Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would would you rather visit?
Atlanta 41 21.47%
San Diego 85 44.50%
Seattle 65 34.03%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:23 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Who plans a vacation around shopping? That's the stuff I look to avoid.
A lot of people, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Seattle then
San Diego

Atlanta not so much

Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 PM

268 posts, read 948,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Seattle then
San Diego

Atlanta not so much
Judging by your name I can see why "Atlanta not so much"

Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relegate View Post
What is "LOL" about Portland's shopping? Have you ever been there?

Portland actually has a nice shopping district Downtown (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=macy&...2,,0,6.82&z=16),

A wide variety of boutique clothing shops and specialty stores (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cloth...58.94,,0,14.58)

and a ton of department stores and some high end stores in malls and other districts.

It offers far better shopping than Chatanooga - the comparison isn't even close. The only similarity is lack of sales tax.
Its a just a joke about Chattanooga ,yet I will say that Nashville is definitely better than Portland.Not to say that Portland does not have decent shopping but its not on the same scale as Atlanta and Seattle.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
We don't! But, if we're in Portland for a long weekend, as Seattleites frequently do, it's a great place to do some shopping. My point was the three cities are comparable when it comes to shopping, with the only big money-saving advantage for Atlanta being a 1-2% lower sales tax rate.
Accept Atlanta does have more high end boutiques and our dept stores are typically larger and carry more selections.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Accept Atlanta does have more high end boutiques and our dept stores are typically larger and carry more selections.
Really? Tell me more about the high end boutiques you have that you don't think Seattle has. Of course, Nordstrom was founded in Seattle and has some huge stores here, including the flagship store in downtown Seattle and one of its largest stores just across the lake in Bellevue.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:27 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,564 times
Quote:
Really? Tell me more about the high end boutiques you have that you don't think Seattle has. Of course, Nordstrom was founded in Seattle and has some huge stores here, including the flagship store in downtown Seattle and one of its largest stores just across the lake in Bellevue.
Anne Fontaine
Bally
Bang & Olufsen
Bloomingdales
Bottega Veneta
Bulgari
Calypso St. Barth
Cartier
David Yurman
Diesel
Elie Tahari
Ermenegildo Zegna
Fendi
Giorgio Armani
Herve Leger
Hublot
Intermix
Jack Spade
Joe's Jeans
Kenneth Cole
LK Bennett
Montblanc
Nicole Miller
Prada
Ralph Lauren
Rebecca Taylor
Roberto Coin
Saks Fifth Avenue
St. John
Steven Alan
Stuart Weitzman
Suitsupply
Tourneau
Valentino
Versace
Vince

In addition, Trina Turk, Agent Provocateur, Vince Camuto and Scotch & Soda are opening soon.

Last edited by nature's message; 04-27-2013 at 02:58 AM..

Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,217 times
Quote:
Bloomingdales is almost 300, 000 sq ft
Macys flagship is 433, 000 square ft
Our neimans is a lot larger over 200, 000 sq Seattles neimans is one of the smaller ones in the chain

Versace
Prada
Fendi
Nicole miller
Cartier
Hublot
Gorgio Armani
Ellie tahari
Trina turk
Bottega Veneta
Herve leger
Balgavri
Ballys
Ermenegildo zegna.
G star Raw
Stuart We it man
Jack Rodgers
And sad part is u guys are just now about to get a Zara we have 2 here since 2007

So I think u may want to retract your statement that shopping is the same.

Last edited by Staysean23; 04-27-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,766 times
Just so you know, we have a ton of those boutiques (and mall stores) you just listed. Plus Hermes, Jimmy Choo, Chanel, Gucci, Ferragamo, Tory Burch and many specialty high-end boutiques local to our area. We also have a Barneys New York flagship store. Downtown Seattle Nordstrom is 383,000 sq ft; I'm not sure how many square feet the downtown Seattle Macy's is (it's one of the flagship stores, too), but it's probably similar in size to Nordstrom... it's in its own large building downtown. Then you have the suburban locations of both, some of which are almost just as big (the Bellevue Nordstrom, for instance, is almost 300,000 sq feet).

Zara's a glorified H&M, so it's fun for bargain shopping, but I wouldn't say that's the bar a city's shopping should be measured by. If that's the case, consider that we're likely to get a Uniqlo store in Seattle soon, which you probably won't have for a while.

Point is, both cities have great shopping, and each is going to have some stores that the other doesn't due to local consumers' tastes. And that's that.

Last edited by BellevueNative; 04-27-2013 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 10:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Bloomingdales is almost 300, 000 sq ft
Macys flagship is 433, 000 square ft
Our neimans is a lot larger over 200, 000 sq Seattles neimans is one of the smaller ones in the chain

Versace
Prada
Fendi
Nicole miller
Cartier
Hublot
Gorgio Armani
Ellie tahari
Trina turk
Bottega Veneta
Herve leger
Balgavri
Ballys
Ermenegildo zegna.
G star Raw
Stuart We it man
Jack Rodgers
And sad part is u guys are just now about to get a Zara we have 2 here since 2007

So I think u may want to retract your statement that shopping is the same.
The difference is Seattle's Zara will be 3 times the size of the Atlanta stores 2nd to NY flagship store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City