Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM

214 posts, read 410,498 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to rap my head around this website that someone posted in a Seattle thread called Area Vibes - that calculates each cities livability score. After plugging in the scores for the following cities, the results are below. I don't know if I agree or disagree (I'm waiting on the comments and thoughts of others).

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Atlanta - 78
Boston - 73
Chicago - 70
Dallas - 78
DC - 74
Denver - 74
Houston - 79
LA - 75
Miami - 71
Minneapolis - 72
NY - 73
Philadelphia - 68
SD - 78
SF - 76
Seattle - 77

* I know it's all about preference but some of these are an interesting calculation.

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 06:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Interesting site. The scores in Philly seem to range from 78 (zip codes in Center City/Chestnut Hill) to 58 in Fairhill (the cities poorest neighborhood). My zip code was a 67 citing Lots of Local Amenities, Sunny Weather, High Income per Capita and Stable Housing Market as positives. Not sure why it gave a D for cost of living as I live in a very socioeconomically diverse and affordable neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
One thing I noticed is their weather ranking system is fkn stupid and I don't get it. And when you look at what data they are using it looks like they are using record high and low temperatures over the past 3-7 years instead of averages.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:19 AM

My zip code south of downtown in Denver (Golden Triangle) received a 74. It gave us a D for education crime and a D+ for employment but downtown is literally a 1/2 mile away. The D for COL is very accurate.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,194,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
One thing I noticed is their weather ranking system is fkn stupid and I don't get it. And when you look at what data they are using it looks like they are using record high and low temperatures over the past 3-7 years instead of averages.
How would that "screw over" SF -- practically the most weather-benign city in the U.S.?

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
I think in some big cities like NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, LA, etc it depends all on where you live. So in Chicago for example, most of the crime that plagues what people believe about the city actually happens away from areas, where if you have a decent job, you'd be living. Obvious exceptions but most people with nice Accounting jobs aren't flocking to anywhere near Englewood or the middle of Austin/Humboldt Park. I don't really see any of the violence someone in Washington might hear all about in the media. Not even close. For me, it's extremely livable where I live. Where I live, I don't own a car nor need one. I have tons within walking distance right out my door, etc. Very safe. I walked home alone at 3am for 1.25 miles on Friday night. No big deal as it's very safe. But in other parts of the city it's not like that. They basically put the Livability ranking for Chicago in the mid point of the city which is in the Bridgeport neighborhood. Not that the area isn't unlivable, but other parts of the city are much better for that. SO...

I wish they could make the ratings more localized. It would be really interesting to see if they could do that and IMO more useful overall for a number of actual cities in the US.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
How would that "screw over" SF -- practically the most weather-benign city in the U.S.?
I didn't say anything about SF being "screwed" over but the data they show really isn't reflective of actual conditions/averages at all for several cities I looked up. And with few exceptions it seems to highly favor cities with extreme heat like AZ and FL cities.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I didn't say anything about SF being "screwed" over but the data they show really isn't reflective of actual conditions/averages at all for several cities I looked up. And with few exceptions it seems to highly favor cities with extreme heat like AZ and FL cities.
I was a little surprised to see "sunny weather" listed for every zip code I plugged in for Philly. That may be true today but certainly not all Winter.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM

@marithisu, I agree on the central location. I guess when you put in your zip code or neighborhood you get a more accurate assessment. It does seem to favor cities that actually have some forms of extreme heat (sunbelt), which I wonder if that is the consensus of the general public.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
My area of my city got an 89. Its just as well, I love living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City