 100%.
Absolutely not. Greensboro is far more powerful than Forsyth County.

By no metric does Forsyth out beat Guilford. That's just wrong.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. Greensboro is far more powerful than Forsyth County.

By no metric does Forsyth out beat Guilford. That's just wrong.
Yep. Greensboro also benefits from having High Point in its MSA and Guilford County whereas Winston-Salem doesn't get a comparable boost from a neighboring smaller city.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Okay then let's switch up the lingo here. Bristol County MA (its own separate MSA) vs Worcester County MA (its own separate MSA).

It just would be against OPs parameters if I included anything outside State boundaries.

But without a doubt, we are on the same page.. Providence is undoubtedly the most powerful metro outside Boston if we included RI. But Bristol County alone? Yeah no.
I know honestly next to nothing about Worcester County except Worcester Auburn Sutton and I think Fitchburg Leominster and maybe Hopkinton and Shrewsbury. Ik Shrewsbury is important. Because it provide workers to the Boston MSA.

Bristol is more densely populated and more urbanized. Worcester has 270k more people

Worcester:
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...ter-county-ma/

Bristol:
https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...tol-county-ma/

Worcester is marginally more wealthy 78k median income verse 70k.

More educated too 37% BA or higher vs 30%.

Home values are marginally higher in Bristol. 330k vs 310k

Povetry is marginally higher in Bristol 11% vs 9%.

For proximity to Boston, density, proximity to vacation destination, history, cultures and proximity to Providence I'd rather go with Bristol. None of its disadvantages are big. Worcester County only looks decent because of the easern part of the MSA travles I-90 to Boston easily. Its only the Worcester MSA because the county is enormous. So much truly unknown space.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:26 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
SC

In 2000, the "Big Three" of Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville/Spartanburg were all more or less considered to be on par with each other with none really showing signs of breaking from the pack. After them would be Myrtle Beach; Hilton Head-Beaufort wasn't designated as a metro area back then.

Things have changed a bit over the past 20 years with the recession serving as a an important turning point in several respects. The "Big Three" are still more or less on par with each other, but rapidly-increasing domestic migration to the state; key economic developments like Boeing, Volvo, and a more competitive port; and its emergence as a premier East Coast tourist destination have all worked in Charleston's favor to make it the breakout star among its peers. It also reclaimed its status as the state's largest municipality which should be officially verified by this year's Census numbers, landed the state's first nonstop international destination (a seasonal flight to London), became a cruise port of call, and it was recently announced that Boeing is moving all production of the 787 Dreamliner to Charleston. Charleston is now among the fastest-growing metro areas in the country and second-fastest in the state after Myrtle Beach, and although it's still third in size among the Big Three, its GDP has squeaked past Columbia's and Greenville's to be largest within the state.

Greenville has made notable strides over the past two decades based on the region's automotive sector in particular anchored by BMW and the strength and notoriety of its revitalized downtown for which it has become a national model for other cities looking to do the same. It has used that momentum to aggressively market itself for business and tourism purposes which is certainly paying off. I'd put it right behind Charleston in terms of growth and momentum.

Columbia is third at the moment but is still in a pretty good position. Due to a more stable local economy based on state government, USC, and Fort Jackson and sectors like law and FIRE that largely serve the state, it didn't have much of a need to be as economically competitive and aside from an attempt to establish a research campus at USC, it more or less coasted on autopilot until the recession (which basically killed that attempt). Since then it has had to play catch-up with varying degrees of success; it lost a few local corporate headquarters due to mergers and acquisitions such as energy company SCANA and a few banks, but it has experienced gains on the manufacturing side. The removal of the Confederate flag from Statehouse grounds put it in rotation as host of NCAA tournament games, USC rapid growth kicked off a building boom benefitting downtown overall, and the redevelopment of the former state mental health campus downtown caught the eye of the NY Times. There are definitely positive trends in place with opportunities for future economic growth.

Myrtle Beach and the Charlotte suburbs are next, in that order. Their growth has been phenomenal since 2000 with Myrtle becoming the fastest-growing metro on the East Coast. Economically there hasn't been anything really groundbreaking happening there outside of tourism but the completion of I-73 in the near future could change that considering it doesn't even have interstate access right now. Fort Mill, Indian Land, and Rock Hill have really racked up on the corporate relocations and expansions, especially companies formerly based in Charlotte that decided to hop over the state line with the planned Carolina Panthers HQ complex to be built in Rock Hill serving as the latest example.

Florence and Hilton Head-Beaufort, designated an MSA after the 2010 Census, round things out. The latter is still progressing in the vein it has always been in whereas downtown Florence is undergoing a quiet yet impressive revitalization of its own (as has downtown Spartanburg which I'm lumping with Greenville in this post).
The SC suburbs of Charlotte do kind of get overlooked in conversations either about Charlotte or SC.

That's easily my favorite part of the state, and also my favorite part of the Charlotte metro area.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Yeah, but I think the OP wants us to pretend it does for the thread. That's why I didn't mention Providence in my ranking (or Nashua/Portsmouth for that matter).
Nashua and Portsmouth MSA isn't in MA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City