Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
For NYC, SF and Boston probably in many ways the job market drives this based on organic industry or proof in the pudding

For DC, the gov't subsidy of good jobs drives a lot of this

DC can thank the american taxpayers (now and into the future we took a loan out on DC), you are welcome

So why live in those cities when you can live in a lower cost area for less? Why not get a job somewhere else? Why do people pay so much when they have so little left after they pay for housing? You still have not answered the question? There are jobs everywhere. Why do people put up with such high cost of living? If people decided not pay the high rent and high housing costs, the market would have to adjust. If the apartments stayed empty and houses sat on the market, the prices would have to adjust. Why are people paying it? That is the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Jobs and the right ones coupled with a good environment

There are many areas of Chicago or Philly even that have similar price points, there are also more in these areas with a lower price point

All things considered I would choose Chicago or Philly over DC but if the right job opportunity were only available in DC I could definately live there as well.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
So why live in those cities when you can live in a lower cost area for less? Why not get a job somewhere else? Why do people pay so much when they have so little left after they pay for housing? You still have not answered the question? There are jobs everywhere. Why do people put up with such high cost of living? If people decided not pay the high rent and high housing costs, the market would have to adjust. If the apartments stayed empty and houses sat on the market, the prices would have to adjust. Why are people paying it? That is the question.
DC (Government expansion, war, etc.), NYC (finance) and San Francisco (technology) have dominating industries that attract a large amount of people that need to be in close proximity to their job. They also probably pay the most of any industries.

Other cities with lower costs of living (Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston) do not have such dominating industries. Boston maybe is an outlier in this theory, but it's relative isolation and designation of being the Capital of a large region within a mega-region explain its COL.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Jobs and the right ones coupled with a good environment

There are many areas of Chicago or Philly even that have similar price points, there are also more in these areas with a lower price point

All things considered I would choose Chicago or Philly over DC but if the right job opportunity were only available in DC I could definately live there as well.

What does that have to do with the question? My point is, WHY are people paying these prices? There are millions of jobs in this country. Why live in these area's? Or, since you seem so focused on making this about DC, why do people live in D.C. when the cost of living is so high? Why not just move somewhere else where they would have much more savings after they paid all their bills? D.C.'s job market doesn't even make up a fraction of the jobs in the 50 states in America. What do jobs have to do with it? You can get a job anywhere and you will have more money left over. Why live in D.C.? You hear people say it all the time. I would never move to _____ because it's too expensive. Why are people paying to live there because it is actually very expensive?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
DC (Government expansion, war, etc.), NYC (finance) and San Francisco (technology) have dominating industries that attract a large amount of people that need to be in close proximity to their job. They also probably pay the most of any industries.

Other cities with lower costs of living (Chicago, Philadelphia, Houston) do not have such dominating industries. Boston maybe is an outlier in this theory, but it's relative isolation and designation of being the Capital of a large region within a mega-region explain its COL.
You would have more money left over working in other cities after the bills are paid though. D.C. pay does nothing because of the cost of living. You still have less money.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:57 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Supply in housing. DC, Boston and San Francisco, for example, are physically tiny cities that pack a large punch.

Chicago and Philadelphia have large deindustrialized areas that keep the overall housing supply up and average costs down but the COL in the CBD is probably much more similar than the overall numbers imply.
But then why is Los Angeles a gateway market?

It seems from perusing the links that gateway markets are established as NYC, DC, Bos, SF, LA - as the OP states. Although I still have no idea what qualifying as a gateway market actually entails. It doesn't seem like anyone does, though everyone on this thread desperately wants their city to be included

Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
But then why is Los Angeles a gateway market?

It seems from perusing the links that gateway markets are established as NYC, DC, Bos, SF, LA - as the OP states. Although I still have no idea what qualifying as a gateway market actually entails. It doesn't seem like anyone does, though everyone on this thread desperately wants their city to be included
I don't know. I originally stated that NYC, Miami, LA and SF are the only gateway markets. But I still don't know what the OP is trying to convey the term to mean beside a high cost of living.

Anyway, I would like to explicitly state for the record that I DO NOT want my city (Philly) to be included as a gateway market.
Sorry if I somehow implied otherwise. I simply meant to imply that there are non-organic reasons for the high COL in some cities.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:02 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Although I still have no idea what qualifying as a gateway market actually entails.

Stop killing y'allselves thinking about this.

A Gatewway market is a market named one of the following names:

NY, LA, SF, Boston and DC

Its kind of like being a member of Destiny's Child. You are one if Beyonce's Dad says you are one.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
You would have more money left over working in other cities after the bills are paid though. D.C. pay does nothing because of the cost of living. You still have less money.
People are dumb?

Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
I was just wondering what makes a city a gateway market and what makes a city a non-gateway market. I was also wondering if it had anything to do with the cost of living in these cities. The gateway markets are also the most expensive in the nation. Is there a connection to this?
I think it's important to point out that your source is speaking of "gateway markets" in the real estate sense. To this end, yes, NYC, DC, Boston, SF and LA are all considered top markets for real estate due to extreme restrictions on land supply and potential for yielding profits from investments.

That doesn't mean "gateway" is a catch-all term for everything else, such as cultural, retail or other attributes, especially when excluding "non-gateway" cities would eliminate several of the country's largest metro areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City