Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
......And why shouldn't they be counted? If people spend money at the Atlanta tourist attractions and stay in the city's hotels, they are tourist whether you like it or not. Understand the definition of a tourist before posting B.S:

(tourist - definition of tourist by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.)
tourist [ˈtʊərɪst]
n 1. a. a person who travels for pleasure, usually sightseeing and staying in hotels
b. (as modifier) tourist attractions

2. a person on an excursion or sightseeing tour
Oh yes, thanks for the definition! After all it's not like I've never been to college. But thanks for talking down to me.

Again, a two hour layover in Hartsfield doesn't mean I'm sightseeing in Atlanta. Get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Yeah I don't think the train stations should be listed. It's like when people say Atlanta is one of the most visited cities in America...I say "well no f**king sh*t! it has the busiest airport in the world!". lol people passing through shouldn't count as tourists
I'm not sure, but I don't think people with layovers are counted as tourists. But even outside of that, Atlanta does get a lot of visitors every year from special events, attractions, nightlife, etc.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure, but I don't think people with layovers are counted as tourists. But even outside of that, Atlanta does get a lot of visitors every year from special events, attractions, nightlife, etc.

Atlanta is a very large convention city and has many well attended events. Also it is a very large regional draw not to mention to a fair amount of national tourism

Just look at the number of hotel rooms and you can easily see it is a well visited city

And yes, I am nearly certain connecting airport traffic is not included in these numbers.

Hartsfield has more passengers than any other airport but believe is 11th or something in terms of end passenger destination volume within the US

Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
We defined “tourist attractions” as cultural and historical sites, natural landmarks, and officially designated spaces. So Boston’s shop-filled Faneuil Hall Marketplace (est. 1742) made the cut, but not Minnesota’s Mall of America—with 40 million annual visitors it would otherwise have been number one. Short walkways and waterfront promenades also fit our definition of tourist attractions; that disqualified the Blue Ridge Parkway. We also excluded sights that draw almost exclusively religious pilgrims.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
THIS. YES finally someone else who gets it. D.C. is the biggest welfare place in the country
Exactly.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,057,553 times
This is the ****tiest methodology I've ever heard of. Inconsistent and frankly illogical.

"The Times Square Alliance was able to estimate that 80 percent of the 49 million tourists who visited New York in 2010 passed through Times Square."

"We defined “tourist attractions” as cultural and historical sites, natural landmarks, and officially designated spaces. So Boston’s shop-filled Faneuil Hall Marketplace (est. 1742) made the cut, but not Minnesota’s Mall of America—with 40 million annual visitors it would otherwise have been number one. Short walkways and waterfront promenades also fit our definition of tourist attractions; that disqualified the Blue Ridge Parkway. We also excluded sights that draw almost exclusively religious pilgrims."

So because people are predicted to have crossed through an intersection that happens to be a named place it takes the #1 spot. Crazy rankings, tricks are for kids.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times
Quote:
......And why shouldn't they be counted? If people spend money at the Atlanta tourist attractions and stay in the city's hotels, they are tourist whether you like it or not. Understand the definition of a tourist before posting B.S:

(tourist - definition of tourist by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.)
tourist [ˈtʊərɪst]
n 1. a. a person who travels for pleasure, usually sightseeing and staying in hotels

LOL!! Sorry but 73% of the passenger traffic flying in and out of Atlanta never step foot out of the airport. I guess the airport itself is a tourist destination?...NOT!!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:41 AM

401 posts, read 649,647 times
no european sites ? this list is not correct, I'm sorry but most touristy places are not in America
Times Square n°1 OK, but i don't agree with the rest

Old 05-12-2012, 07:55 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Quote:
We defined “tourist attractions” as cultural and historical sites, natural landmarks, and officially designated spaces. So Boston’s shop-filled Faneuil Hall Marketplace (est. 1742) made the cut, but not Minnesota’s Mall of America—with 40 million annual visitors it would otherwise have been number one. Short walkways and waterfront promenades also fit our definition of tourist attractions; that disqualified the Blue Ridge Parkway. We also excluded sights that draw almost exclusively religious pilgrims.
That right there is enough to disqualify this stupid list. The country's largest mall doesn't count as a tourist attraction because it's not a "cultural amenity" but Disneyland is??? If I go to Mall of America, I'm going to see a crowd that's probably half out-of-staters, and probably 25% in-staters-but-out-of-towners. If it quacks like a duck, it's a duck: that place is a tourist destination.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:16 AM

469 posts, read 970,107 times
Quote:

tourist [ˈtʊərɪst]

Exactly the point - millions of people funneling through a giant transportation facility to board another plane enroute to somewhere else are not visitors to the city lying outside the airport grounds even if they buy a hamburger or a souvenier while on the move inside the airport. These people are not staying in a local hotel or visiting a tourist attraction and have no intention of being in the city itself, they are just travelling unless they are in the smaller percentage which are Atlanta destination passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City