Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,192,238 times

Advertisements

I use the DecoBike system in Miami Beach as my everyday transportation and LOVE IT! I have also used the system in Paris for two weeks last Fall. That said, I cannot find a comprehensive list of US cities that have such programs. Does your city have a bike share program? Do you use it? Do you like it?
I am also interested in what sort of fee structure is used.

In Miami Beach, residents can subscribe monthly for $15. This subscription provides unlimited use of the system for 30 minute rides. The subscription can be upgraded in length of time but it's really not necessary for me. Nothing I do is really more than 15 minutes away by bike. Hourly rates are high for tourists but most don't seem to care. It's a novelty and a fun way to exercise, tour and get where you are going like a local. What is less known is that 30 day passes are available for visitors for $35. These passes allow access to the system in exactly the same way it's provided for residents. However, one must go to the DecoBike "store" on Washington Avenue for that card.

I'd love to hear about your bike share programs and stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:44 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,558,020 times
https://www.niceridemn.org/

Nice Ride Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
There is no limit to the number of trips allowed during a subscription period, and individual bike trips are free for the first 30 minutes. However, trip fees can rack up quickly—particularly after 90 minutes—reaching up to a daily limit of $65 after 7 hours of use (in addition to any subscription fee).[6] This fee structure is designed to encourage short trips, keep bikes available, and push customers desiring multi-hour trips to use for-profit rental businesses rather than the subsidized bike-share service. Only about 2% of trips incur any fees.
I haven't used the bikes myself, but I do see many people around my college campus using them for easy transportation. The system has undergone expansion from downtown Minneapolis over the last few years. There were issues early on with credit/debit cards being charged $250 as collateral until the bike was returned, but these charges have been reduced or dropped.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,172,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I use the DecoBike system in Miami Beach as my everyday transportation and LOVE IT! I have also used the system in Paris for two weeks last Fall. That said, I cannot find a comprehensive list of US cities that have such programs. Does your city have a bike share program? Do you use it? Do you like it?
I am also interested in what sort of fee structure is used.

In Miami Beach, residents can subscribe monthly for $15. This subscription provides unlimited use of the system for 30 minute rides. The subscription can be upgraded in length of time but it's really not necessary for me. Nothing I do is really more than 15 minutes away by bike. Hourly rates are high for tourists but most don't seem to care. It's a novelty and a fun way to exercise, tour and get where you are going like a local. What is less known is that 30 day passes are available for visitors for $35. These passes allow access to the system in exactly the same way it's provided for residents. However, one must go to the DecoBike "store" on Washington Avenue for that card.

I'd love to hear about your bike share programs and stories!
This is a great thread, but does it really belong in city vs. city?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:27 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,268,947 times
DC has Capitol Bikeshare and I too enjoyed using DecoBike when in Miami Beach.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Montreal has a system that is catching on in major cities around the world..

BIXI Montreal Public Bike System - Guide to Using Public Bikes in Montreal, Velo Libre

Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,582,777 times
Extremely popular in DC. Houston is starting one on Wednesday, I believe.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,720,116 times
NYC is rolling it out in stages this year.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,191,837 times
Omaha's is in it's 2nd year. Only 5 stations though throughout University of Nebraska-Omaha and the nearby mixed use development. No public funds as well, mostly funded by Blue Cross & Blue Shield.

Promises of expansion, but no hard commitments yet.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:06 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,227,066 times
Chicago is currently implementing 3,000 bikes at 300 stations, followed by another 1,000 bikes at 100 stations in 2013. The city loves biking, mostly due to the fact it's flat and has an easy grid layout.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,192,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Omaha's is in it's 2nd year. Only 5 stations though throughout University of Nebraska-Omaha and the nearby mixed use development. No public funds as well, mostly funded by Blue Cross & Blue Shield.

Promises of expansion, but no hard commitments yet.
Miami Beach's program is a public/private venture. I think that's probably the best model.
During the last Boat Show in February, DecoBike set up one temporary station across the Bay in Miami that was accessed from the Venetian Causeway to the Marina on the other side. I wish they'd make it permanent because it would connect SouthBeach to Miami's public transportation by another means other than a bus. I would love to be able to bike to other side of the bay and take the People Mover to the Metrorail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City