Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 07:14 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Idk murkside Im here right now on Crenshaw boulevard right now middle of the day near Crenshaw Heigh/Leimert Park. It ain’t that black. It’s definitely mostly Mexican, there black folks around but this is a traffic nightmare more than anything. I seen the welcome to black Beverly hill billboards and such but I see many Asians and Hispanics around here on La Tijera Boulevard’s . Doesn’t feel as black intensive and insulated as the inner street of Dorchester and Roxbury let alone Mattapan. Way less personal and less people out. I see mainly middle age Mexican men selling flowers as far as pedestrians

When I was out in Westwood there were no black folks whatsoever. I think as a tourist you’ll see black peoples - there a bunch near crypto.com right now- they’re around.
Fair enough, we just perceive things differently. I was just in Boston in late November----->I was working up in Portland and spent a day hanging out and cruising Boston again. And same as my first trip to Boston in 2018, I saw plenty black folk in Dorchester/Roxbury/Mattapan/Jamaica Plain, but I didn't feel majority black, whhoooolllleeeee lotta Hispanics and even whites in those areas too. We can both be right and wrong simultaneously...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2024, 12:53 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Fair enough, we just perceive things differently. I was just in Boston in late November----->I was working up in Portland and spent a day hanging out and cruising Boston again. And same as my first trip to Boston in 2018, I saw plenty black folk in Dorchester/Roxbury/Mattapan/Jamaica Plain, but I didn't feel majority black, whhoooolllleeeee lotta Hispanics and even whites in those areas too. We can both be right and wrong simultaneously...

Well Jamaica Plain is a majority white (55%+) neighborhood . And has been for 20 years. Its like 13% black and never higher than 17%. I would never use that as a barometer of black areas in Boston, its decidely white then latino and used to be known for white lesbians in particular. Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan and Hyde Park..they all are at least 1.5:1 Blak:Latino but Mattapan is 4:1. The thing is-- places like Inglewood, Gard.ena, Carson, Watts, Compton, Hawthorne, are all more like 20-30% black and 50-70% Latino. …Boston neighborhoods are more the inverse but that includes many Cape Verdeans and Afro-Latinos.

Dorchester for instance is 21% Latino, https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...-ma/residents/

mattapan is only 15% (https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/09/01...ls-field-guide) so if youre seeing a "whoooooole lotta hispanics" im not sure how. There is no majority Hispanic area in either neighborhood.in Dorchester though the Uphams corner area is mostly Cape Verdean- which is confusable as Hispanic.

Also November is whiter across the city than the summer when college students go home and black ppl come out and enjoy the weather.

I made it out to Hawthorne, CA along Inglewood Avenue just to get further from the schools and Airport, I also went on Western Ave to Gardena. What I saw was black peoples more than you see elsewhere in LA but definitely only 20-30% range.... but I saw many Mexicans seeling stuff in some ramshackle shacks and elsewhere. They apparently are allowed to cook food and sell things anywhereon the sidewalk or anywhere in LA. I also was out in Echo Park- my friend from Hyde Park just moved out there (got relocated for work)

One of the things that standsout to me about LA is even in the deepest areas I went you will still find things like Pita/Hummus, Korean, Chinese, Japanese Food and mostly hispanic And not just like "carry-out" or take-out but actual sit down spots with menus and what not. Ther was the Green olive, and Hummus House, and Shwarma shops and all types of stuff. Dozens of Japanaese spots . Whereas much of that is maybe one max at a place this in Hyde Park.
This complex in Dorchester has no spanish-langugae businesses at all. In Boston, Asian business dont operate in the hood at all, definitely not Hummus and stuff. With the exception of a few Chinese take-out spots.

I also went to Roscoes Chicken and Waffles on W Manchester. It was delicious. And nearly all-black clientele. Albeit most of the staff was hispanic. But it has more of the dynamic I think one would expect based off the name. I also hung out and smoked in a park in Hawthorne it was really nice and well maintained kids with a few exceptionsd as a park. There was a small Mexican girls birthday party but the rest of the park users were mostly black.

Meanwhile Census Block groups ike 25025.100.100.2 in Dorchester are 100% black out of 1,144 people.. all 317 households are black (6% black latino, 94% black non latino)

Other block groups like this are 81% black and 10% latino

My neighborhood in Hyde Park is 87% black (excluding mixed race and Hispanic)

Roxbury is about 57% black (including mixed and Hispanic) . Dorchester west of Washington Street is 70%+ black and Mattapan is 84% black (including mixed and Hispanic).

In Northern Roxbury where gentrification has started and espeially Eastern Dorchester that whas always been Irish there are white people. Roxbury is 13% white and Dorchester is 23% white. Mattapan is 3.6% white though. Hyde Park is about 28% White but also over 57.3% black (including mixed race and Hispanic)

Schools in the area are reflective of a majority- black environment.

Roxbury Prep
53% Black
41% Latino
1% White

Mattahunt Elmentary School (Mattapan)
68% Black
26% latino
2% White

Up Academy Dorchester
53% Black
43% Latino
1% White

But areas like a Codman Square, Mattapan Squar,e Cleary Square and Nubian Square, dont really have a large hispanic presnce as you can see from the signage and street views.

Codman

Like I dont think there is a single non black individual in these shots in Mattapan and Dorchester

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2686...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3007...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3050...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3045...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2882...8192?entry=ttu

This shot from Nubian Sqaure is all dark-skin balck folks and one white person

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3296...l=en&entry=ttu

The Boston neighborhoods where Hispanics outnumber blacks are East Boston (53% Latino, 2% black), Roslindale (barely 28% vs 23%), Jamaica Plain and Allston.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 02-12-2024 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-13-2024, 01:06 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I will say that a city mentioned in a recent post that only got media attention due to its water crisis, Flint MI, actually has a low key history of having its share of pro athletes(Football, Basketball and even Tennis) and entertainers from there like the late MC Breed and Terry Crews from that community(I’m sure I’m forgetting about some others). It also has suburban areas/school districts like Carmen-Ainsworth, Beecher and Westwood Heights(Hamady) that are pluralistically/predominantly Black in student enrollment. Some others like Mount Morris, Grand Blanc and even Kearsley, Swartz Creek and Flushing have good sized Black populations. Plus, the metro area(aka Genesee County) is about 20% Black. So, that is a mid sized/smaller Northern metro area that may surprise people if not at the city proper level, it may do so at the metro level.
Quote:
Another MI area that is similar is Saginaw, which is just to the north of Flint and is also a metro that is around 20% black. Saginaw itself is about 46-50% black and places like Bridgeport, parts of Saginaw Township and Buena Vista Township, have well above average to predominantly black percentages. Actually, the portion of the city east of the Saginaw River into Buena Vista can be upwards of 75-90% black in parts.
Besides these two cities/areas, in MI, there are quite a few smaller cities that people may not be familiar with like Muskegon(about 36%, inc. 2022 5 year #s), Muskegon Heights(about 80%, was above 90% not that long ago), Benton Harbor(about 89%), Kalamazoo(about 27%), Albion(about 30%), Battle Creek(about 21%), Jackson(about 27%), Ypsilanti(about 28%) and Kentwood(a suburb of GR, about 23%) that come to mind outside of the Detroit area. You also have of course Grand Rapids(about 22%) and Lansing(about 28%) as well.

Old 02-13-2024, 09:28 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Besides these two cities/areas, in MI, there are quite a few smaller cities that people may not be familiar with like Muskegon(about 36%, inc. 2022 5 year #s), Muskegon Heights(about 80%, was above 90% not that long ago), Benton Harbor(about 89%), Kalamazoo(about 27%), Albion(about 30%), Battle Creek(about 21%), Jackson(about 27%), Ypsilanti(about 28%) and Kentwood(a suburb of GR, about 23%) that come to mind outside of the Detroit area. You also have of course Grand Rapids(about 22%) and Lansing(about 28%) as well.
Seems that most of Michigan's sizable cities have non-trivial Black populations.

However, I do recall hearing or reading articles casting Benton Harbor as the decrepit sibling of next-door St. Joseph. Most of us outside the state, however, have heard of Benton Harbor thanks to it being Whirlpool Corporation's hometown.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:07 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Sag Harbor and Highland Beach should be on the National Historic Register. Sunny Hostin talks about them both in her books.

https://youtu.be/BfRmG2wb6Ls?si=KnJFsAaxYWSI-5Mx

Old 02-14-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Seems that most of Michigan's sizable cities have non-trivial Black populations.

However, I do recall hearing or reading articles casting Benton Harbor as the decrepit sibling of next-door St. Joseph. Most of us outside the state, however, have heard of Benton Harbor thanks to it being Whirlpool Corporation's hometown.
Having been to that area, as I had a college roommate from a nearby town(Stevensville), you can see the difference between the two cities demographically and in terms of condition, though I believe the lakefront area of Benton Harbor has seen some investment in recent years. The comedian/actor Sinbad and actor Ernie Hudson are from there, with its HS Basketball program being highly regarded across the state. Whirlpool is technically in Benton Township just outside of the city.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there are some small towns in the state with substantial to high black populations/percentages as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-14-2024 at 05:58 AM..

Old 02-14-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Sag Harbor and Highland Beach should be on the National Historic Register. Sunny Hostin talks about them both in her books.

https://youtu.be/BfRmG2wb6Ls?si=KnJFsAaxYWSI-5Mx
It is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sag_Ha...toric_District
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City