Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 07:26 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't want to argue with you, black man. We can peacefully disagree.
No we can disagree with facts not you making up stuff.. You talk like a tourist who came to NYC and stayed in Harlem and think you understand the city.

NYC is not DC. We don’t sit on one piece of land. While there are black areas in NYC being gentrified there are also many that aren’t since middle class blacks tend to live in the deepest parts of the city where there is a lack of transportation!

NYC also is a city that a lot of young black professionals (many from the south) still comes to.

One of the deputies for NYC DOT Brooklyn division is actually a black dude from Atlanta! Go Figure!

Last edited by BrooklynJo; 03-29-2018 at 07:39 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 07:37 AM

Actually I made a mistake. DC doesn’t sit on one piece of land either I think but I think the point I was making is that DC is so tiny and is probably the best example of a black neighborhoods being gentrified beyond recognition and I think Miami’s black communities are next!

Old 03-29-2018, 07:57 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
There is a seen in Bamboozled that fits that story very well.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:14 AM

93,376 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We're looking at metropolitan areas here and not just the central cities themselves. Otherwise we'd have to exclude DC and even Atlanta from consideration here.
Yeah, while the information needs to be updated a little bit, it still can offer insight as to places in the NYC metro area where the Black middle class is located: Upper Middle class african-american communities in ny

Keep in mind that the thread only includes the NY State portion of the area and doesn’t include places in the NJ portion like Teaneck, Piscataway, Maplewood, South Orange, parts of Englewood, etc.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, while the information needs to be updated a little bit, it still can offer insight as to places in the NYC metro area where the Black middle class is located: Upper Middle class african-american communities in ny

Keep in mind that the thread only includes the NY State portion of the area and doesn’t include places in the NJ portion like Teaneck, Piscataway, Maplewood, South Orange, parts of Englewood, etc.
Kodeblue these are post you need to be looking at when it comes to Blacks in NYC. This ain’t the 1940s no more. Black been had much more territory than Harlem in the NYC metro. Lol

Old 03-29-2018, 09:29 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
No we can disagree with facts not you making up stuff.. You talk like a tourist who came to NYC and stayed in Harlem and think you understand the city.

NYC is not DC. We don’t sit on one piece of land. While there are black areas in NYC being gentrified there are also many that aren’t since middle class blacks tend to live in the deepest parts of the city where there is a lack of transportation!

NYC also is a city that a lot of young black professionals (many from the south) still comes to.

One of the deputies for NYC DOT Brooklyn division is actually a black dude from Atlanta! Go Figure!
Why do New Yorkers create a false narrative that if you say something about NYC that they don't like, they assume that you hit up a bunch of tourist spots and suddenly thinking you know the city? I see that here, and on the forum (you know where I'm talking about) quite often.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:32 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Kodeblue these are post you need to be looking at when it comes to Blacks in NYC. This ain’t the 1940s no more. Black been had much more territory than Harlem in the NYC metro. Lol
I get what you're saying, but I still would not put NYC on the same tier as DC or Atlanta.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 AM

453 posts, read 317,893 times
Harlem was a Black mecca, but has been slowly dissolving in the last 2 decades, Right now Harlem is going trough rapid gentrification and population replacement. The current black mecca is Atlanta. IMHO. The graph below is kinda old, black population in central Harlem could fall bellow 50% this year or next. Its currently below 30% in west Harlem already. Same for Crown Heights and other Central Brooklyn Neighborhoods.
Attached Thumbnails
Criteria to be considered "Black Mecca"-black.gif  

Last edited by upthere22; 03-29-2018 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Harlem was a Black mecca, but has been slowly dissolving in the last 2 decades, Right now Harlem is going trough rapid gentrification and population replacement. The current black mecca is Atlanta. IMHO. The graph below is kinda old, black population in central Harlem could fall bellow 50% this year or next. Its currently below 30% in west Harlem already. Same for Crown Heights and other Central Brooklyn Neighborhoods.
Harlem is 47% Black now it declining within 10 years it will be below 30 or 25%.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I get what you're saying, but I still would not put NYC on the same tier as DC or Atlanta.
Based on what criteria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City