Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Juneau) 31 38.75%
Great Lakes (Chicago, Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland) 49 61.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:29 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,326,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I agree that Portland (and Denver)-- as cities-- are in a different league as far as micro brewing. But as far as "regional", the Great Lakes beat the Northwest. It just does. And Milwaukee (Lakefront and others) and St. Louis (O'Fallon, others) add to the quality and breadth of the microbrewing industry in the Midwest.

Oh, and BTW, Chicago is not there yet but soon it will likely be a peer of Portland and Denver as far as metro centers for craft brewing. This is esteemed company.
The PNW has a lot of regional and national beers that are better than what you find in Milwaukee and St. Louis. Not just talking brew pubs, but beers like Deschutes and Rogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I didn't really take it as a slight, just as non-factual. Any news or weather channel will include Indiana in the Great Lakes region.
Right, and I'm not saying that Indiana isn't part of the Great Lakes region, but there is no sizable city (aside from Gary, a Chicago suburb) from Indiana associated with the Great Lakes. All the other states have at least one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
[quote=nashvols;27296561]The PNW has a lot of regional and national beers that are better than what you find in Milwaukee and St. Louis. Not just talking brew pubs, but beers like Deschutes and Rogue.

quote]

I agree with this. Both Rogue and Deschutes are creme de la creme.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM

And before someone says anything, yes, I realize that Deschutes is from Bend and Rogue is from Newport, but both have brew pubs in Portland, and it's probably somewhat thanks to Portland's beer culture that they are so popular well beyond Oregon's borders.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
And before someone says anything, yes, I realize that Deschutes is from Bend and Rogue is from Newport, but both have brew pubs in Portland, and it's probably somewhat thanks to Portland's beer culture that they are so popular well beyond Oregon's borders.
Same thing going on here in the Midwest. Laganitas is building a production center (an actual brewery) in Chicago the same size as its California facility. Three Floyds has a rumored brew pub coming to Chicago. Goose Island has pubs and facilities across Chicago (and even into Vermont). Two Brothers brews in Warrenville (Chicago burb) and a new brewery/pub in Aurora. And on and on and on...

Sorry, I've taked this thread well-off path. Either way, Midwest and PNW are both tops in brew culture.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Same thing going on here in the Midwest. Laganitas is building a production center (an actual brewery) in Chicago the same size as its California facility. Three Floyds has a rumored brew pub coming to Chicago. Goose Island has pubs and facilities across Chicago (and even into Vermont). Two Brothers brews in Warrenville (Chicago burb) and a new brewery/pub in Aurora. And on and on and on...

Sorry, I've taked this thread well-off path. Either way, Midwest and PNW are both tops in brew culture.
I definitely agree that if you take the Great Lakes region as a whole, it has some very heavy hitters on the craft beer scene. Unfortunately the region is better known for the macrobrew stinky light lagers that they also produce.

Between the PNW and Great Lakes, it probably comes down to preference more than anything when it comes to craft beer.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,514,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Let's not pretend that Washington wine is nation known brand(like Napa or Sonoma). It's a regionally known and drank.
Well, Washington State is the third largest wine producer in the nation in after California(which has the vast majority of wine grapes in the nation with about 89%) and will soon surpass New York State in second place. Oregon is the fourth largest producer in the nation.

Really though, wine is more about quality than quantity. Oregon is the best producer of high quality Pinot Noirs in the US(Go to the International Pinot Celebration in McMinnville and see how many people from out of state are there.). Washington isn't as well known for one varietal, but has excellent Cabs. To say that the Pacific Northwest isn't known for wine is only true if you're not a wine connoisseur.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well, Washington State is the third largest wine producer in the nation in after California(which has the vast majority of wine grapes in the nation with about 89%) and will soon surpass New York State in second place. Oregon is the fourth largest producer in the nation.

Really though, wine is more about quality than quantity. Oregon is the best producer of high quality Pinot Noirs in the US(Go to the International Pinot Celebration in McMinnville and see how many people from out of state are there.). Washington isn't as well known for one varietal, but has excellent Cabs. To say that the Pacific Northwest isn't known for wine is only true if you're not a wine connoisseur.
As someone who drinks a lot of wine, I don't waste my $s on wine from CA or WA. Europe provides much better value.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM

3,414 posts, read 5,122,095 times
Quote:
No.

Now there is some great beer out of the Great Lakes region...Bell's (Kalamazoo), Founders (Grand Rapids), Goose Island (Chicago), Three Floyds (Indiana -- just outside Chicago).

But Milwaukee and St. Louis? Not in the same ballpark as a place like Portland.
How could you leave out Great Lakes Brewery? It seems particularly apropos for this thread.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 12-11-2012 at 04:03 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 04:27 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
Quote:
The PNW has a lot of regional and national beers that are better than what you find in Milwaukee and St. Louis. Not just talking brew pubs, but beers like Deschutes and Rogue.

Right, and I'm not saying that Indiana isn't part of the Great Lakes region, but there is no sizable city (aside from Gary, a Chicago suburb) from Indiana associated with the Great Lakes. All the other states have at least one.
You know the great lakes has quite a few known breweries also. Bells, New Glarus, Three Floyd's, Two Brothers, Great Lakes Brewing Company, Half Acre ... etc.

I prefer beers out of the PNW myself, however, the Great Lakes is no slouch.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You know the great lakes has quite a few known breweries also. Bells, New Glarus, Three Floyd's, Two Brothers, Great Lakes Brewing Company, Half Acre ... etc.

I prefer beers out of the PNW myself, however, the Great Lakes is no slouch.
I actually mentioned Bells and Three Floyds by name in this thread.

And I added this:

Quote:
I definitely agree that if you take the Great Lakes region as a whole, it has some very heavy hitters on the craft beer scene. Unfortunately the region is better known for the macrobrew stinky light lagers that they also produce.

Between the PNW and Great Lakes, it probably comes down to preference more than anything when it comes to craft beer.
I wasn't trying to diss the Great Lakes craft scene...just suggesting that it wasn't St. Louis and Milwaukee that were leading it...especially compared to Portland, OR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City