Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs. Kansas City
Pittsburgh 45 61.64%
Kansas City 28 38.36%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 05:17 PM

669 posts, read 914,747 times

Advertisements

Two of my top choices for out state relocation in the future. Which in your opinion is better overall considering everything about them and everything they offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Pittsburgh has much more to offer and is in a much better location.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:21 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
You should probably mention something about what you are personally looking for.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:31 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,255 times
Kansas City. It has a lot of fast growing suburbs, its much warmer than Pittsburg and its more affordable.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Pittsburgh, not even close.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM

1,151 posts, read 1,653,746 times
Pittsburgh, hands down!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
KC is a great city and has a lot to offer, but I like Pittsburgh much more. Lots more to do if you like outdoors, kayaking, biking etc downtown, mountains nearby. There is even ski lift assisted downhill mountain biking near Pittsburgh that we drive to from the DC area.

Ballparks are downtown and downtown is just much more of a focal point of the metro than in KC where everything is just spread out all over the place and private investment by the local business community in downtown is nearly non-existent.

Despite everything the city of KCMO has done to bring back the central city, the metro continues to turn its back on downtown and puts more effort into subsidizing suburban sprawl while even Pittsburgh is building new corporate office buildings.

While Downtown Pittsburgh needs more residential, I think it’s quickly catching up in that regard and there are some great neighborhoods around downtown.

So, again, KC is a nice city and I don't think 99% of the country knows how much KC does offer (KC is just not seen as a large urban city due to its association with Kansas which is too bad because it is so much more than most people know), but Pittsburgh is more my style.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:15 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Advantages that Pittsburgh has over Kansas City

- It's economy has been more resilient and faster-growing in recent years
- It has a critical mass of colleges and universities to spur economic innovation
- Its income growth rates have been among the fastest of any major MSA
- It's located close to many other major cities
- It has nicer natural scenery
- It has more outdoor recreational opportunities, both in the city and the greater region
- Its climate isn't as prone to extremes
- It has a richer professional sports history

Advantages Kansas City has over Pittsburgh

- It's the most centrally-located major MSA in the United States
- It's not nearly as burdened by legacy costs
- It's never had to fundamentally restructure its economy and play "catch up"
- It's located at the junction of two long-distance Interstates, and has a more modern highway system
- Flatter land encourages mobility and moderates real estate costs
- Its built environment leaves more elbow room
- It's sunnier and less humid
- It has some of the best BBQ in the United States

Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
If I had to choose, I would say KC because I would at least be able to have decent barbecue. lol.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,695 times
Pittsburgh is probably one of the best rated cities on this forum and by many publications in the US. A really lovely place, that has led the way for how to bring a city back from the dead to vibrant life. Unless you have a very specific criteria list that disqualifies it, I don't think you can go wrong with Pittsburgh.

10 plus years ago, KC used to be a pretty awful place. Seriously. It's downtown was a complete disaster, and there really wasn't much else going on. However, things have changed for the better, and the city has made a 180 degree upswing (like many mid-major metros in the Midwest). While not as drastic of an improvement as Pitt, it's still quite impressive. Today, it's now getting well earned national attention due to it's arts scene, cuisine, ammenities/attractions, and overall quality of urban living.

I don't think you will go wrong with either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City