Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 01:29 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,485 times

Advertisements

NYC
Seattle
Miami
San Diego
NOLA
LA
Philadelphia
Houston
Dallas
Austin
San Antonio
Chicago
Minneapolis
Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Tampa
Orlando
San Francisco
Atlanta
DC
Cleveland
Detroit
Denver
Salt Lake City

Which city has the most unique vibe to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
NYC
Seattle
Miami
San Diego
NOLA
LA
Philadelphia
Houston
Dallas
Austin
San Antonio
Chicago
Minneapolis
Pittsburgh
Charlotte
Tampa
Orlando
San Francisco
Atlanta
DC
Cleveland
Detroit
Denver
Salt Lake City

Which city has the most unique vibe to you?
I must rep one of my favorite cities: MEMPHIS! Cities that strike me the most are the ones that "vibe out". Memphis has vibe! I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Memphis for the first time. I had no idea that it was/ is a chocolate city. I hope that the term does not offend. The city just embraced me with its Southern charm. Memphis feels festive. However, MEMPHIS IS GRITTY! I dig that too.

St. Louis is also a city that vibes out. It has a great air! Good eats adds to the feel. Perhaps, growing up in the Midwest adds to my appreciation of St. Louis.

I'm going to lump Beeville, Tx, Houston, Corpus Christi, and San Antonio in the same category. I spent a summer in Texas in my youth. All of the said cities embraced me and had a totally different vibe from what I was accustomed to. I saw palm trees for the first time in my life. I was in the South. However, it felt nothing like the little town outside of Jackson, Ms that we would frequent in my youth.

Although my time in Philly was brief; the city made an indelible impression on me. My first trip out East. I felt like I was in a hip hop video! Cool ass big city vibe!

I'll never forget the first time I went to DC. I caught the same vibe that I caught in Philly. It felt great!

I live in Atlanta now. I would like to read what Atlanta felt like prior to the "invasion." For sure, it feels good to be out with the family on a Saturday. Especially in the summer. I certainly pick up on the energy. However, it's different. As much as people speak negatively about Riverdale; that place vibes!

As a suburbanite, I use to HATE going to Chicago as a child. My cousins would not stop. Be it slap boxing, signifying, etc. However, the ENERGY was incredible! As I got older, I was enveloped by the energy. I just love the way that we use to get down. Music was good back then. It has this wonderful big city vibe. It has a wonderful Midwestern vibe. It has this crazy festive vibe! It feels dangerous. It feels inviting, etc.

I'm looking forward to feeling L.A. one day.

I can't say which one felt most unique.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
NYC - Fast-paced
Seattle - Granola and grungy
Miami - Upscale Latin
San Diego - Beach/surfer culture mixed with military
NOLA - Cajun culture, blues
LA - Pretentious wanna-be movie stars
Philadelphia - Never been there
Houston - Been through there but not long enough to get a vibe
Dallas - Upscale and traditional Texan
Austin - Never been there, but I imagine a large hipster scene
San Antonio - Never been there
Chicago - Fast-paced but not as much as NYC
Minneapolis - Also imagine a hipster scene
Pittsburgh - Never been there
Charlotte - Southern, like Atlanta 20 years ago
Tampa - Beach
Orlando - Not sure, only there's more outside of Disneyworld
San Francisco - Hipsters/hippies
Atlanta - Southern, upscale mixed with hip-hop
DC - Governmental
Cleveland - Never been there but I imagine industrial like Detroit
Detroit - Industrial, gritty, ghetto
Denver - Granola but not as much as Seattle, stoners
Salt Lake City - Mormon

Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
NYC: 24/7

Seattle: Haven't been.

Miami: Latina Americana

San Diego: Midwest on the beach

NOLA: Overrated.

LA: Laid back yet still fast paced

Philadelphia: Grey

Houston: Under the radar on purpose

Dallas: The embodiment of Texas

Austin: Austitude, the delusional belief of thinking your city is more than it is. The art of wearing rose tinted glasses that convince you the place is an unfathomable paradise. Still is my 11th favorite city though but the people are some of the most delusional on Earth. They think they're living in San Francisco junior. Hahaha what a laugh.

San Antonio: I love the under the radar city for Latins.

Chicago: The city of broad shoulders casts a massive shadow over much of America. Power, it's what I feel everytime I'm in Chicago. From a little kid all the way up to now.

Minneapolis: I haven't been to make judgment calls.

Pittsburgh: Another city I haven't been to before.

Charlotte: I haven't been there before either.

Tampa: Old people central & midwest on the beach part II

Orlando: Mickey & Minnie Mouse, the Shamu (Jesus how many seaworlds claim to have the real deal? I've been to the San Antonio, San Diego, & Orlando ones and every single freakin one of them claim that they have the original "Shamu". Jeeez, WHAT THE F.

San Francisco: Lovely Pacifico.

Atlanta: I went in 1999 but all I remember are the suburbs my cousins used to live in surrounded by trees & then went through it in 2010 summer on an eastern seaboard trip with friends but only got the chance to eat in Atlanta. I'm still pending on this because I still want to go back to see the city sometime in the near future.

DC: Half of my favorite cities in America & the other half is New York. Home. Liberal. Lovely. Professional. Fast "push comes to shove" paced. It's an amazing city.

Cleveland: Ehhh, I don't know. I haven't been but I'm trying to see all 50 states & major cities at some point before the next 5 years are up. So it's up there to see.

Detroit: The comeback kid. Also the most DREDD style city in America.

Denver: Denvah! Who cant love Denver? It's location near the Rockies cant be beat!

Salt Lake City: I haven't ever been but again it's on the list of places to see.

Las Vegas: I haven't been here either. It's at the top of my must visit list though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City