Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southern City with the Best Futuristic Outlook
Columbia, SC 3 2.48%
Raleigh, NC 32 26.45%
Memphis 2 1.65%
Charlotte 34 28.10%
Richmond, VA 2 1.65%
Charleston, SC 4 3.31%
Nashville 44 36.36%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd say Baltimore has a bright future.
If only it was a Southern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I don't wanna seem like a homer but New Orleans should be in this conversation. It's future is brighter than most of these cities.
I feel that most cities that don't have a strong urban core are not sustainable for years to come.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't wanna seem like a homer but New Orleans should be in this conversation. It's future is brighter than most of these cities.
I feel that most cities that don't have a strong urban core are not sustainable for years to come.
Tourist/entertainment wise, yeah. Job/population growth, not so much as other cities on the list.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Tourist/entertainment wise, yeah. Job/population growth, not so much as other cities on the list.
As transportation gets less efficient, it can be a huge deterrent to locating companies. We've had this problem in Baton Rouge many times as our roads network is terrible. I don't want to get too of topic but I don't think these cities like Charlotte and Houston (I mention it because I have experience there and it's known for it's recent job growth) will sustain all the growth they've had without relatively immediate urban renewal.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
As transportation gets less efficient, it can be a huge deterrent to locating companies. We've had this problem in Baton Rouge many times as our roads network is terrible. I don't want to get too of topic but I don't think these cities like Charlotte and Houston (I mention it because I have experience there and it's known for it's recent job growth) will sustain all the growth they've had without relatively immediate urban renewal.
Charlotte hasn't experienced large traffic problems, despite the population boom within recent years. The infrastructure is fairly new/being expanded to better adjoin the people using the interstates/highways/light rail and soon to be streetcar.

Raleigh on the other hand has some pretty bad traffic, but that hasn't slowed down the development of the RTP.

I don't think any city on the list will get as rough as Atlanta's traffic, which definitely could loose businesses and other people that aren't willing to go through the hassle to get to an office tower Uptown.

IMO, Charlotte's really good at planning for the future, so if there becomes a significant lack of transportation, I don't think it'd be a problem.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
I voted for Nashville by accident. That city is huge sprawl, over 500 square miles and barely 600,000 people. All that city does is annex land. I guess it has plenty of room to grow, but so far it's not receiving large population growth like the Raleigh-Durham metro area is. That area is booming.

Charlotte and Raleigh with Nashville in 3rd.

I'm surprised Birmingham didn't make this list.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:41 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I voted for Nashville by accident. That city is huge sprawl, over 500 square miles and barely 600,000 people. All that city does is annex land.
Wrong. Nashville has not annexed one square inch since 1963 when it merged with Davidson County.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'd say Baltimore has a bright future.
It does but its northern.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Charlotte hasn't experienced large traffic problems, despite the population boom within recent years. The infrastructure is fairly new/being expanded to better adjoin the people using the interstates/highways/light rail and soon to be streetcar.

Raleigh on the other hand has some pretty bad traffic, but that hasn't slowed down the development of the RTP.

I don't think any city on the list will get as rough as Atlanta's traffic, which definitely could loose businesses and other people that aren't willing to go through the hassle to get to an office tower Uptown.

IMO, Charlotte's really good at planning for the future, so if there becomes a significant lack of transportation, I don't think it'd be a problem.
That's nice to know. I don't know much about Charlotte to have an educated opinion.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:01 AM

48 posts, read 168,083 times
I voted Charlotte. It's a nice city with a good cost of living, I think it will continue to grow rapidly over the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City