Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More international?
Houston 19 16.67%
Chicago 95 83.33%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is the 4th largest US city soon to replace Chicago as 3rd.

Houston has the 3rd largest/tallest US skyline after NYC & Chicago, respectively.

More than 90 languages are spoken throughout the Houston metropolitan area.

The worlds largest medical center is located in Houston. Heads of state, kings & queens have seeken medical treatment in Houston.

Houston is on a real coast & ocean.

Port of Houston is the busiest in the country for foreign tonage & 2nd domestically.

Largest theater district outside of NYC's Broadway is located in DT Houston.

There are some areas America's Space City can hold its own against the Windy City.
Dude houston has so much more land then chicago. Yeah i would hope houston does have a good population. Plus texas recently passed a law making all their cities bigger.Oh yeah i will never go on vacation to houston, since you guys are always trying to be like chicago and new york. And if your city is on an ocean or not does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 AM

484 posts, read 871,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Chicago, for now.
Second.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:52 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancalderon71 View Post
Dude houston has so much more land then chicago. Yeah i would hope houston does have a good population. Plus texas recently passed a law making all their cities bigger.Oh yeah i will never go on vacation to houston, since you guys are always trying to be like chicago and new york. And if your city is on an ocean or not does it really matter?
Yeah actually it does matter if you're a seafood lover such as myself.

Do you drive a Volkswagon, Audi, or BMW? If so guess where it went to by way of ship from Germany before it arrived in Chicago? HOUSTON

Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
I think the Gulf of Mexico is technically not considered in ocean like the Pacific or Atlantic. But obvioulsy it is connected to the ocean.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
I think the Gulf of Mexico is technically not considered in ocean like the Pacific or Atlantic. But obvioulsy it is connected to the ocean.
It has salt water, beaches, sharks, dolphins, & jellyfish so it must be an ocean.

The Great Lakes are fresh water wanna be oceans with no sea creatures & beaches that are only good for 3 months out of the year. Don't you guys bring out those palm trees then put them up during winter time? LMAO

Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 AM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
Quote:
It has salt water, beaches, sharks, dolphins, & jellyfish so it must be an ocean.

The Great Lakes are fresh water wanna be oceans with no sea creatures & beaches that are only good for 3 months out of the year. Don't you guys bring out those palm trees then put them up during winter time? LMAO
I know what the Gulf Coast has. I live along it.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:24 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:

eh, The Gulf of Mexico is a swimming hole next to the Pacific.

Just funnin

On the real though, I would imagine that the Port of Houston see's most of it's cargo from Europe/Africa in the form of container and oil. The Chicago area and along the shores of Lake Michigan from Duluth in the north all the way down probably is seeing alot more bulk cargo (grain,ore, coal, etc). The amount of freight train traffic that pours into Chicago isn't just for the city itself but for international exports.

Both cities have easy access to the Atlantic. From Houston through the Gulf around the southern tip of Florida. From Chicago through the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:49 AM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
I think Houston is being sold waaaaaaay short in this thread. However, as someone has noted, perception is reality for a lot of people. However, I'm glad there is at least a recognition that Houston is not some sleepy Texas town in a swamp, but rather an emerging international center.

Given the presence of the oil sector and the appeal to middle class Americans of all races, ethnicities, and creeds, I think that Houston is fast approaching the level of Chicago in this measure. Though as of now, it lacks the international name recognition that Chicago has, I think it won't be long until Houston really does make a name for itself out there.

However, until that reality becomes more set in, Chicago will take this one for now. But its nice to give credit where credit is definitely due!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:06 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Houston is an up and coming city, but lets not get carried away here about Houston surpassing Chicago right now. It still has 500k to go.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:34 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Houston is an up and coming city, but lets not get carried away here about Houston surpassing Chicago right now. It still has 500k to go.
At the rate Houston is growing I don't think it will be as long as some people think.

Chicago will always be the third through fifth city mentioned as far as international prominence goes.

Cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington DC are too well known in the societies of peoples from all over the world. IMO, a growing city just can't be gigantic alone to have "international prominence" to userp (NY, LA, SF, DC, Chicago). These names are too big and rich history is tied to every one of these "Big Five" cities. In order for Houston to gain "international notoriety" to attract foreign visiters they must be able to offer something for the visiter that is "exclusive" to Houston.

I will admit that Houston has the "Business side" of international notoriety already established, but is severely lacking on the tourism side compared to the other "Big Five" US cities and the majority of folks in the world that travel to see other countries/cities aren't concerned which one has the most Fortune 500 companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City