Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Ghetos
Dallas 2 2.60%
Los Angeles 15 19.48%
Chicago 52 67.53%
Houston 8 10.39%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times

Advertisements

I'm kind of surprised by everybody saying LA ghettos look so nice. I guess you can't depend on movies about Compton and Watts afterall, lol.

But in all seriousness, I once had a professor in my black power movement class tell me that LA will fool you. You'll be in an area that looks pretty nice, and the guys there talk pretty "neutral", and before you know it they're robbing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han$ome Texan View Post
Wrong some areas in downtown killeen do rival dallas. I had two friends murdered in killeen so don't give me that crap
Oh please. Sorry about your friends, but your two friends could have been murdered in Salado and it still doesn't mean their hoods are as bad as Dallas. I grew up in Killeen. There is NOTHING in Killeen as bad as Pleasant Grove or South Oak Cliff.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Oh my goodness the ghettos in the South are sprawly! As a Northerner, I associate ghettos with high-density housing and infrastructure....often with high-rises. "If an area is rural, it can't be a ghetto", is often my thinking when I'm in Northern cities. These pictures prove otherwise! Although it doesn't necessarily look dangerous per se, it certainly looks decrepid and abandoned, which is telling in an of itself.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Oh please. Sorry about your friends, but your two friends could have been murdered in Salado and it still doesn't mean their hoods are as bad as Dallas. I grew up in Killeen. There is NOTHING in Killeen as bad as Pleasant Grove or South Oak Cliff.
Let's be respectful, everyone...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Lol, you mentioned Salado.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Oh my goodness the ghettos in the South are sprawly! As a Northerner, I associate ghettos with high-density housing and infrastructure....often with high-rises. "If an area is rural, it can't be a ghetto", is often my thinking when I'm in Northern cities. These pictures prove otherwise! Although it doesn't necessarily look dangerous per se, it certainly looks decrepid and abandoned, which is telling in an of itself.
They are pretty typical of Southern ghettos.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Southern ghettos don't have your typical housing projects.

In Houston and Dallas a lot of the ghettos are actually former African-American towns that were inhabited by free slaves that were eventually annexed by the Houston and Dallas. That's why a lot of them have that rural look and feel, cause they're really just small towns that got annexed, lol.

A few weeks ago we drove from Downtown Dallas to Sweet Georgia Brown in south oak cliff, it felt like we should be hitting a different town soon.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
As they say, Chicago is a tale of two cities. I don't know if there's another city like that. Easy choice... Chicago out of these 4.
Chicago's poverty rate and median income probably aren't much different than these other three cities.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Let's be respectful, everyone...
I didn't disrespect him and I am sorry to hear about his friends. But crime can happen anywhere was my main point. But nothing in the town I grew up could rival the worse hoods in Dallas.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Like stated before, this is pretty typical for ghettos in the South. Only New Orleans and perhaps Miami has ghettos that have high density but Miami is spread out over complexes so there are very little highrises. Don't be fooled though. Doesn't look dangerous but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Southern ghettos don't have your typical housing projects.

In Houston and Dallas a lot of the ghettos are actually former African-American towns that were inhabited by free slaves that were eventually annexed by the Houston and Dallas. That's why a lot of them have that rural look and feel, cause they're really just small towns that got annexed, lol.

A few weeks ago we drove from Downtown Dallas to Sweet Georgia Brown in south oak cliff, it felt like we should be hitting a different town soon.
Yep. Even in DC. It's a different world from Southeast compared to the rest of DC. Some of it looks downright rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City