Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would would you rather visit?
Atlanta 41 21.47%
San Diego 85 44.50%
Seattle 65 34.03%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Every town has a good part and bad part.If you were downtown it relative safe.Some people are fine others are scared to eath because they dont see more "diversity"

That makes NO sense.If its a 24 hr airport then it would be more common that more flights would be leaving.Your rationale does not add up.
90 million people fly in Atlanta.Do actually believe that 40 million of that is overnight visitors coming through the airport OVERNIGHT?

Most layovers are by hours,NOT overnight.
There is not one single attraction in Atlant that is not making money.
Not one attraction in Seattle or San Diego can match Atlanta largest attraction.The Georgia Aquarium.
,MLK JR National Historic Park,Word of Coke and Cenntenial Olympic park have more visitors that any collection of attraction in the other 2 cities.

Atlanta's High Museum of Art gets 510,000 a year.SAM gets 346,000.
The Georgia Aquarium is the world largest with 2 million
visitors a year.Seattle Aquarium gets 800,000 per year.Over night visitor at best would have time for a dinner downtown and a stroll but not time to go see attractions that mostly close at 5-6pm.

Most of the hotels are not even near the airport as they are in Downtown ,Midtown and Buckhead.
No one is saying ATL is the first choice but it is a choice.Is it San Diego?NO,but Seattle does not do the volume of tourist Atlanta does.Not even close.
you did not catch what i was talking about. atlanta airport is 24 hours, but san diego airport has strict curfew rules which makes it difficult to catch a red eye into the city. because of the delay, we HAD to stay the night in atlanta. there was no flight to san diego when we landed in atlanta. i'm not saying 35 million other passengers have to do the same thing each year, but don't act like of atlanta airports 90 million passengers, that several of them don't end up getting a hotel for the night. further, since atlanta is the world's busiest airport, there is an unusually high number of flight attendants and pilots who are from out of their main hub and get an atlanta hotel for the night. Do not just assume 35 million visitors equates to 35 million tourists who have atlanta on their mind. that is my point.

not one attraction in san diego can match atlanta's attractions? georgia aquarium gets 2 million visitors, but sea world san diego gets 4.5 million visitors, san diego zoo gets 4 million, and safari park (another zoo in san diego) gets another 3 million, while legoland gets 2 million. san diego's balboa park, which is a giant park that has a collection of museums, gets 12 million visitors a year. san diego's very own scripps aquarium gets 415,000 visitors each year. and mission bay gets over 100,000 visitors each weekend in the summer alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,046,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
The last few pages of this are highly entertaining.
People are straight up hating on Atlanta. This is ridiculous!!

Old 05-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Get your facts straight and you might want to brush up on your knowledge of America Cities,

D.C,NYC,Chicago,Baltimre,Philly,New Orleans etc have all lost and gained populaion. Its obvious attempt because you cannot dispute my remarks about Atlanta being the number one destination for African American visitor.Maybe you should go back and find the link I posted.

Most Katrina victimes went Houston by far,not Atlanta.So what if they did?

I have not been the one talking atbout Atlanta MSA.Again you want to dwell on sprawl.I live a mile from the Ga Dome and Aquarium.I only go to the suburbs to visit family or one of my properties

The same Atlanta thats the 15th fastest growing city 2011 not some obviously bad nonsensical fact from 30-40years.Slavery was 150 years ago.Does it matter now?No.Dumbest thing I have heard in a while.
And you say Im trying to hard?REALLY?LOL ok dude.Let me stop before I really cause you to get more unhinged.

This is called a LINK.We use this to list our source to site for the information whe list.I would be happy to tell you how when I have more time if you like?
Census Bureau News -- Texas Dominates List of Fastest-Growing Large Cities Since 2010... -- WASHINGTON, June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --
Thanks for the link. Here's a statistic that matters. Fastest growing cities by population growth according to prnewswife.com, and ATLANTA is not included:

Table 2. The 15 Cities with the Largest Numeric Increase from April 1, 2010, to July 1, 2011

Numeric Increase is the first number
2011 Total Population is the second number.
1. New York
2. Houston
3. San Antonio
4. Austin, Texas
5. Los Angeles
6. Dallas
7. Phoenix
8. Denver
9. Charlotte, N.C.
10. San Diego
11. New Orleans
12. Fort Worth, Texas
13. El Paso, Texas
14. Washington
15. San Jose, Calif.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Do you often just say stuff with no facts?
10 Largest Aquariums in the World | Touropia

Mot even anywhere orrect.
I was being sarcastic atone!! and yet im still technically right. shamu's tank ALONE is 7 million gallons. SeaWorld | The Orca Project

further, of course sea world has more tanks, aka aquariums, throughout the park. including the dolphin habitat, the dolphin show, the shark encounter, manatee rescue, and the plethora of other aquariums scattered throughout. YAY for georgia's one massive tank.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I want to get in on the fun, but I don't feel mentally strong enough.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
i'm not hating on atlanta, i'm just sick of hearing all of afone's skewed data BS. without a doubt, most of atlanta metro is nice. i get that. but afone needs to stop sensationalizing area attractions and visitor numbers. He also has to stop glorifying atlanta's growth like it's some sort of urban behemoth.

just talk about what atlanta really is, a fast growing metropolitan area with lots of business activity.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Dude, you're trying too hard. Atlanta is a fast growing city because its a CSA/Metro/Urban area with a plethora of available land, wide open spaces, and huge gaps even within the city proctor. SoCal is established and nearly built to the max

Quote:
man, you have all gone way off topic. can we get back to the subject on how atlanta is the southern sanctuary city for displaced hurricane katrina survivors? yes, atlanta's population has exploded over the last several years, because its combined statistical area encompasses an area of TEN THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED SQUARE MILES, DUH!!!!!! Why don't we talk about the ACTUAL city of Atlanta. You know, the one that had a population of 500,000 in 1970 but only 445,000 today!

Atlanta Metro has been one of the fastest growing metros in America for the last several years because (not necessarily in this order):

1. It's a major transportation hub that has long been the connecting point between the Northern and Southern United States. This goes for railroad, highway and airline connections.

2. It has a huge supply of educated professional recruits with Georgia Tech (the Nations third highest ranked and largest public Engineering School), one of the nations highest ranked universities in Emory and, Georgia State University, Morehouse, Spellman and Clark Universities.

3. It's within a two hour flight or less from 80 percent of the Nations population making it a great distribution hub and location for regional and national offices.

4. It is third in the Nation for Fortune 500 companies.

5. Fact that it has the Worlds Busiest Airport with all those flights doesn't make it a bad choice for those businesses or individuals that need to travel alot.

6. Weather wise it has all four seasons but it is mild most of the year round.

7. It's about a three hour drive from both the Nations fourth busiest (Savannah) and tenth busiest (Charleston) Sea Ports.

There are many other reasons as well .. AND.. it doesn't hurt that the Metro has relatively plentiful land and lower real estate prices.

Last edited by Galounger; 05-26-2013 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

Atlanta Metro has been one of the fastest growing metros in America for the last several years because (not necessarily in this order):

1. It's a major transportation hub that has long been the connecting point between the Northern and Southern United States. This goes for railroad, highway and airline connections.

2. It has a huge supply of educated professional recruits with Georgia Tech (the Nations third highest ranked public Engineering School), one of the nations highest ranked universities in Emory and, Georgia State University, Morehouse, Spellman and Clark Universities.

3. It's within a two hour flight or less from 80 percent of the Nations population making it a great distribution hub and location for regional and national offices.

5. Fact that it has the Worlds Busiest Airport with all those flights doesn't make it a bad choice for those businesses or individuals that need to travel alot.

7. It's about a three hour drive from both the Nations fourth busiest (Savannah) and tenth busiest (Charleston) Sea Ports.

There are many other reasons as well AND.. it doesn't hurt that the Metro has relatively plentiful land and lower real estate prices.
okay, sorry for my tasteless joke that was specifically aimed at afone for fudging so many of his numbers. i had to throw that in there because the fact is, 80,000 katrina evacuees still live in atlanta metro and have, for the most part, decided to stay:

‘Whole new world’ ‘Katrina’ victims still finding joy in Atlanta - The Atlanta Voice: News

also, i 100% agree with your particular list, not anything afone has to say.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:26 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

2. It has a huge supply of educated professional recruits with Georgia Tech (the Nations third highest ranked and largest public Engineering School), one of the nations highest ranked universities in Emory and, Georgia State University, Morehouse, Spellman and Clark Universities.

There are many other reasons as well .. AND.. it doesn't hurt that the Metro has relatively plentiful land and lower real estate prices.
Plentiful land is an understatement. Homes are going up all over the place. Especially in places I thought were fairly built out. Somehow they can still sneak a few more suckers in there. I also don't think the importance of the airport can be overstated. The ability to go nearly anywhere, both domestic and international, is a marvelous asset. With that said, I voted for Seattle.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 AM

atlanta has plenty of room. almost 3,000 square miles in its urban area of 4.5 million people. if the city of los angeles with its sprawl and all can fit 4 million residents in 450 square miles of city land, atlanta's urban area should still have plentiful pockets of land for urban growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City