Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Region with most diverse culinary options
Northeast 15 26.32%
Midwest 4 7.02%
South 13 22.81%
West 25 43.86%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:43 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times

Advertisements

I could agree that NYC would beat any other city for diversity of food. But to say one region of the US beats another region is very questionable to me except perhaps if you broke it down to have a Rocky Mountains region which would be at a serious disadvantage. But there's going to be just as many food options in the West as there is in the Southeast as there is in the Northeast.

And as for Quebecoise cuisine - South Florida, Dallas, Houston, Oakland, San Francisco, Chicago....

see thats my point. NYC is 100% the most diverse food city in the nation but regions are so large then even if you can't get something in say Miami you can certainly find it in Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Austin, so on.... if you can't find the food in Seattle you can certainly find it in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland, Napa Valley, so on....

with few exceptions and those that are so small to actually only exist in one region of the country there's enough of that the Northeast won't have every single tiny cuisine that the West Coast or the South has. The only real disadvantaged is the Midwest because it doesn't share an intercontinental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 04:03 PM

637 posts, read 1,014,661 times
That's cool! However, how many of those restaurants exist in SF, given how small the Puerto Rican population is there? And how about the quality there?

Quote:
That's not really magic; that's a food court!

Which actually is a pretty apt title... America's Food Court! Little bit o'everything. Not the best by any stretch, but, it'll hit the spot!
It could be, but I'd assume that the quality of the average restaurant in NYC is a LOT higher than that of some suburban food court. NYC is at least top 5 in almost any cuisine one could possibly think of (not all, but most major ones)

Quote:
Sort of like CA with the Caribbean...
Well, there are more than 30 million people who live in the Caribbean, compared to maybe 5 million in all the Pacific Islands. There are maybe only 200,000 Pacific Islanders in California compared to the millions from the Caribbean in the Northeast. Not like comparisons at all.

Quote:
At the end of the day, I think a lot of it has to do with what sort of cuisines are your favorite.
Agreed

Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Foodie 215 View Post
But there is at LEAST one good restaurant in each of those categories that matches up with what you can find elsewhere. However, if there is a complete lack of that option, for example finding a good Puerto Rican restaurant in the Bay Area, then that's telling.
It's called Sol Food in San Rafael. It's widely considered the best Puerto Rican restaurant in California.

Quote:
That's the magic of NYC, it doesn't NEED to have the best of every category but as long as it has a few good places that can match up, it wins in my book and a whole lot of other foodies book.
Yes, we're all aware NYC is #1 in that category. #2 is what's being debated.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Yes, we're all aware NYC is #1 in that category. #2 is what's being debated.
Could have sworn what was being debated was "Region with most diverse culinary options"

I think you meant that for the other thread.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:10 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Could have sworn what was being debated was "Region with most diverse culinary options"

I think you meant that for the other thread.

No, I meant that for this one. NYC has the most diverse cuisine options by virtue of having the most diverse array of ethnic groups. You can find just about any kind of food on the planet in NYC.

Now, if you were asking which US region executes well on the greatest variety of cuisine options, that's a different story. IMO, the local cuisine in New Orleans for example blows the local cuisine of just about any other US city out of the water. Everything is subjective though... this question does not have a clear answer.

And while NYC might have everything under the sun, it doesn't do everything well. I've seen your responses in other threads concerning NYC and Mexican/Chinese/etc... frankly, if you're going to discard the input of others then why are you asking? Case in point was when you were talking about that there should be no reason why Mexican food is better in California than in NYC... you ignore the reasons given and stick to your narrative that NYC isn't being given a fair shake.

While the idea behind a thread like this is interesting in itself, your agenda makes this conversation a lot less interesting and a lot more annoying. Take your agenda against the Bay Area for example... from past posts it's clear that you haven't spent enough time here to know the culinary scene in the Bay well. I have no problem with that. The problems come from your constant attempts to discredit the Bay when you really don't know enough about it to make sweeping generalizations. For example, take the comment I just responded to:

Quote:
But there is at LEAST one good restaurant in each of those categories that matches up with what you can find elsewhere. However, if there is a complete lack of that option, for example finding a good Puerto Rican restaurant in the Bay Area, then that's telling.
While it's true that Puerto Ricans are not in the Bay Area in big numbers, it is false that there are no good Puerto Rican restaurants here. The way you phrase it is telling of your agenda... you stated that as if you knew it to be true when in fact it's not. You did the same thing when you stated that SF is not comparable to NYC on Chinese food because Chinatown is the main place where most people get Chinese food in SF (lol) as if you knew that to factually be the case.

When you drop the agenda, these threads won't devolve into flame wars.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
No, I meant that for this one. NYC has the most diverse cuisine options by virtue of having the most diverse array of ethnic groups. You can find just about any kind of food on the planet in NYC.
Thank you, that's the bottom line. The thread was asking "US region with diverse cuisine options" Before you started personally attacking my opinions (which violates City Data's TOS), you could at least answer the question.

Quote:
And while NYC might have everything under the sun, it doesn't do everything well.
Do you have proof of that? As in, list of restaurants that are bad for each cuisine? Or are you just going by stereotypes?

Quote:
I've seen your responses in other threads concerning NYC and Mexican/Chinese/etc... frankly, if you're going to discard the input of others then why are you asking? Case in point was when you were talking about that there should be no reason why Mexican food is better in California than in NYC... you ignore the reasons given and stick to your narrative that NYC isn't being given a fair shake.
You aren't giving NYC a fair shake, and so are a lot of other posters by making really blind, over the top hyperbolic statements about how ALL ______ restaurants in NYC suck or how NYC will never compare to ______ in a category. Or how Philadelphia will never compare to ______ because of some arbitrary reason.

Quote:
While the idea behind a thread like this is interesting in itself, your agenda makes this conversation a lot less interesting and a lot more annoying.
Where have in any of my posts have I been as insulting as you have toward me? I never attacked any poster for their views, but merely questioned why people are set on thinking a certain way when the contrary has been proven?

Quote:
The problems come from your constant attempts to discredit the Bay when you really don't know enough about it to make sweeping generalizations.
Sounds a lot like a whole group of posters from one region of the country attacking NYC's Chinese, Korean, Mexican, Indian, etc. food without having fully experienced NYC's whole culinary scene.

Just know that whenever you point at someone, four fingers point right back at you.

Quote:
When you drop the agenda, these threads won't devolve into flame wars.
You should consider following your own advice.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Do you have any recent source to support this claim?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Do you have any recent source to support this claim?
I think almost everyone in the world knows that New York City is the most diverse 300 square miles ever conceived of on the planet.

From Congolese to Ghanian to Central Asian to Polynesian/Hawaiian to Native American to Haitian to Uruguayan to Italian to Russian.

NYC may not have every single culture represented, but you are going to find no other city that comes even close to that. It's not even a hyperbole anymore: its real life.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
I think almost everyone in the world knows that New York City is the most diverse 300 square miles ever conceived of on the planet.

From Congolese to Ghanian to Central Asian to Polynesian/Hawaiian to Native American to Haitian to Uruguayan to Italian to Russian.

NYC may not have every single culture represented, but you are going to find no other city that comes even close to that. It's not even a hyperbole anymore: its real life.
A simple "no" would suffice.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Well that's really interesting because a recent study - as in released this month - shows Houston, TX as having passed NYC and LA to claim that title. I do have a source:
http://kinder.rice.edu/uploadedFiles...rse%202-13.pdf

And before that there are studies that say NYC and studies that say Los Angeles. Ironically if you go by most foreign born as opposed to most diverse its none of those because that title goes to Miami, FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City