Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times

Advertisements

Odd list...including a DC suburb with a bunch of metro areas...I didn't know that Reston was considered one of the cheap rent areas around here either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
SF and Silicon Valley are super competitive, not exactly a good place for a recent grad with little to no experience. I'm not surprised they're not listed. It's probably a much better place once you have a few years under your belt.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Basically what I'm saying is this list is a little silly. Tech grads should always first apply to the top tech companies, and those are in California and Seattle (generally, at least for the largest tech campuses). If they don't get hired there, then aim for these other cities.
i feel like tech grads should apply to life sciences, genome sequencing, bio-engineering, cancer research, ... first (which is more major in new england) and forget about being the next social network billionaire.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:33 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i feel like tech grads should apply to life sciences, genome sequencing, bio-engineering, cancer research, ... first (which is more major in new england) and forget about being the next social network billionaire.
Broad brush much? A vast majority of tech grads have nothing to do with the development of social networking platforms like Facebook. I personally work for a company that provides patient cost estimation to the healthcare industry.

Without looking I'd venture to guess that the top 3 IT sectors are defense, finance/insurance, and telecom.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-27-2016 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-27-2016, 11:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
No California cities. LoL yeah this is bunk
That entire point of the article was to identify those areas that are "secretly great" for tech grads. The Bay Area isn't "secretly great" and the article even mentions that its intention was to look beyond the Valley and New York. While there may be other CA cities that could have been listed, they would have been put through the same filter as all the cities considered.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Exactly, RE costs are high here, because it is competitive. And career growth here is second to none for tech.

It's like saying some city in fly over country is better for a grad working finance, versus starting their career at wall street.
It's all relative. Unless the pay is at least double you can't afford to "fly over" anywhere, so cost of living is a factor for sure. However, if you're young and single, there's no better time to try one of the expensive coastal cities. Once you have kids, adios.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:34 PM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
NYC?
It's my impression the the bay area and Seattle are top for tech

Old 01-27-2016, 12:47 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It's all relative. Unless the pay is at least double you can't afford to "fly over" anywhere, so cost of living is a factor for sure. However, if you're young and single, there's no better time to try one of the expensive coastal cities. Once you have kids, adios.
Right, which is why Silicon Valley is filled with families. Because it's horrible for families too! LOL

Old 01-27-2016, 12:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,886 times
I think that list is pretty good, considering their stated criteria of "networking opportunities, affordability and growth potential." And the title of the article is "10 cities that are secretly great for tech grads." Most people know that the Bay Area, Boston, Seattle, and New York are THE destinations if you can get a good job in the industry there. This is an article about ten other places. The only one that seems odd to me is Reston b/c that is a suburb of DC, and all of the others are standalone cities/metro areas.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:14 PM

49 posts, read 59,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
That entire point of the article was to identify those areas that are "secretly great" for tech grads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
I think that list is pretty good, considering their stated criteria of "networking opportunities, affordability and growth potential." And the title of the article is "10 cities that are secretly great for tech grads."
How on earth is Portland, OR "secretly" great for tech? That's pretty much all its known for. If it was Maine's, then yeah that might fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City