Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

There is a new gun related bill in CA being debated that would give Oakland the ability to make stricter gun laws in the city-which right off the bat sounds unconstitutional considering the 2nd amendment, and yet I still support the law because some parts of town literally feel like the wild wild west 2013.

Except, I believe most criminals prpbably use guns that are illegal and no really traceable.

So with that in mind, I was wondering if any of you can tell us what exactly NY and LA and others did, what policies and laws were adopted there and elsewhere to bring their once dismal crime rates wayy down.

Things that have worked in other cities are welcomed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 11:25 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
3 strikes and you're out

Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
3 strikes and you're out
That's a statewide law in CA.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
3 strikes and you're out
This actually needs to be repealed. If it was, I think would see crime go down even further as we would have more space in our prisons for actual violent criminals.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:00 PM

390 posts, read 941,187 times
I don't think NYC did much to reduce their crime...I think it's more a matter of an increasing population of immigrants, Hispanics and hipsters driving the deprived Black population out of the most densely populous county (Manhatan) and further into Brooklyn and the Bronx.

Last edited by Tor_Nado; 10-09-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 02:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
I don't think NYC did much to reduce their crime...I think it's more a matter of an increasing population of immigrants, Hispanics and hipsters driving the deprived Black population out of the most populous county (Manhatan) and further into Brooklyn and the Bronx.
Brooklyn and Queens each have much higher populations than Manhattan.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:15 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
I don't think NYC did much to reduce their crime...I think it's more a matter of an increasing population of immigrants, Hispanics and hipsters driving the deprived Black population out of the most populous county (Manhatan) and further into Brooklyn and the Bronx.
Mayor Giuliani is credited with reducing NYC's crime rate.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:19 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
There is a new gun related bill in CA being debated that would give Oakland the ability to make stricter gun laws in the city-which right off the bat sounds unconstitutional considering the 2nd amendment, and yet I still support the law because some parts of town literally feel like the wild wild west 2013.

Except, I believe most criminals prpbably use guns that are illegal and no really traceable.

So with that in mind, I was wondering if any of you can tell us what exactly NY and LA and others did, what policies and laws were adopted there and elsewhere to bring their once dismal crime rates wayy down.

Lead is plausibly a factor in why violent crime rates have been dropping nationwide.

America's Real Criminal Element: Lead | Mother Jones

Yes, lead poisoning could really be a cause of violent crime | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Well it's a known fact that NYC and LA have the two top well known police forces in the country. For NYC we had mayor Giuliani who is sometimes viewed as one of the greatest mayors of all time because of his tactics on reducing crimes. If you talk to a New York who is 33+ 9 out of 10 times they won't do finish a sentence about NYC crime without mentioning Guliani.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
This makes no sense and has nothing to do with crime reduction. Every single black area in NYC is much safer now then they were in the 80s. Also moving people around in a city doesn't decrease the crime it just spreads the crime elsewhere. An example would be ridgewood residents complaining that bushwick residents moving into their area are causing a lower quality of life.

Overall manhattan was a location filled with junkies back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City