Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 09:38 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yup

Perception of commonly Boston is this or this

When in reality much of it is simply this and this ..three deckers galore.
You are right. Most of Boston is actually Dorchester and Roxbury, full of rundown triple deckers, pothole roads, strip malls, weeds growing everywhere, and heroin addicts. It's a city that has very successful PR. They make it sound like Dorchester and Roxbury are the exceptions of Boston, when in reality it's a huge chunk of what we call Boston! It's like if people only thought of Chicago as the Loop and Lincoln Park, but Chicago doesn't have as good of a PR department, even tourists know about the other side of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 05:15 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
You are right. Most of Boston is actually Dorchester and Roxbury, full of rundown triple deckers, pothole roads, strip malls, weeds growing everywhere, and heroin addicts. It's a city that has very successful PR. They make it sound like Dorchester and Roxbury are the exceptions of Boston, when in reality it's a huge chunk of what we call Boston! It's like if people only thought of Chicago as the Loop and Lincoln Park, but Chicago doesn't have as good of a PR department, even tourists know about the other side of Chicago.
Chicago wouldn't be the best example. Boston literally has two neighborhoods with horrible crime rates, Mattapan and Dorchester. Roxbury is actually quite nice now. The big difference is Boston turns leafy, green and crazy rich right when you cross the city borders into Milton, Newton, Brookline, Cambridge etc. You get spots like Chelsea and Everett.. but it's still one of the nicest cores out there.

I don't think my gripe about Boston would be it's road conditions and it's PR. Because Boston is world class. We all know that. The big issue with Boston is it charges $3,000 for a 1 bedroom apartment in a neighborhood that isn't even that great. It's literally making the rich areas richer and the poor areas of Boston poorer. Although the rich areas outnumber the poor areas by a wide margin, it's making Boston look like a rich mans paradise with no consideration for the working class. It's the reason I moved out. I miss Mass and I settled for NJ, but it's becoming increasingly unrelatable.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:21 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
it should be an enforceable law to respond to the census.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:43 PM

795 posts, read 482,559 times
Quote:
Look at Seattle's response man (67.7%). It's the only major city that's not a suburb in the top 10. Clearly deserving of its high tech, well-educated reputation.
Quote:

Get your digs in. I can be snarky too... Seattle had Chop, but only Boston is the rundown city.... right.... City projection much?

Boston's rough neighborhoods, Mattapan, Dorchester and Roxbury are NOT "most of" Boston.

Boston has Charlestown, South Boston, Seaport, Downtown, North End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay and Fenway, West Roxbury, Readville, Hyde Park, Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, South End, Jamaica Plain, Brighton, Allston, Chinatown, Mission Hill, Financial District and Leather District. I may be leaving out a few.

Boston is not perfect by any means, but it isn't the hell hole you're trying to make it sound like. It's like any other US City - has it's safe neighborhoods and it's dangerous neighborhoods.

I guess I'm surprised it doesn't have a slightly higher response rate to the Census, but I didn't expect it to be the top of the list either..

Last edited by CinderFella7; 07-05-2020 at 05:52 PM..

Old 07-05-2020, 06:22 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
Get your digs in. I can be snarky too... Seattle had Chop, but only Boston is the rundown city.... right.... City projection much?

Boston's rough neighborhoods, Mattapan, Dorchester and Roxbury are NOT "most of" Boston.

Boston has Charlestown, South Boston, Seaport, Downtown, North End, Beacon Hill, Back Bay and Fenway, West Roxbury, Readville, Hyde Park, Dorchester, Roxbury, Mattapan, South End, Jamaica Plain, Brighton, Allston, Chinatown, Mission Hill, Financial District and Leather District. I may be leaving out a few.

Boston is not perfect by any means, but it isn't the hell hole you're trying to make it sound like. It's like any other US City - has it's safe neighborhoods and it's dangerous neighborhoods.

I guess I'm surprised it doesn't have a slightly higher response rate to the Census, but I didn't expect it to be the top of the list either..
Well said. Definitely has a much liveable and prettier core than any Northeast city. Maybe the whole country. Very functional, world class and pristine. And some of the safest suburbs/districts/cities are in greater Boston to compliment it's core. Every city has their bad parts, New York has Bronx/Washington Heights/Jamaica/Williamsburg/Parts of Nj... Chicago has south side.. DC has everything east of Union Station. Boston has dot, Brockton, Mattapan and Chelsea.

Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Seattle's pretty much an inferior version of Boston by that logic.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Clover View Post
Seattle's pretty much an inferior version of Boston by that logic.
No. In Seattle the homeless are everywhere in downtown. The tent encampments are near the I-5 on ramps around the city core. It's very obvious to any tourist that Seattle is a rich city with some major homeless issues.

Boston is different. Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Seaport look very glamorous to the tourist, with very little seedy elements. The tourists don't see the triple deckers in Dorchester or the open drug use at South Bay.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:51 PM

795 posts, read 482,559 times
Quote:
Look at the area and population of Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury as a share of Boston. It's huge! Naming tiny ass neighborhoods like Chinatown, Mission Hill and Readville doesn't change the fact that Dorchester/Mattapan/Roxbury takes up a significant amount of Boston in area and population.

Yes, they are large areas of land. Yes, Dorchester is roughly 19% of Boston's population.

I'm simply responding to your posts with innuendo's that Boston (and also) Chicago are basically cesspits while Seattle is this 24k gold city. Before you criticize other cities, maybe you should look at Seattle's faults too.

This was your quote: "Look at Seattle's response man (67.7%). It's the only major city that's not a suburb in the top 10. Clearly deserving of its high tech, well-educated reputation."

Yes, Seattle has a high response rate to the Census. Doesn't make it better than any other US City. I will dispute any comments that ooze a superiority attitude. If that wasn't your intention then I apologize. But what I'm reading screams "We're better than you."

Seattle is no better than any other US City.

Last edited by CinderFella7; 07-06-2020 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-06-2020, 05:59 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Look at the area and population of Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury as a share of Boston. It's huge! Naming tiny ass neighborhoods like Chinatown, Mission Hill and the Leather District doesn't change the fact that Dorchester/Mattapan/Roxbury takes up a significant amount of Boston in area and population.
There are nice areas of Dorchester and Roxbury. Boston isn’t like Most cities neighborhoods outside of the orginal 2sq mile city are former towns and thus massive.

Old 07-06-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderFella7 View Post
Yes, they are large areas of land. Yes, Dorchester is roughly 19% of Boston's population.

I'm simply responding to your posts with innuendo's that Boston (and also) Chicago are basically cesspits while Seattle is this 24k gold city. Before you criticize other cities, maybe you should look at Seattle's faults too.

This was your quote: "Look at Seattle's response man (67.7%). It's the only major city that's not a suburb in the top 10. Clearly deserving of its high tech, well-educated reputation."

Yes, Seattle has a high response rate to the Census. Doesn't make it better than any other US City. I will dispute any superiority attitude. Seattle is no better than any other US City.
Seattle can have a massive homeless problem and still have a high tech, well-educated reputation. They are not mutually exclusive. Look it up, Seattle has the highest college grad share of population among major US cities. In another post, I said Seattle's homeless problem is very obvious and visible to any casual tourist. You see it in downtown, on the waterfront, and under the I-5 onramps.

The defensiveness from some of you Boston natives is hilarious. All BostonBornMassMade and I did was point that Boston has some gritty parts such as in Dorchester and Roxbury, parts that the typical tourist will never see, in fact they are a significant amount of Boston in both area and population. Walking around triple deckers around Fields Corner or even in Roslindale is a very different feel of Boston than walking around the rowhouses in Back Bay or Beacon Hill. Is this even controversial? You guys make it seem like I said something blasphemous, which is ridiculous and a testament to your collective butthurt.

And yeah, 87 people got shot this past weekend in Chicago. Seattle? 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City