Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or DC: Which city is faster-paced?
Chicago 145 60.92%
DC 93 39.08%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is a very accurate post. I agree. I think it's very hard to even have these conversations because D.C. proper as a topic is so fluid compared to the other cities around the nation. We are not only going through a structural change like most cities are, we are also going through a demographic change which most cities aren't at the level D.C. is.

Let's be honest here, cities dominated by African American's are not popular to White people in America. Nobody lists Baltimore, Birmingham, Memphis, Jackson, or Detroit when talking about the best cities. As the demographics have been changing in D.C., white people are including D.C. as a viable city they would want to live in which they would have never done in the past.

As its popularity grows, the cities prominence will rise overtime as more neighborhoods become habitable by people other than black people in the eastern and southern portions of the city. In the year 2000, only places west of Rock Creek Park were livable to white people. Now look at the city. Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Boston maintained large swaths of the city filled with white people and white immigrants through white flight and the decay of the American city. D.C. became mainly black from 1960-2005.

There is no other popular American city that is only 61 sq. mile's or smaller that was predominately black recently that is popular in America. D.C. is the first city of its size with those former demographics to test this theory of redevelopment and renewal. It's having an identity crisis because being an economic powerhouse, very urban, very vibrant, and bustling as an all black city just doesn't exist in America. Businesses flee black area's and black cities are no different.

D.C. is the test tube city as the first former predominantly African American city to go through and emerge from redevelopment. Now the wait begins to see how well it will be received by America.
Not sure if I'm completely following your argument. You're saying that DC is becoming less black, which is true, and is undergoing substantial redevelopment, also true. But you later say "being an economic powerhouse, very urban, very vibrant, and bustling as an all black city just doesn't exist in America". So are you saying that cities can only undergo such radical changes if they shed their black population? DC's revitalization only occurred once blacks became less numerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:25 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Chicago is a great city on its own merits but it looks nothing like NYC. Feels nothing like NYC.
Midwestern is the key word

Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM

354 posts, read 784,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
So are you saying that cities can only undergo such radical changes if they shed their black population? DC's revitalization only occurred once blacks became less numerous?
YES!!!!!!! is that shocking to you?

Old 04-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
YES!!!!!!! is that shocking to you?
First, using all caps and seven exclamation marks is not a good way to start a dialogue--just saying. And yes, I don't like the implications of that argument. That's basically saying that majority black cities cannot be successful, and strongly implies inherent black inferiority, which I don't agree with, since, besides being wildly racist, discounts a lot of other issues which may hold majority black cities back.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:17 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You know you got your feelings hurt when I said DC wasn't NE in another thread, and how it's not as fast-paced as Chicago. That's when you started crying like a little kid, and why I had to call you out. Grow up bro!!! Everyone on here constantly has to call you out on your BS and nonsense.
Who is everyone?

Old 04-27-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
And you are catching on really quickly...

It's called the "reaching" effect- anything and everything in order to stay relevant and keep from seeming inferior.

I haven't started yet but it’s a very unique DC thing. It's an inferiority complex and which is why DC needs to stay out of these conversations. It's a great city and serves a unique purpose that no other city can compete with. But it falls short in many other areas in terms of culture, social activities, etc. But the problem is that DC always wants to be part of the conversation despite saying that it isn't interested in any of that stuff. That’s when the master’s degree, education, pricing, and stats come out. It really looks bad.

It's called an inferiority complex.
This is hilarious! How can you have an inferiority complex when you live in arguably the most important city in the free world? When your city ranks at or near the top in salaries, per capita income, education, employment, transportation, housing, museums, media exposure, etc. How does DC fall short in regards to social activities when we have representation from every country in the world in our borders? Can you go to a party at the Israeli Embassy? Have you even been to the Annual Chilean festival? Million Man March? Inauguration? In January, I went to a private film showing of "Amy" at the National Archives. Have you ever rode on the Congressional subway? Are they building an African American Museum in your city? Holocaust Museum? Have you been to the Supreme Court? Have you ever seen a Russian ICBM? Oh that's right, your city doesn't offer any of that. So your comment is an oxymoron at best.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:43 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Not sure if I'm completely following your argument. You're saying that DC is becoming less black, which is true, and is undergoing substantial redevelopment, also true. But you later say "being an economic powerhouse, very urban, very vibrant, and bustling as an all black city just doesn't exist in America". So are you saying that cities can only undergo such radical changes if they shed their black population? DC's revitalization only occurred once blacks became less numerous?
Yes, I am. Corporate America and local and international capital (money) will not invest in cities with 60-70% black population's. It's not until the population begins to change after mainly local public investment which is a catalyst many times for private capital to move into a market and begin redevelopment. This is the farthest a city has ever reached though so the experiment is still going on. The changes are drastic and has moved at lightning speed.

Once the dust settles, we will know whether the country will accept a city that used to be predominately black, the murder capital, and blighted throughout along side of cities that never reached the low points D.C. did. The complaints of its too new still ring from the mountain tops currently.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 04-27-2016 at 01:52 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes, I am. Corporate America and local and international capital (money) will not invest in cities with 60-70% black population's. It's not until the population begins to change after mainly local public investment which is a catalyst many times for private capital to move into a market and begin redevelopment. This is the farthest a city has ever reached though so the experiment is still going on. The changes are drastic and has moved at lightning speed.

Once the dust settles, we will know whether the country will accept a city that used to be predominately black, the murder capital, and blighted throughout along side of cities that never reached the low points D.C. did.
Okay, I understand what you're getting at, now, and I somewhat agree. I think Atlanta is in a similar boat, though it didn't dip under 60% black until sometime after 2000, well after the 1996 Olympics, so I'm not entirely sure the investment thing holds up completely.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 PM

135 posts, read 144,859 times
Quote:
My problem is not that I think what he's saying is inaccurate. But he seems all too willing to not only accept that truth; but he also seems to be fine with the new status quo. That's what is highly disturbing to me.

Last edited by Truth2power202; 04-27-2016 at 02:15 PM..

Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
You have posters claiming a city of 650,000 is busier than a city of 2.8 million because it has more type A's or whatever
Or more people yelling on escalators.
It doesn't make sense.

But if it makes you feel better about dc, go ahead I guess.

You make yourself look dumb. Houston has 2 million people. Is Houston busy and fast paced as Boston? Is Phoenix fast paced? None of you have explained to me why Chicago is faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City