Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 01:01 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Yes, pretty much. A lot of the transplants in Atlanta from the Philly area reinforce it, lots of 'Negadelphians' here.

My clients on the West Coast beoytch constantly as well when they have to go there, some calling it a larger Newark.

I personally don't think it's as bad as the perception/reputation was 10 to 15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:41 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes, pretty much. A lot of the transplants in Atlanta from the Philly area reinforce it, lots of 'Negadelphians' here.

My clients on the West Coast beoytch constantly as well when they have to go there, some calling it a larger Newark.

I personally don't think it's as bad as the perception/reputation was 10 to 15 years ago.
Clients on the west coast are that racist? They beoytch because they have to go to a larger version of Newark? Newark, a city dominated and run by African-Americans...hmmm...I love the undertones in comments like this. I bet your clients are otherwise very liberal PC types...lol.

These clients don't like Phillly because its ''too black"...interesting.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:36 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Clients on the west coast are that racist? They beoytch because they have to go to a larger version of Newark? Newark, a city dominated and run by African-Americans...hmmm...I love the undertones in comments like this. I bet your clients are otherwise very liberal PC types...lol.

Using Newark or Camden denotes levels of blight present. Sunbelt cities also have high African-American and other Black groups like from some Caribbean nations. Atlanta especially and even a Houston has a high-level of Black or African Americans. These cities rarely get called a Newark-like? Despite their high Black populations.

Philly's IMPROVING image and ongoing rise. Still has its levels of blight hurt it. Not removing blight more aggressively and it seen hurts. Some cities removed much more of their blight over the decades. I won't interject them as thread isn't about them.

That is the main point of these Newark/Camden like references. Not to merely use it racially to diss. As Philly gentrifies and blight seen easily gets more restricted and less prevalent? So too will stereotypes and cheap shots.

Taking threads to negatives in race and politics only highlights extremes in bias. Not merely general perceptions current or from the past. Philly is RISING and it is more noted today. Locals and regional views are more negative many times then a National view today as there term "negladelphians" denotes.

The News media also doesn't dog on Philly for crime of expose's on blight. It is pretty much left alone. But Philly was not big on removing blight. That hurt image. As gentrification removes more. Image can improve. But overall blight needs to be sought out and property if condemned? Addressed or removed. Windowless buildings for years is a neglect by the city too.

You mentioned Black population is why Newark-like is used. Not a race comment on levels of African-Americans . If blight is noticeable yet? That gains the use. Not to pull up and accuse its about race as key.

Again, Atlanta doesn't get that sigma or reference to a Newark as being highly African-American as proof its not about race as key.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
There is something to the view that Philly suffers from a misperception among people unfamiliar with the city. I retired to Philly from Houston 6+ years ago. When coworkers my age started planning retirement, we use to share our plans in informal chats. Places like Pugent Sound, Denver, Tennessee and the Carolinas were popular locales. When friends asked where my DH and I were retiring, I of course replied Philly. Then it became interesting because I'd get 2 nearly predictable responses:

1. The first group took on puzzled looks as iif they misheard me. Then followed the predictable stereotypes of Philly.

2. The 2nd response was interesting. My company partnered with Wharton for our leadership development program, sending the "up and comers" to programs for extended stays in Philly. The general response from those folks can be summed up as "Wow - you're going to a great city!"

Philly is doing fine. In the 6 years we've been here, we'e seen lots of growth with gentrification extending further and further from Center City. The city's major challenge is to attract high-paying professional jobs. It's brilliant location smack in the middle between DC and NY gives it an attractive advantage as a more affordable city right in the middle of the 95 corridor.

As to the OP - does Philly have the WORST perception problem? Hardly. In the short time we've been here, we've seen an actual pope visit, the DNC held their convention here, the NFL draft was just here, and Made in America fills the BF Parkway every year. These events plus the ever-increasing number of overnight visitors each year (42M last year) serve to provide a more accurate perception of Philly in the greater cosmos.
I'm just guessing here, but I think a large part of the reason you get the first group of people is because for most of the country Philadelphia isn't seen as a tourist destination. Growing up in Idaho, I knew people who vacationed in NYC, Boston and DC but no one who went to Philly. Flying out of Boise isn't cheap, so people usually go for the biggest attractions and most people never get to option number 4 on the list.

Even living in Dallas, where flights are lot cheaper, I cant think of a single person I know who goes to Philadelphia for a long weekend like they do with Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, LA or even Boston.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 07-25-2017 at 07:51 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think generally speaking the Mid-Atlantic is very underrated as a vacation destination on a national level (excluding NYC and DC). There's so much variety in the area, and despite its national reputation, the Jersey Shore has so much to offer and is generally much nicer than most folks with little-to-no experience in the area envision.

Cape Cod and the Islands are certainly much more quaint and fantastic for accessing more remote areas for "unspoiled" nature, but it's extremely lacking in terms of vibrance, variety and fun culture compared the Jersey Shore. It's become WAY too heavy on the preppy, stuffy, upper-middle class white people culture--to the extent that it's over-the-top (and I say this as a white person). But then again, such is New England.

They're just two very different experiences, but that doesn't mean one is inherently better than the other.
Agreed. And aside from Provincetown and couple other areas, there's not much good walkability; just so many cottages for tourists.

Navigating the cape is also a PITA. One good thing about getting to the NJ shore is that there are many places and you can get to most directly, rather than having to funnel down one central Hwy.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Wow, you really don't like Philly. Re Penn's Landing and the Waterfront:

Plans for park over I-95 inch toward reality with fund-raising pledge

Philly's most unique offering is its historic sites. And yes, there are historic sites in other cities, but these are unique to Philly on a national level.

Re Cape Cod - I have been over 20 times in my life, and have family in Boston. Cape Cod is not a 45 min venture. The ferries take 90 mins to 2 hours. And that doesn't count traveling to the ferry, boarding, unboarding and driving to where you want to go. Boston to Cape Cod is not easy nor quick on average. There is other ocean access from Boston, but from years of experience, I find the weather and water temperatures to be far more favorable in the Philly metro over Boston.

Philly has some great offerings that I'm sure you'll just wave away, such as Cape May, Lancaster County, Poconos, Chesapeake Bay not too far away, etc etc. While Philly doesn't have a harbor like Boston, it is MUCH quicker and easier to get to the beaches than Boston to Cape Cod.

EDIT: I wanted to add that while you're correct that Philly is not seen as the destination for short vacations like other cities listed, it is very underrated. Until I lived here, none of my family in Rochester and Syracuse had visited. Many have visited now, including places like Cape May and the PA countryside, and they prefer it over Cape Cod and our other frequently visited destinations. Being "a destination" has its downsides (e.g. over-populated, over-touristy, more expensive).

How often are we going to hear all these wonderful things about Philly being better than Boston, yet number of visitors and hotel rooms in Boston beat Philly. How often have we seen national stories and very high achieving people come out of Boston? Puritans vs Quakers makes a difference. Look at all the shows and movies set in Boston vs Philly. Philadelphia will never, ever have the national profile of Boston. You can count on that.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Using Newark or Camden denotes levels of blight present. Sunbelt cities also have high African-American and other Black groups like from some Caribbean nations. Atlanta especially and even a Houston has a high-level of Black or African Americans. These cities rarely get called a Newark-like? Despite their high Black populations.

Philly's IMPROVING image and ongoing rise. Still has its levels of blight hurt it. Not removing blight more aggressively and it seen hurts. Some cities removed much more of their blight over the decades. I won't interject them as thread isn't about them.

That is the main point of these Newark/Camden like references. Not to merely use it racially to diss. As Philly gentrifies and blight seen easily gets more restricted and less prevalent? So too will stereotypes and cheap shots.

Taking threads to negatives in race and politics only highlights extremes in bias. Not merely general perceptions current or from the past. Philly is RISING and it is more noted today. Locals and regional views are more negative many times then a National view today as there term "negladelphians" denotes.

The News media also doesn't dog on Philly for crime of expose's on blight. It is pretty much left alone. But Philly was not big on removing blight. That hurt image. As gentrification removes more. Image can improve. But overall blight needs to be sought out and property if condemned? Addressed or removed. Windowless buildings for years is a neglect by the city too.

You mentioned Black population is why Newark-like is used. Not a race comment on levels of African-Americans . If blight is noticeable yet? That gains the use. Not to pull up and accuse its about race as key.

Again, Atlanta doesn't get that sigma or reference to a Newark as being highly African-American as proof its not about race as key.
I'll give you credit for trying to rationale this point. In today's PC world, it's racist or should be to put down any city dominated and run by African-Americans ie Newark, Detroit, Baltimore, and Cleveland for example.

You may also want to let the poster provide the reasons ''west coast clients'' refer to Philly as a larger Newark and not make your own assumptions. All you're stating is the usual liberal dribble: whites left Philly, the city declined/blighted, now gentrification (aka whites returning) has Philly RISING. Sorry, but your using ''code'' words here. Just say when it is.

Atlanta is thought to be the ''black-mecca''...aka where black professionals are flocking. Actually, the vast majority of people are moving to the Atlanta metro area, not in Atlanta city proper.

Detroit on the other hand had this in its recent past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZQLxVO-qjM

Wonder what those liberal ''west coast clients'' think of Detroit? Detroit has the #1 city-perception issue in the U.S. Philly is not even close.

Last edited by Kamms; 07-25-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
How often are we going to hear all these wonderful things about Philly being better than Boston, yet number of visitors and hotel rooms in Boston beat Philly. How often have we seen national stories and very high achieving people come out of Boston? Puritans vs Quakers makes a difference. Look at all the shows and movies set in Boston vs Philly. Philadelphia will never, ever have the national profile of Boston. You can count on that.
Philly still has a crime/safety concern to many people, far more than Boston does.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post

Not sure why this turned into a conversation on race so quickly. From my experience, people who struggle in Philly sometimes move away and like it better for a couple reasons:

1. They lived in older row-home neighborhoods, didn't have much money, and had higher crime.
2. They move to another city like Atlanta that is more spread out, get a yard, and lower crime as part of the move.

I can understand why people might begrudge Philly in this scenario. However, I've also seen cases where the above is the initial impression and then people start to miss the vibrant, urban, walkable community they moved from.

Regardless, there are so many scenarios. Older industrial cities also suffer from crime-ridden perceptions (e.g. Newark). Not everything is about race.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
"Decrepit waterfront" Lol. You mean one of the busiest ports in the country that generates billions of dollars, a handful of new recreational piers and parks.

You might not enjoy it Tom Falcons, but a ton of people do including myself. Some of my pictures from this summer

To validate that other people enjoy the waterfronts:
World's Best Urban Beaches

I will give Boston the win in terms of the seaport and stuff (I got some sick photos of that place too)

First off you are mixing Del River waterfront and Schuylkill waterfront. Secondly, the vibrant area you showed is a tiny portion of the size of the Boston waterfront that is vibrant. The Schuylkill waterfront is not vibrant at all and has nothing but walking trails.

Boston has rivers that are vibrant as well. Philly will never match Boston in terms of physical beauty, lower crime, better higher paying jobs, less poverty, more tourists, etc etc.

Cape Cod national profile is huge compared to the NJ shore. I know tons of people from here that go up to Cape Cod once a year. Loads of others from all over the country go there. When I would ride the fast ferry over to Cape Cod I met folks from all over the world. Can NJ beaches claim the same?

It is bizarre to me how Philly lovers and homers just bury their head in the sand about all the problems here and the lack of will by city leaders to change anything. Now they want to stop gentrification to protect poor people and allow them to stay in their section 8 housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City