Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

I thought I would start this thread based on the other thread comparing Arizona versus Colorado.

I could have the option of voting here, but I decided not to. I love both states for different reasons.

Arizona "beats" New Mexico in the outdoor recreation and one of a kind "take your breath away" natural scenes and landscapes. (Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Flagstaff-Sedona area, large tracts of pristine Sonora desert). Sure New Mexico has some of one a kind natural wonders, (such as Carssbad caverns, Shiprock), and is still one of the most beautiful states, but is basically western landscape of prairie, desert, and mountains that are little less distinctive.

New Mexico beats Arizona in cultural heritage. The highland hispanic culture that has a rich heritage of 400 years, basically the Spanish-American counterpart to the Cajun French culture of Louisiana. Just nothing like it. As well as Pueblos that have been continuously inhabited since the 1300s. Not to trash talk Phoenix, but Alberque and Santa Fe pack in more culture than virtually all of Phoenix area. Although the Navajo Nation is a one of a kind cultural area.

Thoughts? Discuss?

In any case, some of my favorite states with endless wonders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
My partner wants to move to Arizona mentioning there is just a lot more to do there. Bigger cities, more natural superlatives and climate variation, a bit less isolated with better air service, and still seems affordable. I'm open to it given the right opportunities present themselves.

It's true New Mexico does have a more palpable cultural and historic feel to it, though Arizona is not completely devoid of it. Areas around Tucson have somewhat of an "Old Pueblo" feel to it, and there is a historic mission just outside of town with a beautiful basilica. In terms of natural beauty, New Mexico has some exceptional areas, White Sands is one of the coolest places I've ever seen, Taos and Ghost Ranch are beautiful as well. Here in NM I do like that I have both Arizona and Colorado within reach, I've had many great road trips up to SW Colorado which is some of the best mountain scenery anywhere in the country only 3-4 hours away.

Arizona does have a whole lot more variety though in terms of scenery and just better natural superlatives like the red rock peaks of Sedona, Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Park, mountains and ponderosa forests near Flagstaff (though NM has more of that), AZ has more lakes to swim in to beat the heat and its a lot closer to California beaches.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I thought I would start this thread based on the other thread comparing Arizona versus Colorado.
Why not add in Utah and just do a Four Corners discussion?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Why not add in Utah and just do a Four Corners discussion?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...utah-vs-4.html

Old 11-19-2013, 10:24 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Arizona really does have no culture. It's just not here. Some occasional old buildings and then what's on the reservations but outside of that we are no different than any other American state, well, minus saguaros and stuff.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
Both Arizona and New Mexico are urban states with the vast majority of their populations living in the major cities and the rest of the state is federal owned land and public forest areas, etc. New Mexico is very underrated and most Americans are unaware of it's existence. It is a beautiful state and Albuquerque and its other cities have unique Spanish architecture with pueblo houses and what not. However Arizona really is a tier above New Mexico. A lot of people say Arizona and Phoenix have no culture and sure that's true to some degree but people are continually moving there in large numbers so Arizona must have something going for it. The Phoenix metro area alone is more than twice the population of the entire state of New Mexico.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Arizona really does have no culture. It's just not here. Some occasional old buildings and then what's on the reservations but outside of that we are no different than any other American state, well, minus saguaros and stuff.
I guess it depends on how one defines "culture." technically everywhere you go has culture. It's just a matter of recognizing what culture means and valuing some forms of culture over others.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:18 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Both Arizona and New Mexico are urban states with the vast majority of their populations living in the major cities and the rest of the state is federal owned land and public forest areas, etc. New Mexico is very underrated and most Americans are unaware of it's existence. It is a beautiful state and Albuquerque and its other cities have unique Spanish architecture with pueblo houses and what not. However Arizona really is a tier above New Mexico. A lot of people say Arizona and Phoenix have no culture and sure that's true to some degree but people are continually moving there in large numbers so Arizona must have something going for it. The Phoenix metro area alone is more than twice the population of the entire state of New Mexico.
Phoenix is a low desert that stays warm in winter thats why. Albequerque and Santa Fe are in a high desert that gets snow.

For the typical midwest/northeast transplant it would defeat the purpose of moving to the southwest according to them.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Phoenix is a low desert that stays warm in winter thats why. Albequerque and Santa Fe are in a high desert that gets snow.

For the typical midwest/northeast transplant it would defeat the purpose of moving to the southwest according to them.
Snow in Albuquerque is usually gone by noontime, and rarely gets very much accumulation. Phoenix has a warmer climate and more appeal, that said ABQ has a much more mild, easy, and sunny climate than anywhere in the Midwest or Northeast. Plenty of balmy days year round, cold spells and storms come and go rather quickly and it's not unusual to have 65 sunny degree days in between in a month like February and it's not excessively hot here in the summer and summer usually picks up in late April and lasts into October. To compare, I have a sister living in Raleigh, NC and I notice the range of temperatures year round are quite similar to there, it's just obviously a lot drier over here.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I guess it depends on how one defines "culture." technically everywhere you go has culture. It's just a matter of recognizing what culture means and valuing some forms of culture over others.
It's just not unique to the rest of the country is all. We are all chain restaurants, cookie cutter houses... Very few small businesses. Even our old houses from the beginning of Phoenix look similar to each other. Phoenix is just not unique, simply put, when it comes to what the city alone actually offers.

From what I've heard about Albuquerque (wow, spelled that right the first time!) lots of pueblo. Makes me curious to stop by and check it out. You'll be lucky to see pueblo in Phoenix, I think there might be a building or two here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City