Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Home of Black Musical Identity?
NYC 9 10.00%
Philadelphia 5 5.56%
Detroit 26 28.89%
Chicago 10 11.11%
LA 1 1.11%
New Orleans 19 21.11%
Atlanta 19 21.11%
San Francisco 1 1.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 PM

168 posts, read 354,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then you need to stop mentioning Cleveland--which did NOT start blues music. Memphis, however, is the home of the blues and the birthplace of rock n' roll and clearly deserves a spot on this poll.
Cleveland has a grand impact on Rock and Roll history. Hall of Fame, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 PM

37,929 posts, read 42,198,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfrrl View Post
Cleveland has a grand impact on Rock and Roll history. Hall of Fame, anyone?
Yes it did, but it didn't play a significant role in the genesis or cultivation of the genre itself. It's basically where the genre started to be popularized, but the roots of the genre itself are in Memphis and the Mississippi Delta region.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes it did, but it didn't play a significant role in the genesis or cultivation of the genre itself. It's basically where the genre started to be popularized, but the roots of the genre itself are in Memphis and the Mississippi Delta region.
I think that's a tad bit far south.. Maybe it developed in Missouri? According to my logic, sounds about right.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,865,607 times
When I think of the cities where my favorite music has consistently come out of, I think of cities in Ohio. Slave, The Dazz Band, The Deele (LA & Babyface), The Isley Brothers, Bootsy Collins, Roger and Zapp, Aurra, Heatwave, The Ohio Players, The O'jays and Levert, off the top of my head. As much as it is NOT talked about, Dayton, Cleveland, Canton, etc., are where some of the my favorite, arguably the BEST MUSIC, came out of the U.S.

Californian acts certainly expressed their love for the acts that came out of Ohio. For sure, Roger and Zapp are highly regarded by some Cali. acts. Cube sampled The Isley Bros. Footsteps in the Dark. Easy E, We want Easy was "sampled" from Bootsy's, Ahh.. The Name Is Bootsy, Baby. I distinctly recall hearing More Bounce while watching Boys in the Hood. I'm certain that you all can think of others examples of Cali. acts showing love for various Ohio funk/ soul bands.

Damn, L.A. One of my FAVORITE groups of all time came out of Compton: WAR. Four Corned Room, All Day Music, The Theme From Nappy Head, Ballero, The World is a Ghetto, etc.

Certainly one of the baddest, yet seemingly unknown cat, came out of L.A.: ROY AYERS. It disgusts me how relatively unknown this giant is. From Mystic Voyage, Love From the Sun, Gotta Find a Lover, Everybody Loves the Sunshine, The Third Eye, Keep Walking, to Liquid Love. Mr. Ayers is a colossal! I certainly can't deny L.A.'s musical influence on me and my era.

I certainly would not call Minneapolis the home of black music. However, it deserves a HUGE mention. Prince, The Time (Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis), The Family, Sheila E., Mint Condition, etc. The Minneapolis sound certainly helped to define that era. I was there.

I love the Motown Sound. However, that was before my time. Certainly, one of the reasons that I love the movie Cooley High so much is because of the soundtrack: A compilation of some of Motown's greatest hits.

The "music" coming out of Atlanta. Call me out of touch or whatever. However, it pains me to mention Waco Flako and TI in the same post as all of the greats that I've listed. However, attitudes have changed. I presume that this type of "music" is the flavor right now. I presume, because I don't listen to contemporary "music." However, this to will end. For the better or worse.

However, I still have a turntable, crates full of albums, CDs, and cassette tapes. I'm straight!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:04 AM

Cleveland has such an influence on music in general. It's a shame that it's often overlooked due to false stereotypes about the city. It really is one of the nicest cities in America. Definitely in my top 10. How about you guys? Give your top tens!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:08 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,577,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Certainly one of the baddest, yet seemingly unknown cat, came out of L.A.: ROY AYERS. It disgusts me how relatively unknown this giant is. From Mystic Voyage, Love From the Sun, Gotta Find a Lover, Everybody Loves the Sunshine, The Third Eye, Keep Walking, to Liquid Love. Mr. Ayers is a colossal! I certainly can't deny L.A.'s musical influence on me and my era.
Oh yeah, Roy Ayers for sure. When I used to DJ in college and play a lot of old jazz and funk, I'd always mix in some of that. And don't forget the Coffy Soundtrack. I'll be honest though, I guess I never realized he was from LA.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,198,812 times
Quote:
I think that's a tad bit far south.. Maybe it developed in Missouri? According to my logic, sounds about right.
You need to do your homework. Rock n' roll has its roots in blues, jazz, and Gospel--all of which originated among Blacks in the South.
The origins of rock and roll have been fiercely debated by commentators and historians of music. There is general agreement that it arose in the Southern United States – a region which would produce most of the major early rock and roll acts – through the meeting of various influences that embodied a merging of the African musical tradition with European instrumentation.

Rock and roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"According to my logic"....

Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,865,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Oh yeah, Roy Ayers for sure. When I used to DJ in college and play a lot of old jazz and funk, I'd always mix in some of that. And don't forget the Coffy Soundtrack. I'll be honest though, I guess I never realized he was from LA.
"Coffy is the color..." Are you kidding me? No sir! I have not forgotten! Whether or not he made his name in L.A., I don't know. Because of the song, We Live in Brooklyn, Baby, I presumed that he was from, Brooklyn. An L.A. cat quickly corrected me! Thanks brah!

You list Portland as your location. Did you know that the group Pleasure is from Portland?! Glide, Thoughts of Old Flames, Nothin To It, etc. My god those cats were bad!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 AM

20,536 posts, read 33,668,866 times
Quote:
Cleveland was one of the cities that started Blues music! We need to celebrate it more!
You maybe right if you're talking about Cleveland, Mississippi. The one in Ohio didn't start nada in Blues.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 AM

20,536 posts, read 33,668,866 times
Quote:
No. He's right. You can thank Memphis for a good portion of Rock N Roll. I know it's hard for some of you all to give credit to the South for anything. But on this subject, the Southern cities of Memphis and New Orleans hangs with the best of them. IMO, New Orleans wins this. But Memphis is a close 2nd. Now if you want to talk about production and business wise, maybe Detroit and NYC. Much of Black Detroit was nothing more than transplant Southerners anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City