Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best culture overall
Chicago 34 50.75%
Los Angeles 33 49.25%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
LA is driving distance from vegas, but the Midwest built vegas and still has ties. By sheer volume, LA has an edge in the sports cultre......I almost forgot, they don't have a football team. Chicago FTW.

Do Angelinos root for the raiders or the rams?????
Kind of hard to say... There are alot of Raiders fans, but there are equally Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Redskins... and whoever is the team of the moment. For me at least, I would LOVE for the Rams to come back to LA, but i will always root for the Atlanta Falcons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Lmao you would say something so dumb
But Chicago's "superior sports culture" is a rational inference drawn from empirical evidence. Again:

http://m.theatlanticcities.com/arts-...team-usa/2751/

Cheer louder.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Are you guys having an inferiority complex because many people don't consider L.A a real city, or have unfavorable view of it? Your defensiveness is troubling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Seriously, these people are ridiculous..

Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
It's called an opinion. It's traveler's choice. You have a problem?
Yes big problem art institute #1 in us and 3 in world
... Burn that list for sure

Old 08-29-2013, 08:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Art Institute of Chicago #1 in the US? Nah it's #2 by most accounts (at the least, #3) , and no, not #3 in the entire world..

Old 08-29-2013, 08:29 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Perhaps you did not even pay attention that I already said that's not a definitely list of the best Art museums. Later, I just told him that he should visit the Art institute again (he came before the Modern Wing was added) to understand why TripAdvisor's travelers voted it #3 in the world.

Don't make it such a big deal, man. Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yes big problem art institute #1 in us and 3 in world
... Burn that list for sure

Old 08-29-2013, 08:31 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,707 times
And I forgot LA blows Chicago out in terms of Action Sports

Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Art Institute of Chicago #1 in the US? Nah it's #2 by most accounts (at the least, #3) , and no, not #3 in the entire world..
I'd have a hard time putting it even at 5 I'd put met ,national gallery and Smithsonian over it possibly Boston MFA over it also, it's twice as large of a collection. Moma also if considering pure quality and significant works. I do think its better than Getty or de young.. Met Smithsonian and national gallery are the easy 1 2 3 for me

Who are these people saying its 2 ???

As far as museums go I think the best in Chicago are the field and museum of science and industry, I like ai a lit but its not like top of class or anything like met uffizi Louvre London etc

Last edited by grapico; 08-29-2013 at 08:49 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 08:42 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Kind of hard to say... There are alot of Raiders fans, but there are equally Cowboys, Packers, Steelers, Redskins... and whoever is the team of the moment. For me at least, I would LOVE for the Rams to come back to LA, but i will always root for the Atlanta Falcons.
Ok obviously this argument is going nowhere. We are both hitting walls. Lets agree to disagree?

I just began a four day weekend and I don't want continue wasting my time and bantering on a topic that really is not that important. I think we all wasted to much too much time arguing over this already and obviously neither side is giving in. I call a truce.

(But I still think Chicago has a better sports culture )

Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'd have a hard time putting it even at 5 I'd put met ,national gallery and Smithsonian over it possibly BFA over it also, it's twice as large of a collection. Moma also if considering pure quality and significant works.

Who are these people saying its 2 ???

As far as museums go I think the best in Chicago are the field and museum of science and industry, I like ai a lit but its not like top of class or anything
The Art Institute in Chicago is massive, second only in overall size to the Met in NYC and its collections are very extensive. Art Institute is top 2 best museums in Chicago. I'd put MSI at #3. Field Museum and AIC are pretty close, though I'd give the nod to AIC.

I like the National Gallery of Art in DC, MOMA of course, but AIC beats National Gallery in DC for me, for example. I saw a lot of great things there, but came away with the "overrated" feeling and saying "isn't there more?"

I haven't seen ratings in a long time actually because these things are hard to rate. There's a handful of great art museums in the US such as MOMA, The Met, National Gallery of Art, Art Institute of Chicago, The Getty, Guggenheim, etc and AIC definitely rates up there with all of these.

These are not ratings, but lists a top 10:
Top 10 Art Museums in the USA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City