Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM

50 posts, read 119,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Seattle winters are cool for sure. But they are not "bone chilling cold". Ask anyone on the east coast if they would trade 44 and drizzle for 0 and snow blowing sideways.

It's all relative.
We are not talking about the East Coast..we are talking about Seattle and Denver and yes it does get bone chilling cold in Seattle due to the dampness, dense ocean air/humidity and temps in the 30's or 40's...

It does not have to be in teens or 20's for one to feel this way when you are in a coastal state..the skies are cloudy or rainy/drizzly, the air is moist, dense and with temps in the 30's or 40's can be bone chilling again in coastal states such as Washington

But as you say..it's all relative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 11,911 times
Default Feels Warmer

I don't think you can really argue with him on this one? He said Seattle is much milder than Denver based on personal experience. He was explaining why he thinks it feels so much milder - but the fact remains he personally feels much milder spending winters in Seattle versus Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikadance View Post
Yes but this is in terms of how it feels on your skin so you can throw out the averages...Yes it does snow in Denver but what you are not factoring in is the abundant winter sunshine, high elevation and thinner atmosphere that can make 40 degrees feel like 50-55 degrees..There just isn't any major city that can compete with those characteristics.

Seattle is wet, cloudy and the air is much denser thus creating a cold to the bone feel and it has shorter days of winter light than Denver and Seattle gets its fair share of wind when those Pacific storms come crashing into the area..

Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,253,654 times
I lived in Seattle for 12 years and imo its winters were a piece of cake. The rain didn't make it feel any colder because the temps were usually in the 40s or even the 50s. When some of the cherry blossums, crocuses and daffodills blooom in January, its just not cold to me. The few times I've been to Denver in the winter time we went to a Broncos game. It was in the 20s and the wind was blowing so hard we left at halftime. Denver's winters are not unbearable, just too unpredictable, way too cold and snowy at times and surprisingly too brown.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I lived in Seattle for 12 years and imo its winters were a piece of cake. The rain didn't make it feel any colder because the temps were usually in the 40s or even the 50s. When some of the cherry blossums, crocuses and daffodills blooom in January, its just not cold to me. The few times I've been to Denver in the winter time we went to a Broncos game. It was in the 20s and the wind was blowing so hard we left at halftime. Denver's winters are not unbearable, just too unpredictable, way too cold and snowy at times and surprisingly too brown.
Are you talking about night time temperatures or what? And name a city that snows a lot that isn't brown in the winter...

Old 09-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Are you talking about night time temperatures or what? And name a city that snows a lot that isn't brown in the winter...
It was during the day. Brown, snows alot are two key reasons why I would take Seattle winters over Denver winters.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Denver gets colder more often, but also has more *Breaks* from the cold as well. You are seeings teens to 60s swings pretty often throughout the winter. In fact, my curiosity struck me... and I just compared the last 3 winters of both cities from Dec-Feb.

Denver had a total of 73 days in the 50s and 21 days in the 60s.

Seattle had a total of 69 days in the 50s but only 1 day in 3 years in the 60s.

Also, factor in 90% of the 50+ degree days in Seattle was raining. While in Denver, when it's warmer, it's sunnier. The 50s in SEattle are also often barely getting above it, like 51, 52...while many I counted for Denver were high 50s and sunny, along with the many 60 degree bright sunny days, many high 60s also.

There is your difference.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:44 PM

51 or 52° in Seattle feels great since the temperatures in Seattle are moderate and not as extreme. And just because you see rain during those 50° days doesn't mean it downpoured all day. People tend to over exaggerate Seattle weather. Is it really 9 months of rainy misery? Ya'll need to quit. Give me winters in Seattle. Denver winters aren't the worst. I just prefer Seattle's

Old 09-07-2013, 02:52 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,713,604 times
Quote:
It was during the day. Brown, snows alot are two key reasons why I would take Seattle winters over Denver winters.
Understandable. No snow is a key reason I'd take Denver winters over Seattle's rainny/gloomy/damp winters. To each their own.

Last edited by Mezter; 09-07-2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-07-2013, 03:01 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,456,135 times
Both cities are relative cake for winter. I love the winter blue skies in Denver/Boulder, and in fact a sunburn isn't uncommon. I think what would make me prefer Seattle isn't so much Winter but the transition to Spring, which in Denver was so unpredictable when I lived there it got frustrating. And springtime in Seattle is breathtaking. On those clear days it's to me the most beautiful city in the country.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
51 or 52° in Seattle feels great since the temperatures in Seattle are moderate and not as extreme. And just because you see rain during those 50° days doesn't mean it downpoured all day. People tend to over exaggerate Seattle weather. Is it really 9 months of rainy misery? Ya'll need to quit. Give me winters in Seattle. Denver winters aren't the worst. I just prefer Seattle's
They both have their pluses and minuses, you might get "used" to the more steady temps in Seattle more. Denver might be annoying going from warm to cold, or, it could also be awesome getting a few 65 degree sunny days in January.

For some the cloud cover of Seattle will get to them more, for others, the bitter cold days Denver gets will get to them more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City