Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 11:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
No. You assume these people are racist rather quickly, with zero context. Several of them happen to be black, and they feel exactly the same.

They collectively all hate the Airport. These people are also loyal to American, but can't stand the former USAir employee's they inherited there. I've dealt with them as well, and they can be curt and nasty. It's a horrible impression to visitors.

They usually take Acela to NY, and are shocked at the blight and abandonment in full view.

All of them complain about rude and blunt behavior.

These are all educated and urbane people, but SoCal is a world away from Philly on every level.

They all enjoy the Dining scene, and most have commented positively on Old City. They just generally do not enjoy going there at all, and this is a group of 27 people.

Those airport employees., ESPECIALLY US Airways are among the rudest I've ever encountered, and that's saying a lot since you get lot's of it from most airlines across the country.
As far as the trash near the tracks, yep it needs to be cleaned. Ever since Dr. Oz was in town and exposing the Heroin epidemic in the city and showing the trash and homeless camps setup under the rail lines, there's been much discussion of who's to maintain the cleanup and pay for it. Amtrak, Septa, City or State? I think they're making Amtrak foot the bill and maintain the properties, and the city will impose major fines for illegal dumping. I'm guessing they'll install cameras everywhere. (We'll see how that one goes)

I'm not really offended by people who don't like the city for one reason or another, as long as those reasons are legit..., and just not some "I'll throw this 30 year old stereotype against the wall and see if it sticks." Especially when it's based on what someone said they heard from some other out of towners.
Anyway, I've seen it FAR WORSE in the late 70's to early 80's., with slight improvement in the early 90's but not by much... By 2002 when I returned from the west coast for a year I saw quite some changes, and even a much bigger change now. In another decade it'll be fine for the most part as long as the plans they have stay on course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:49 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
In my experience it is quite the opposite. So much so it is difficult for my national employer to schedule training classes here as no one from the rest of the country is interested in visiting here for a week. Also, the folks that like Philly tend to be into grungy "blue collar" cities with "character" and an urban feel. More educated world travelers are into places like Toronto, NYC, SF, DC, Boston, which have a smaller amount of those attributes, but offer so much more in terms of cleanliness, safety, clean efficient transit, etc.
Regardless of any of our anecdotes, the fact of the matter is that Philly attracts plenty of folks from all walks of life, visitors and residents alike. Millions of them, in fact. At the very least, I think its fair to say that the national consciousness about Philly is that there's some history here, and it may not have a super glamorous or pristine reputation, but there's definitely interest in at least checking the city out.

I'm also going to go out on a limb here and say that, when folks are spending upwards of $700k on homes in Kensington, the city obviously has a large and growing pool of educated, upwardly-mobile people.

Quote:
Septa subway stations in Center City Philly still smell like urine with trash about, etc. Dumpy and unsafe feeling in other words.
Have to disagree. Although I know that trash and urine smells aren't unheard of, 1) you're kidding yourself if you don't think cities like NYC, SF, DC or Boston don't have the same, or worse, ridiculous overcrowding issues, and 2) CCD/SEPTA have really stepped up their game in terms of cleanliness issues.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-26-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,628 times
I'm black and I can't speak for every African american here. Everyone sees Philly through a different pair of lenses. Personally I have a love hate relationship with Philly. Love the food, the nightlife, things to do, proximity to beaches and other cities, etc. I hate the trash, dirty water and the fact that Philly doesn't have a black middle class. Or should i say there's no safe African American neighborhoods. Sometimes I like to be around educated black people. That means DC, Atlanta and a few other cities. You would think with all the colleges Philly has, we would have a higher number of educated blacks here. Don't get me wrong. there are some. But you have to go out and find them.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
I'm black and I can't speak for every African american here. Everyone sees Philly through a different pair of lenses. Personally I have a love hate relationship with Philly. Love the food, the nightlife, things to do, proximity to beaches and other cities, etc. I hate the trash, dirty water and the fact that Philly doesn't have a black middle class. Or should i say there's no safe African American neighborhoods. Sometimes I like to be around educated black people. That means DC, Atlanta and a few other cities. You would think with all the colleges Philly has, we would have a higher number of educated blacks here. Don't get me wrong. there are some. But you have to go out and find them.
Ditto., I can't say I agree 100% with the black middle class issue you're probably feeling because you've just seemed to touch on that and I don't want to read more into it.

At my age though, I can recall a few things in the city like Mt. Airy, Wynnfield, Overbrook, and West Oaklane being "Those" places in the city........35-40 years ago. Also, Yeadon, Sharon Hill, and Ambler also representing that in the burbs and Willingboro, and Williamstown in Jersey. I knew people in those areas and still have family and relations in a few of them, but a funny thing is the parents who moved to those areas from neighborhoods in say,parts of South Philly, and West Philly, as well as parts of North Philly may still reside there if they haven't headed South., i.e. Georgia, The Carolinas, or Florida.

The offspring or grand children have also left those areas for Center City and the surrounding nabes, or Chestnut Hill, Upper Northeast, or University City and they're just among the many others in the melting pots of those places. Or they've also headed to more spacious areas outside the city that aren't "Traditional" to where upwardly mobile and blacks have moved to. So there's just no one area in the city or burbs any longer that the black middle class have settled into.

Truthfully there are some black hoods in the city that are "Jacked Up" and it sheds a bad light on anyone "Choosing" to relocate here over a few other places that can offer that environment. I feel though, that as the city continually adds jobs attracting professionals, we'll see more come into the city....at least for work, because we all have the same requirements for our children when it comes to neighborhood safety and schools for our children. The "White Flight" theory in some aspects is part myth because there were a large number of black families who left the city too.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:01 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post

I had a gay friend that was really into black guys and said the same thing. He would go to DC to meet educated middle class black folks as he felt Philly was sorely lacking in that regard.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Those airport employees., ESPECIALLY US Airways are among the rudest I've ever encountered, and that's saying a lot since you get lot's of it from most airlines across the country.
As far as the trash near the tracks, yep it needs to be cleaned. Ever since Dr. Oz was in town and exposing the Heroin epidemic in the city and showing the trash and homeless camps setup under the rail lines, there's been much discussion of who's to maintain the cleanup and pay for it. Amtrak, Septa, City or State? I think they're making Amtrak foot the bill and maintain the properties, and the city will impose major fines for illegal dumping. I'm guessing they'll install cameras everywhere. (We'll see how that one goes)
It's Conrail's property, btw.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:52 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Serious question. What is the big draw to bring people to Philly beyond old American history? Please don't bash me for asking that question. I really want to know what people not interested in history would get out of going to that city instead of going to NYC, Boston, Washington D.C.
As someone from the Northeast, not a whole lot. It's a surprisingly LARGE city, I'll give it that but compared to other cities in the vicinity it has history, sightseeing, a walkable bar scene (South Street), and OK food. Apparently the suburbs are pretty nice and somewhat more affordable than a lot of NJ.

Say what you want about Philly, but I haven't heard too many rave reviews about Pittsburgh either.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Ditto., I can't say I agree 100% with the black middle class issue you're probably feeling because you've just seemed to touch on that and I don't want to read more into it.

At my age though, I can recall a few things in the city like Mt. Airy, Wynnfield, Overbrook, and West Oaklane being "Those" places in the city........35-40 years ago. Also, Yeadon, Sharon Hill, and Ambler also representing that in the burbs and Willingboro, and Williamstown in Jersey. I knew people in those areas and still have family and relations in a few of them, but a funny thing is the parents who moved to those areas from neighborhoods in say,parts of South Philly, and West Philly, as well as parts of North Philly may still reside there if they haven't headed South., i.e. Georgia, The Carolinas, or Florida.

The offspring or grand children have also left those areas for Center City and the surrounding nabes, or Chestnut Hill, Upper Northeast, or University City and they're just among the many others in the melting pots of those places. Or they've also headed to more spacious areas outside the city that aren't "Traditional" to where upwardly mobile and blacks have moved to. So there's just no one area in the city or burbs any longer that the black middle class have settled into.

Truthfully there are some black hoods in the city that are "Jacked Up" and it sheds a bad light on anyone "Choosing" to relocate here over a few other places that can offer that environment. I feel though, that as the city continually adds jobs attracting professionals, we'll see more come into the city....at least for work, because we all have the same requirements for our children when it comes to neighborhood safety and schools for our children. The "White Flight" theory in some aspects is part myth because there were a large number of black families who left the city too.
Thank you for this post because parts of my family, pretty much, fit what you described.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:08 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Though attacked on this thread for my posts, I have gotten a huge amount of rep points. Seems many out there agree with me about this city.
Why would anyone attack you? Honestly, I don't know which is sadder-living somewhere you hate for decades () or spending precious time online (when they could be escaping said city, if only temporarily) to talk about their hate for it.

I hope your life eventually improves.

Anyway, as for Boston and Philly-my Mom is from Boston and we visit at least once a year-she has lived in Philly for 30+ years though. I vastly prefer Philadelphia in just about any capacity from the look/feel to the people and food, architecture, and more. In fact every single relative that has visited from Boston has absolutely loved Philly and finds it to be very underrated compared to Boston-most have said Philly seems like a "bigger city" and "more urban" than Boston. It is also a consensus that Philly has much better food and bars/nightlife.

Cape Cod vs Jersey Shore? Cape Cod is scenic, but a better beach day will almost always be had at the Jersey Shore-with much warmer water and a longer season. It takes me 1.5 hours to get to Sea Isle City from Germantown. The Cape is 2+ hours from the city with ridiculous traffic. When I get to my family's home in Sea Isle I park the car and forget about it-we walk to the beach, bars, restaurants, etc. In Cape Cod people often have to drive to the beach -forget about walking to a bar or restaurant. So yeah, it is nice to visit every now and again-but when I want a BEACH DAY-Jersey Shore all day. Island Beach State Park is also a beautiful and scenic beach if one wants to get away from all the development.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 07-26-2017 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Thank you for this post because parts of my family, pretty much, fit what you described.
Kool, I think our families represent some of the same neighborhoods. I lived on N 55th between Thompson and Master, through high school and had family in the surrounding neighborhoods including Overbrook, Overbrook Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City