Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better sports area
Washington-Baltimore 33 56.90%
San Francisco Bay Area 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times

Advertisements

Here are two areas I feel that in the world of sports, aren't talked about as much as NYC, LA, Chicago, Boston, and even Dallas-Fort Worth, despite the fact that SF Bay and Washington-Baltimore have more teams than Chicago, Boston, and DFW. In fact, neither SF Bay nor Washington-Baltimore have their own ESPN pages, despite both areas having teams with LARGE bandwagon appeals.

These two areas both have multiple teams and represent a large chunk of their respective coasts, but yet are still relatively under the radar. I'd bring up the media market thing, but Baltimore and Washington are in different media markets, however I wouldn't doubt that people in both Baltimore and Washington cheer for each other's teams (considering both fall under the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network channel).

http://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/...re_Orioles.jpg

A few weeks ago, Sports Illustrated came out with an issue declaring Washington-Baltimore as "a new sports capital" because of the recent addition of RGIII to the Redskins, and the success of both the Orioles and Nationals, along with the continued success of the Ravens. Not to mention DC United being a major force in the MLS, and the Washington Capitals being a surprise contender for the NHL whenever it comes back on.

In terms of SF Bay, of course the SF Giants have recently won a WS, along with the 49ers being one of the major NFC contenders and one of the more favored teams to win the SB this year. The Oakland Athletics had a surprise year, having the 2nd best record in the AL. The Sharks and Earthquakes also have considerable support, and both are perennial playoff teams in their respective sports. However, the Raiders and Warriors are still the Raiders and the Warriors.

Here are the teams in consideration, at least for pro sports.

San Francisco Bay Area

San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders
San Francisco Giants
Oakland Athletics
Golden State Warriors
San Jose Sharks
San Jose Earthquakes

Washington-Baltimore

Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Washington Nationals
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Wizards
Washington Capitals
DC United

As for NCAA, I don't know anything about NCAA since I don't follow college sports, but you can discuss it as well.

Criteria:
Attendance:
Local Support:
Championships:
Anything else:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Despite sharing the same CSA, Baltimore and Washington are two distinct metro's, there is very little overlap in their sports fans. In fact, I would wager that most people in Baltimore could care less about DC teams. There are however many Orioles fans in DC since the Nationals are fairly new.

Saying Baltimore-Washington have more sports teams combined than Chicago, Boston, DFW, is about the same as saying Baltimore and Philly have more sports teams than them combined.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Despite sharing the same CSA, Baltimore and Washington are two distinct metro's, there is very little overlap in their sports fans. In fact, I would wager that most people in Baltimore could care less about DC teams. There are however many Orioles fans in DC since the Nationals are fairly new.

Saying Baltimore-Washington have more sports teams combined than Chicago, Boston, DFW, is about the same as saying Baltimore and Philly have more sports teams than them combined.
Yeah, from my understanding, the only sports team that really does transcend the MSA border are the Baltimore Orioles.

Plus, again, the overarching sports network in Baltimore and Washington is the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network. In some way, they are connected, even if its not as strong as obviously Chicago, Boston, and DFW fanbases.

In addition, both Washington and Baltimore teams are generally blacked out over the same exact areas. For example, refer to the below MLB blackout map

However, the same is also true for Houston and Dallas sports, and they're obviously not one metro or CSA.

The sports dynamic of that area is very interesting, to say the least.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
I didn't feel people in the Bay Area were "big" sports fans, at least nothing like my experience in Chicago or what I have seen on the East Coast, did not have that vibe at all. Now maybe in Oakland there is that presence, but I didn't feel that way in SF... not tons of sports bars, or even a sports vibe really. I just don't see SF as a rowdy die hard sports type of place, maybe Oakland can pull it through in terms of a fan base. Maybe it used to be.

I'd say it is more of a battle between Oakland and Baltimore.

As far as good teams and champions go, easily Bay Area though (might have been best in the country in the 80s/90s. 49ers were always my favorite team from growing up.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:59 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Yeah, from my understanding, the only sports team that really does transcend the MSA border are the Baltimore Orioles.

Plus, again, the overarching sports network in Baltimore and Washington is the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network. In some way, they are connected, even if its not as strong as obviously Chicago, Boston, and DFW fanbases.

In addition, both Washington and Baltimore teams are generally blacked out over the same exact areas. For example, refer to the below MLB blackout map
My observations of the DC sports scene is that it is improving, but definitely not one of the better sports towns in the country. The Redskins run this town for sure, even in the Spring, the talk here is on them, though that might change with the Nats becoming respectable. The Caps have a good following, but the 'Zards are an after thought to most.

Baltimore is a better sports town in my opinion, despite not having an NBA or NHL team (very few in Baltimore cheer for the Caps or "Zards).

Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
The DC area is loyal to the Redskins mainly. That's the big "cult" pro sports team everyone roots for. I've been to a Redskins game and it felt like a rock concert even though they lost. Some people root for the Orioles because of the history in Camden Yards. The other teams are sort of up and coming but still fun to watch.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
MLB: SF Bay Area
Orioles overall have better attendance than the A's but they also have a much nicer ballpark in a much better location but the A's have more overall success and under the right ownership have been a great ballclub with good attendance. The Giants have better attendance than the Nationals and more success overall, although that's not saying much, but the Nats are very new to DC.

NFL: Slight edge to SF Bay Area
Both Niners and Redskins have good fanbases but Niners have more success. Raiders have more history with Oakland than the Ravens with Baltimore and an annoyingly rabid fanbase.

NBA: SF Bay Area
Both teams are pretty pathetic when it comes to winning and making the playoffs but the Warriors have higher attendance, one of the best in the NBA, and a very loyal and passionate fanbase.

NHL: Tie, maybe edge to DC?
I don't really follow hockey so I can't say. I feel a lot of Sharks fans are fair weather. I have a feeling DC may be better for this.

Overall I'd probably say the SF Bay Area, DC seems to have a higher percentage of transplants which kind of brings down the level of passion and loyalty imo.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:23 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I didn't feel people in the Bay Area were "big" sports fans, at least nothing like my experience in Chicago or what I have seen on the East Coast, did not have that vibe at all. Now maybe in Oakland there is that presence, but I didn't feel that way in SF... not tons of sports bars, or even a sports vibe really. I just don't see SF as a rowdy die hard sports type of place, maybe Oakland can pull it through in terms of a fan base. Maybe it used to be.

I'd say it is more of a battle between Oakland and Baltimore.

As far as good teams and champions go, easily Bay Area though (might have been best in the country in the 80s/90s. 49ers were always my favorite team from growing up.
It's pretty much the Giants in SF and the Raiders in Oakland as far as rabid fandom goes. The other teams are popular, especially when they win, but only those two teams bring out passion on the level of an East Coast or Midwest city.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Rgiii!!!!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:33 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's pretty much the Giants in SF and the Raiders in Oakland as far as rabid fandom goes. The other teams are popular, especially when they win, but only those two teams bring out passion on the level of an East Coast or Midwest city.
Well I'm sure it's higher than a lot of cities, but having been to many Cubs and Yankees games (old stadium) in particular, I found the crowd in SF not as into it, nor was the vibe around the stadiums intense, nor is the general attitude or chit chat in the city very commonly about sports, where Chicago folks talk about the damn Bears and Cubs so much in daily conversations it is often annoying. Though of course SF has fielded better teams for the past 20 years and is a truly historic franchise, with one of the most awesome venues overlooking the Bay.
Exception of course might be this year b/c they are in the playoffs.
I know the Raiders fans are insane, don't want to go near that place around game time, it's a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City