Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:32 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
What?

It's amazing how many people think Minneapolis and St. Paul are completely separated by the Mississippi. I wish the two cities would merge already and stop confusing all the ignoramuses.
gladhands was saying something that's basically in line with what you're saying--that the Twin Cities really should count as one and that going by the arbitrary limits of city boundaries for Minneapolis against Detroit. That's true, and as pointed out, it's not a very accurate comparison. It's weird that you quoted him but then ellipsis'd out the part that gives it the context and actual meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 09:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
What?

It's amazing how many people think Minneapolis and St. Paul are completely separated by the Mississippi. I wish the two cities would merge already and stop confusing all the ignoramuses.
It's really quite clear: The OP separated Minneapolis and St Paul, but put Minneapolis, alone, on the same tier as Detroit. No one is saying that The Twin Cities and Detroit are peers. Nor are we saying that they need to be evaluated individually. What we're saying is that if you DO evaluate them individually, Minneapolis is not a peer of Detroit.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:50 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Upper Midwest (Rural): Montana, Dakotas, Minnesota.

Upper Midwest (Urban): Minneapolis, Milwaukee Metro areas.

Chicagoland: Chicago Metro Area.

Central Midwest (Rural): Iowa, the rest of Illinois, Nebraska.

Central Midwest (Urban): Kansas City and St. Louis Metro Areas.

Great Plains: Kansas, Oklahoma, Eastern Colorado.

Rust Belt (Urban): Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh Metro Areas.

Rust Belt (Rural): Anything above outside the metro areas.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:13 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
^Guessing “rust belt” is every city in the eastern time zone?

Old 10-09-2017, 12:09 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
^Guessing “rust belt” is every city in the eastern time zone?
Sounds about right.

Although historians lump in parts of PA and NJ into the "Rust Belt" like Harrisburg and Trenton, NJ.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:07 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's really quite clear: The OP separated Minneapolis and St Paul, but put Minneapolis, alone, on the same tier as Detroit. No one is saying that The Twin Cities and Detroit are peers. Nor are we saying that they need to be evaluated individually. What we're saying is that if you DO evaluate them individually, Minneapolis is not a peer of Detroit.
I get it. I'm just curious as to what city tiers you think Detroit and Minneapolis belong to or who their peers are.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:24 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
I get it. I'm just curious as to what city tiers you think Detroit and Minneapolis belong to or who their peers are.
The Twin Cities and Detroit definitely make up tier two. I think just about everyone would agree on that. If we were to separate the Twin Cities, Minneapolis would be in the third tier with Cleveland, St. Louis etc. I kind of agree with those who say it doesn’t make sense to separate the Twin Cities, since they basically function as one.

Edit: I just read the post you replied to, and saw the typo that caused all the confusion. I meant to say “No one is saying that Detroit in the Twin Cities AREN’T peers”.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:48 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Sounds about right.

Although historians lump in parts of PA and NJ into the "Rust Belt" like Harrisburg and Trenton, NJ.
I wouldn't exclude Saint Louis or Milwaukee from the rust belt myself. Both are far more akin to a Cleveland than STL is to KC or Milwaukee is to Minneapolis. Conversely, Indy is not really a rust belt city at all.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Indy and Columbus have surprisingly diverse, strong economies. They may be bland places to live overall, but their economies are solid.
The bland comment is really a tired stereotype. Putting aside the fact that Columbus's core is rapidly densifying and that there's a crane on almost every other block in the Central Columbus, there are several suburbs that are anything but bland and most Americans would be lucky to live in e.g. Bexley, Grandview Heights, Old Worthington, Upper Arlington, Uptown Westerville etc.

To answer the OP's question regarding the three C's of Ohio I would say the general sentiment is that there is no one dominant city. Everyone kind of has their own preference of which metro they prefer the best but population wise and GDP wise the three metros are more similar than different.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
The bland comment is really a tired stereotype. Putting aside the fact that Columbus's core is rapidly densifying and that there's a crane on almost every other block in the Central Columbus, there are several suburbs that are anything but bland and most Americans would be lucky to live in e.g. Bexley, Grandview Heights, Old Worthington, Upper Arlington, Uptown Westerville etc.

To answer the OP's question regarding the three C's of Ohio I would say the general sentiment is that there is no one dominant city. Everyone kind of has their own preference of which metro they prefer the best but population wise and GDP wise the three metros are more similar than different.
Do you think it’s also a tired stereotype when applied to Indianapolis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City