Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 02:13 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,602 times

Advertisements

Toronto is about the same as Chicago in comparison. It's not on NYC's level but it's one of the greatest cities in the world imo. I lived in Toronto for many years before and loved every minute of it

Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I think Toronto and Chicago are roughly on the same tier. Neither are close to NYC, but I think To/Chi are pretty comparable.
Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. The first time I visited all three cities -- which happened in a span of a few weeks some years ago -- I felt quite a big gap going from Toronto to Chicago but actually not as big of a gap from Chicago to New York. Others may disagree but that was my impression. Realistically I think Chicago is somewhere close to the middle between Toronto and New York. But depends on what you are comparing of course. Since I spent most of my time in and around the CBDs, thats what I am comparing. And if you look at the stats on skyscrapers and employment density you will see that the numbers largely support my impression.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:18 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder. The first time I visited all three cities -- which happened in a span of a few weeks some years ago -- I felt a very big gap going from Toronto to Chicago but actually not as big of a gap from Chicago to New York. Others may disagree but that was my impression. Realistically I think Chicago is somewhere close to the middle between Toronto and New York. But depends on what you are comparing of course. Since I spent most of my time in and around the CBDs, thats what I am comparing. And if you look at the stats on skyscrapers and employment density you will see that the numbers largely support my impression.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. When I visit Toronto, it just seems smaller, similar in scope to Philadelphia and frankly, it feels a lot like Washington, DC. in feel. However, in certain areas Toronto does have a nice bustle, which I think can best be attributed to narrower streets (relative to Chicago) and the fact there are transit nodes. Small areas of high density scattered throughout the city. I love those areas.

Last edited by BigLake; 05-16-2012 at 02:43 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Well let me put it this way, if I was forced to leave NYC the only places on the continent left for me are Chicago, Toronto, and San Francisco (same order). I have very high standards and these are the only livable places for me. Ironically all 3 end in "o". Sure I can live a satisfying life in Boston or Dallas (or Montreal, LA, Houston, Philly, Miami) but I would never be happy in those places.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Toronto definitely leans more toward being on Chicago's level now than it does Philadelphia's. Five or ten years ago it may have been more comparable to Philly, but the amount of growth and change in just the last 5 years has been incredible. Looking at recent aerial views of the three cities shows that downtown Toronto now dwarfs Philly's Centre City and looks much more comparable to Chicago. Here's a recent aerial of Toronto:

Photo by thingsmelissamakes on Flickr

Old 05-16-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Toronto definitely leans more toward being on Chicago's level now than it does Philadelphia's. Five or ten years ago it may have been more comparable to Philly, but the amount of growth and change in just the last 5 years has been incredible. Looking at recent aerial views of the three cities shows that downtown Toronto now dwarfs Philly's Centre City and looks much more comparable to Chicago. Here's a recent aerial of Toronto:

I agree, anyone who claims Toronto is closer to Philly than it is to Chicago needs to be banned ASAP for their asinine remarks. For those who haven't been to Toronto I encourage seeing it, very worth it imo

Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:

I can see this. I'd put Toronto between Philadelphia and Chicago, but it's evolvng higher (oddly as is Philadelphia). Both strong cities, getting stronger.

Last edited by JMT; 05-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:

Nice pic Atticman. I would love to see a fair side-by-side comparison of Toronto and Chicago at the same scale. Where is Urbanologist when you need him?

Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM

252 posts, read 735,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I think Toronto and Chicago are roughly on the same tier. Neither are close to NYC, but I think To/Chi are pretty comparable.
I agree, Toronto and Chicago are on same tier.

Toronto is definitely well ahead of Philly LOL

Toronto's really on a roll, lots of construction going on.
They have a great mayor, Rob Ford, making sure
T.O. continues to keep getting better

As for vibe... every city has a unique vibe, hard to compare

Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philobeddoe View Post
I agree, Toronto and Chicago are on same tier.

Toronto is definitely well ahead of Philly LOL

Toronto's really on a roll, lots of construction going on.
They have a great mayor, Rob Ford, making sure
T.O. continues to keep getting better

As for vibe... every city has a unique vibe, hard to compare
chicago & toronto seem close

the only big cities outside nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City