Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
It's just not unique to the rest of the country is all. We are all chain restaurants, cookie cutter houses... Very few small businesses. Even our old houses from the beginning of Phoenix look similar to each other. Phoenix is just not unique, simply put, when it comes to what the city alone actually offers.

From what I've heard about Albuquerque (wow, spelled that right the first time!) lots of pueblo. Makes me curious to stop by and check it out. You'll be lucky to see pueblo in Phoenix, I think there might be a building or two here.
You get a whole lot more of that pueblo architecture effect in Santa Fe, it's written in the building codes up there. In Albuquerque Old Town has some, and a bit of faux pueblo/adobe in the High Desert neighborhood near Tramway Blvd. The rest of the city has similar housing to what you'd find in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times
Quote:
It's just not unique to the rest of the country is all. We are all chain restaurants, cookie cutter houses... Very few small businesses. Even our old houses from the beginning of Phoenix look similar to each other. Phoenix is just not unique, simply put, when it comes to what the city alone actually offers.

From what I've heard about Albuquerque (wow, spelled that right the first time!) lots of pueblo. Makes me curious to stop by and check it out. You'll be lucky to see pueblo in Phoenix, I think there might be a building or two here.
I don't know a whole lot about Phoenix, other than it seems to be a little bigger every time I drive through it. It does strike me as a very suburban styled city (which to me is not necessarily a bad thing, even though it is constantly excoriated here on CD). Still, I just don't know much about it. When I made my comments on culture I was actually referring to the whole state, though. And I think there is a lot of culture throughout Arizona.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,827,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
You get a whole lot more of that pueblo architecture effect in Santa Fe, it's written in the building codes up there. In Albuquerque Old Town has some, and a bit of faux pueblo/adobe in the High Desert neighborhood near Tramway Blvd. The rest of the city has similar housing to what you'd find in Phoenix.
Ah, Santa Fe? I've only driven through Gallup once, so I stand corrected.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I don't know a whole lot about Phoenix, other than it seems to be a little bigger every time I drive through it. It does strike me as a very suburban styled city (which to me is not necessarily a bad thing, even though it is constantly excoriated here on CD). Still, I just don't know much about it. When I made my comments on culture I was actually referring to the whole state, though. And I think there is a lot of culture throughout Arizona.
Phoenix is growing rapidly and it's ridiculous how many more stores/neighborhoods I see getting built on a daily business. Construction booms here like no other

Suburban styled cities are not bad at all, depends on what you're looking for. One of the great things about Phoenix is that you can have an affordable single-family home not terribly far from Downtown (my home is about ten minutes without traffic, and it's not in a dangerous neighborhood). Most cities--especially more urbanized ones--cannot offer this. Phoenix is a great city for families.

The state varies culturally I believe. Here in Tucson where I currently reside for school, has a lot more small business and historical buildings in the near vicinity. More ties to Mexico (our food shows this, it's fantastic). Tucson is currently redeveloping its Downtown and plans to keep a "unique cultural aspect" to it so I'm assuming a Southwest feel. Unfortunately for me, I haven't ventured to Downtown yet and I could not tell you what that means exactly. The high desert of the north does not have much, except for the reservations, but in the pine forests of the state, we have a mountain feel with a lot of cabins and such. They are the hippies of the state Especially Prescott, but I'll leave that to one's opinion.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:07 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,269,868 times
I've spent time in both states on several visits. In many ways, the states are similar, but there are some stark differences. In the end, I go with New Mexico. AZ always seemed like a place people retire to golf and NM to me is more authentic. Comparing ABQ and PHX, for example: For me, PHX is endless sprawl without character, while ABQ has the charm of Old Town and a lot of funk along Route 66. (Within AZ, Tucson is in my view the better bet over PHX.) Moving north, while Sedona is interesting, it does't compare to Santa Fe. AZ may have a good arts scene, but I must have not looked hard enough. In NM, art just seems a bigger part of the culture as it is apparent wherever I've traveled - from Alamogordo to Taos. On the other hand, the Grand Canyon is phenomenal, but you won't be living there. I'd live in NM and visit the Canyon.

Finally, a big difference for me is the political culture, which - let's be real - says a lot about the nature of the people who live there. AZ is a state governed by Republicans from the extreme right. I don't wish to start a political discussion here, as I'm sure people have valid reasons for holding those positions. Its just that while that may be great for some, it's not for me.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:33 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,137,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I've spent time in both states on several visits. In many ways, the states are similar, but there are some stark differences. In the end, I go with New Mexico. AZ always seemed like a place people retire to golf and NM to me is more authentic. Comparing ABQ and PHX, for example: For me, PHX is endless sprawl without character, while ABQ has the charm of Old Town and a lot of funk along Route 66. (Within AZ, Tucson is in my view the better bet over PHX.) Moving north, while Sedona is interesting, it does't compare to Santa Fe. AZ may have a good arts scene, but I must have not looked hard enough. In NM, art just seems a bigger part of the culture as it is apparent wherever I've traveled - from Alamogordo to Taos. On the other hand, the Grand Canyon is phenomenal, but you won't be living there. I'd live in NM and visit the Canyon.

Finally, a big difference for me is the political culture, which - let's be real - says a lot about the nature of the people who live there. AZ is a state governed by Republicans from the extreme right. I don't wish to start a political discussion here, as I'm sure people have valid reasons for holding those positions. Its just that while that may be great for some, it's not for me.
Good point. Like I said:

Arizona = nature and outdoors, New Mexico = culture and history. (IE: Santa Fe is the better TOWN, but Sedona has the better scenery).

Old 11-22-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

While we have Republicans in office, I'd like to note that outside of Phoenix, the state is slowly turning into a swing state. Flagstaff and Prescott are notably liberal, and Tucson is pretty central in the political spectrum (I'd say it leans a little to the left). Very odd how we are like a backwards state, since most places have a liberal big city and conservative small towns. Of course, Phoenix metro is the biggest part of the population in Arizona, so that's what wins.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 PM

10,755 posts, read 23,847,920 times
Quote:
While we have Republicans in office, I'd like to note that outside of Phoenix, the state is slowly turning into a swing state. Flagstaff and Prescott are notably liberal, and Tucson is pretty central in the political spectrum (I'd say it leans a little to the left). Very odd how we are like a backwards state, since most places have a liberal big city and conservative small towns. Of course, Phoenix metro is the biggest part of the population Arizona, so that's what wins.
I'd have to agree, media headlines and politicians don't tell the whole story. I've spent a good amount of time in Arizona and I get the impression that in many places, it's pretty much live and let live, just like much of the West itself. It certainly doesn't lean extreme socially conservative kind of right like the Deep South, more libertarian.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I'd have to agree, media headlines and politicians don't tell the whole story. I've spent a good amount of time in Arizona and I get the impression that in many places, it's pretty much live and let live, just like much of the West itself. It certainly doesn't lean extreme socially conservative kind of right like the Deep South, more libertarian.
Yes, libertarian might be a good word. Considering I see gays openly hold hands all the time and no one give them disgusting looks... definitely no extreme social conservative. Of course, we have the few, but it's not the general population like the South. But to say we're liberal (in today's definition) would be absurd... we like our guns

But isn't NM like this too? I know they are considered a blue state, but I heard it's not as liberal as one would expect... just like people think Arizona is a clone of Texas or something.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,015,865 times
Quote:
Yes, libertarian might be a good word. Considering I see gays openly hold hands all the time and no one give them disgusting looks... definitely no extreme social conservative. Of course, we have the few, but it's not the general population like the South. But to say we're liberal (in today's definition) would be absurd... we like our guns

But isn't NM like this too? I know they are considered a blue state, but I heard it's not as liberal as one would expect... just like people think Arizona is a clone of Texas or something.
I think a lot of Democrats throughout the Southwest have a lot of conservative values. It shouldn't surprise us because there are a lot of Republicans floating around who have a lot of liberal values, too. Party affiliation may appear concrete but it is a somewhat fluid thing, really. Only a few states are legitimately solidly red or blue. Others go through cycles where they shift from one side for a few elections to the other. And then you introduce local politics into the equation and it gets even more scattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City