Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:02 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times

Advertisements

^ Agreed. Boulevard brews some great beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I vote my own city! Thats actually a big thing here in Metro Detroit
I'll be in Detroit next month. Staying downtown. Any brew pubs I should check out?

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
I'm not sure how Seattle is not ranked higher. It has tons of great local micro-breweries and a few well-known regionally/nationally distributed ones. And the beer culture is huge in Seattle - even random neighborhood bars will have a dozen local brews on tap.

Seattle ranks up there with Portland and Denver/Boulder in the top three. Having lived in SF, SD, and Chicago, I can say with certainty Seattle has better/more breweries than those cities and a better beer culture.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
I'm not sure how Seattle is not ranked higher. It has tons of great local micro-breweries and a few well-known regionally/nationally distributed ones. And the beer culture is huge in Seattle - even random neighborhood bars will have a dozen local brews on tap.

Seattle ranks up there with Portland and Denver/Boulder in the top three. Having lived in SF, SD, and Chicago, I can say with certainty Seattle has better/more breweries than those cities and a better beer culture.
I think a lot of people are very quick to associate the Pac. NW with microbrewing, but indeed there are a lot of microbrewing "hotspots" outside of that region -- and many go under the radar -- especially in big cities. In terms of smaller cities, Asheville, NC is a great example of this.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Asheville, NC is a great example of this.
Agreed, Asheville has some good beer. So does Philly, NYC, Boston, and a lot of other cities.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
KC (as usual) it getting totally overlooked here. They have some great local beer and KC's Boulevard Beer has a huge footprint in the midwest. I wish it was available in the mid atlantic.
Hey, I gave Boulevard a shout-out and I'm not even from anywhere near KC. They always have a beer choice at the annual Oregon Brewers Festival. I like their Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale--really good Belgian style beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't have a lot of experience with the local beers of the Midwest outside of the mass-produced macrobrews(Boulevard Brewing in Kansas City is a good one though)...

Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
Atlanta may not be (yet) among the top in number, but recent law changes in Georgia have microbreweries popping up all over the state. I agree with many posters that Colorado contains some great beers, and Kid Philly hit a home run with Victory's Hop Devil. But I find that the best balanced I.P.A. that I have ever had comes from Sweetwater, right here at home. Try it if you are ever in the south, as they don't pasteurize, and don't export too far.

Terrapin is an Athens brew that makes a great Rye Pale Ale, and their Hopsecutioner I.P.A. is pretty good as well.

Atlanta Brewing Companies "Hoplanta" is another to try.

Overall, I'm an American I.P.A. lover, and the ones that have developed around Atlanta are very, very good, and probably similar to the Colorado style.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Atlanta may not be (yet) among the top in number, but recent law changes in Georgia have microbreweries popping up all over the state. I agree with many posters that Colorado contains some great beers, and Kid Philly hit a home run with Victory's Hop Devil. But I find that the best balanced I.P.A. that I have ever had comes from Sweetwater, right here at home. Try it if you are ever in the south, as they don't pasteurize, and don't export too far.

Terrapin is an Athens brew that makes a great Rye Pale Ale, and their Hopsecutioner I.P.A. is pretty good as well.

Overall, I'm an American I.P.A. lover, and the ones that have developed around Atlanta are very, very good, and probably similar to the Colorado style.
This I can most definately agree with; the great american IPAs have me excited to drink beer again

Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post

That's really the key. I think most cities these days have enthusiastic beer nerds wanting to brew craft beer, but city restrictions can make it tough. I'm glad to hear ATL is loosening up; just read an article that the same thing is happening in Dallas.

The City of Dallas Hearts Microbreweries, Maybe - Brew News - Eater Dallas

Brewpubs are exploding, too...Black Star Co-op in Austin and the TRiNiTY Brewery in Colorado Springs are a couple of my favorites.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times
Reading this thread has got me on a microbrewery research kick. Found out about a big Beer Fest in Dallas this Saturday, so I'll know what I'll be doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City