Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM

242 posts, read 355,455 times

Advertisements

When I say authentic, I mean the city with the least amount of transplants. Which city has the most natives. When I was in NYC and Philly, I met way more transplants in NYC than Philly.

It seems like the NYC transplants were posers trying to come off as native NYer's.

Philly or NYC: Most authentic East Coast City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 10:17 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,526 times
We all know this. Philly is the most authentic U.S city, throughout it's while history.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
New York has more transplants per capita and exports more natives than any other city. However, in sheer numbers there is more of everything in New York. More natives, more transplants, more immigrants.

I don't necessarily think it's a good thing for a city to have a low number of transplants. And while Philly certainly does have a lot compared to most cities in the country, it would seem in coming years, that number will grow (explode?).

I agree with Toure, though. Philly is the most authentic city in the US, both historically and presently. People talk about Manhattan's energy and Philadelphia's heart.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post

It seems like the NYC transplants were posers trying to come off as native NYer's.
How so?

To answer your question i'd still say NYC, just look outside Manhattan.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
NYC has more transplants and more natives than Philadelphia with both in much larger numbers.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM

123 posts, read 291,624 times
Philly has a smaller population so its easier to meet a native than in newyork. Even in Center City (downtown Philly for those who dont know) a place that attracts alot of diffrent people your more likely to meet a native than in Manhattan. But newyork has more people so it has more natives. So if you mean easier to meet a native its Philly. But more natives is Newyork. Both are authentic east coast cities. In fact in my opinion they are the best examples of east coast cities.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:13 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Philadelphia is at a major cultural crossroads, and the long-term fate of its classic authenticity is somewhat up in the air given its recent renaissance. But what exactly do we mean by authentic? Boston (and to a lesser, but still considerable extent, New York) have lost a lot of their classic flavor in the wake of their revitalizations. But both cities still enjoy distinctive identities (with distinctive neighborhoods), and they have in no way become a wholle sterile, personality-less, "generic East Coast" (however palatable) urban playground a la Washington D.C. As its upward progress continues, Philadelphia will invariably become more transient and less "homey." But I think (or at least hope) the city will manage to keep "cleaning up" without being "scrubbed down" to a fault. I think there's plenty of room to reconcile the two, and believe the steady, mounting, nationwide trend toward re-urbanization will make this a real possibility.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
When people move to NYC, do they try to portray themselves as a authentic New Yorkers? Also, do people that move to Philly do the same?

Old 11-18-2012, 04:42 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
When I say authentic, I mean the city with the least amount of transplants. Which city has the most natives. When I was in NYC and Philly, I met way more transplants in NYC than Philly.

Philly or NYC: Most authentic East Coast City.
I am not sure if I agree with the idea that having more natives necessarily makes an area more "authentic". And this is coming from a native New Yorker --- look at my screen name.

Authentic means something real. New York City is a real city, not a copy cat suburb for instance. But so is Philadelphia. And traditional cities like Boston, Baltimore, Charleston, Savannah, Providence, Wilmington etc.

Its hard to say one is more real than another.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/authentic

Old 11-18-2012, 04:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not sure if I agree with the idea that having more natives necessarily makes an area more "authentic". And this is coming from a native New Yorker --- look at my screen name.

Authentic means something real. New York City is a real city, not a copy cat suburb for instance. But so is Philadelphia. And traditional cities like Boston, Baltimore, Charleston, Savannah, Providence, Wilmington etc.

Its hard to say one is more real than another.

Authentic | Define Authentic at Dictionary.com

this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City