Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There are plenty of corner stores in the Sac region, and they all do fairly well. I just don't see the allure of paying an extra 60 cents for a gallon of milk that is going to expire sooner than the cheaper milk at the grocery store. Nevermind the fact that the owner who rips people off, may or may not be here on a work visa. No thanks, I'll take my money else where.

No one in California wants to emulate Philly. Thanks anyways.
I personally hate that they insist on having a credit card minimum or a fee for buying under 10 bucks - isn't it illegal for the banks to charge for card use now?

Of course that doesn't stop me from going to them all the time anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd agree with NY, Chi, Philly, SF/Boston/Baltimore/DC as the leaders (among big cities). Like I said earlier, LA has a lot too but for some reason I too think of corner stores being more East Coast. For example, if you asked me to envision a corner store/corner market I would probably think of a streetscape like Brooklyn's.
I asked my my friend (a native Chicagoan) about this the other day when I first saw this thread. I asked her if she thought Chicago was a true cornerstore city. She said that the Chi has cornerstores, but not to the extent that you see them on the East Coast because the urban environment is not as compact. Granted, she's from the South Side, but that's what most black people in Chicago know (and the West Side, I suppose). She thinks that North Side neighborhoods like Lincoln Park are most comparable to areas of DC such as Woodley Park.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But they are basically everywhere. In fact throughout the whole city corner rowhomes often have a store, business, bar, restaurant underneath and they live on top
Some more.

Vincent's @ 65th and Lansdowne in West Philly. This is good pizza.

Philadelphia, PA - Google Maps

Or King's next to Overbrook HS in West. Very few people understand that water ice is not supposed to be that sweet. I hate Rita's. Blech!

Germantown.

North Philly.

Nicetown. Best steaks in Philadelphia. Forget all of that South Philly garbage.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
My idea of corner store Meccas are cities in which thery serve mostly as store fronts with residential property above. This type of mix use property is prevelant in the northeast and Chicago. Yes, I visit SF regularly but it doesn't exist like it does in those cities. That's just the way that they are set up.
ALOT of cities have places that function like that. Even Miami has alot of those places with residential units at the top.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM

422 posts, read 815,335 times
I agree with you. The NE corridor and obviously, Chicago, SF and LA function like that over larger areas. imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
ALOT of cities have places that function like that. Even Miami has alot of those places with residential units at the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City