Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 04:19 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

Greenville is a poor man's Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 09:48 PM

274 posts, read 173,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
[/b]

I never been to Buffalo, Milwaukee and Salt Lake City. But can you give me your definition of a poor man's version of a city? I ask this because of COL in Reno is about the same as Salt Lake.
Honestly a lot of it has to do with bias for Salt Lake City, although if the stats at Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site are true, then Reno has a slightly higher unemployment rate, lower median income etc. I'm might be nitpicking though.

Last edited by Yac; 04-27-2020 at 06:19 AM..

Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 AM

212 posts, read 147,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I would expand it to New York rather than Brooklyn.
why all of NYC, I see it similar to Brooklyn

Old 04-22-2020, 06:49 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
Brantford is a poor man's Hamilton

Las Cruces is a poor man's Tucson

Buffalo is a poor man's Milwaukee

Flint is a poor man's Windsor

Surrey is a poor man's Brampton

Burlington is a poor man's Oakville

Miami is a poor man's Palm Beach

Reno is a poor man's Salt Lake City
Are you talking about Miami of Ohio because it surely can’t be the Florida variety.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:20 PM

212 posts, read 147,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Are you talking about Miami of Ohio because it surely can’t be the Florida variety.
im guessing hes from canada

Old 04-27-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In hindsight maybe that was a bit too ambitious, but I was answering more for quality of life than Economic Opportunity. I know that hands down is the economic hub in Florida, and much better more fast paced than Palm Beach, but after that, Palm beach wins for a 3% unemployment rate opposed to 6 percent in Miami, The average income of a Palm Beach resident is $129,941 a year, opposed to 54,000 in Miami,and much safer, Although the population has nothing on Miami even if you include West Palm Beach and surrounding suburbs. But yeah I agree Palm Beach has nothing on Miami in terms of nightlife,opportunity, and tourism but it's much richer, safer than Miami, and seems to be a type of place where lots of people retire. Maybe I shouldn't call Miami a "Poor Version" of a much smaller city, but palm beach is pushing above it's weight for a City of it's size.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy42 View Post
im guessing hes from canada
Correct lol, but I grew up in Buffalo, and moved to Canada when I was much younger.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:21 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
not sure I would refer to Miami as a poor man's Palm Beach (not questioning the wealth of PB, rather the understating of wealth in Miami which can hold its own).....estates selling for upwards of $60M--that includes Miami, not just Miami Beach--are not what I would label as "poor".

Ten Most Expensive Homes In Miami

maybe a place like Myrtle Beach, SC or Sea Island, GA (where estates 'only' sell for $4-12M--not $60M) or elsewhere might be a better 'poor' sister analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbroo View Post
Brantford is a poor man's Hamilton

Las Cruces is a poor man's Tucson

Buffalo is a poor man's Milwaukee

Flint is a poor man's Windsor

Surrey is a poor man's Brampton

Burlington is a poor man's Oakville

Miami is a poor man's Palm Beach

Reno is a poor man's Salt Lake City

Last edited by elchevere; 04-27-2020 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-28-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
not sure I would refer to Miami as a poor man's Palm Beach (not questioning the wealth of PB, rather the understating of wealth in Miami which can hold its own).....estates selling for upwards of $60M--that includes Miami, not just Miami Beach--are not what I would label as "poor".

Ten Most Expensive Homes In Miami

maybe a place like Myrtle Beach, SC or Sea Island, GA (where estates 'only' sell for $4-12M--not $60M) or elsewhere might be a better 'poor' sister analogy.
Fair point. Stats don't represent the whole picture.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:30 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Seattle seems like a poor man's San Fran.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City