Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:35 PM

63 posts, read 95,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
I... The lack of diversity also crosses into the food. Seattle nor Portland doesn't really have too much ethnic food, especially when you compare it to a city like Chicago or even Atlanta.

But yeah, if you want diversity, don't come to Seattle and Portland.....
These statements I find breathtaking in their audacity and ignorance.
According to this foodie list (and of course there are other lists....) Seattle and Portland rank in the top ten of US cities for food; Atlanta is 15th.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ies-in-america

And yes, this list considers ethnic or "diverse" foods....

Seattle, in whose school district has students that speak more than 100 different languages, I would say is certainly diverse. (Of course, other City-Data board members seem to consider diversity to be non-white people [whatever that means] rather than diversity of languages and cultures. [And, who's checking funtraveler's grammar here....])

Rossia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 02:44 PM

429 posts, read 479,603 times
% White does not equate to diversity. As an example, Baltimore is 98% two races: Black and White. Seattle has Black, Asian and Hispanic populations of 9%, 13%, and 7%, respectively. Also, Seattle's metro % White population is actually lower than Minneapolis as well. There are plenty of cities in the area that are minority-majority.

As for ethnic food, Seattle has a lot of great and authentic Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Middle-Eastern and various other cuisines. It also has a relatively high foreign-born population and actually has the most diverse neighborhood in the country (Columbia City) in terms of languages spoken.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:00 PM

591 posts, read 820,740 times
Seattle's metro is very diverse, particularly the cities in-between Tacoma and Seattle (Renton, Federal Way, Tukwila, Kent, etc). Not to mention neighborhoods in Seattle (White Center, Columbia City, Rainier Beach, Beacon Hill, etc.)

The ethnic food scene of Seattle in areas such as the U-district or the International district is phenomenal.
Similarly, the metro cities mentioned above offer a wide variety of ethnic food (Thai, Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, etc)

I wouldn't recommend commenting on Seattle's diversity or ethnic food scene until you have spent significant time in the Puget Sound.

Last edited by dapper23; 10-20-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-20-2016, 06:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Minneapolis is significantly less expensive than Seattle or Portland. You can still find 1 Br apartments in good neighborhoods for $700 to $800 a month.
Wow. Really? Thanks for the correction. Pittsburgh is now more expensive than Minneapolis, then, and it's an inferior city. You guys have an awesome bang-for-your-buck factor out there if you can score a 1-BR in a nice neighborhood for $700/month.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,381 times
Default Thoughts on this from a Seattelite

I live in Seattle so here's my thoughts on this...
Seattle has a relatively moderate climate, is super rainy, has a big city feel, and is relatively good for cycling/walking, and has a lot of cool things to do. It does have a lot of traffic tho, for which the medicore transit system doesnt really help--and its also super expensive. Minneapolis, from visiting, isnt as outdoorsy ((access to national parks, city parks) and doesnt quite have the same big city feel; but its cheaper and the transit system is probably better-more light rail. Seattle has a pretty good frequent transit network, but its really slow, crowded, and unreliable. So overall, I'd go for Seattle unless you can't afford it, or care more about transit than big city feel/outdoorsiness. There's also denver; they're cheaper, have a nice downtown, okay enough transit system, and have good food. Oh, and btw dont worry about crime in seattle--for a big city violent crime's on the lower side, property crime is high but not awful--as long as you live in a decent neighborhood you'll be fine. Does this help?

Old 10-22-2016, 05:14 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
% White does not equate to diversity. As an example, Baltimore is 98% two races: Black and White. Seattle has Black, Asian and Hispanic populations of 9%, 13%, and 7%, respectively. Also, Seattle's metro % White population is actually lower than Minneapolis as well. There are plenty of cities in the area that are minority-majority.

As for ethnic food, Seattle has a lot of great and authentic Ethiopian, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Middle-Eastern and various other cuisines. It also has a relatively high foreign-born population and actually has the most diverse neighborhood in the country (Columbia City) in terms of languages spoken.
Here's a breakdown by city proper. Again, info is from the 2015 American Community Survey

Seattle
Black (alone): 7.2%
Asian (alone): 14%
Hispanic (of any race): 6.3%

Portland
Black (alone): 5.6%
Asian (alone): 7.9%
Hispanic (of any race): 9.7%

Minneapolis
Black (alone): 19.2%
Asian (alone): 6.6%
Hispanic (of any race): 9.7%

St. Paul
Black (alone): 15.2%
Asian (alone): 17.8%
Hispanic (of any race): 9.1%

Foreign-Born Population
Seattle: 17.5%
Portland: 13.6%
Minneapolis: 17.2%
St. Paul: 18.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossiapacifica View Post
These statements I find breathtaking in their audacity and ignorance.
According to this foodie list (and of course there are other lists....) Seattle and Portland rank in the top ten of US cities for food; Atlanta is 15th.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...ies-in-america

And yes, this list considers ethnic or "diverse" foods....

Seattle, in whose school district has students that speak more than 100 different languages, I would say is certainly diverse. (Of course, other City-Data board members seem to consider diversity to be non-white people [whatever that means] rather than diversity of languages and cultures. [And, who's checking funtraveler's grammar here....])

Rossia
Portland does not have greater ethnic food variety than either Minneapolis or St. Paul. I don't think Seattle evens offers up more ethnic variety.

BTW, the Minneapolis public school district has around 100 different languages represented and St. Paul has over 120.

Last edited by YIMBY; 10-22-2016 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2016, 05:29 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Seattle is the most expensive but you get what you pay for....it's the best of the 3. To enjoy Seattle though, you have to be able to afford it. It does offer high salaries if you work in the right field so that compensates for the cost for many. The traffic in Seattle sux so that's a negative for me. The overcast weather you said you like so that's a positive for you but not for me. You mentioned crime and Seattle is low for a US city and so is Portland.

Portland is like a smaller Seattle with less good paying jobs and less traffic. MSP offers a lot if you can stand very cold temps and don't need mountains or beaches in your life.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 PM

63 posts, read 95,673 times
Oh, snap! I did say more than 100 languages spoken in the Seattle School District. Wait a minute, I just found an update on the Seattle School District site....it says 132 languages....

Why Seattle Public Schools - Seattle Public Schools

Old 10-23-2016, 01:16 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossiapacifica View Post
Oh, snap! I did say more than 100 languages spoken in the Seattle School District. Wait a minute, I just found an update on the Seattle School District site....it says 132 languages....

Why Seattle Public Schools - Seattle Public Schools
LOL! Seattle has over 684,000 people within its city limits and has a few more spoken languages than Minneapolis, a city of 410,000 and St. Paul, a city of just over 300,000. Oh snap!

Old 10-23-2016, 08:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL! Seattle has over 684,000 people within its city limits and has a few more spoken languages than Minneapolis, a city of 410,000 and St. Paul, a city of just over 300,000. Oh snap!
If you're comparing one metro area to another, let's keep it consistent.

King County has just over 2 million people living in it. That's easily considered the "Seattle area" for this region.

To that end, a good breakdown of the languages spoken in the Seattle area can be found in this link, and scroll down to the pie chart: Language Diversity in America: How Seattle Stacks Up - The Seattle Globalist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City