Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Western metro with most impact on African American culture? (outside LA/SF)
Phoenix 2 4.00%
Las Vegas 11 22.00%
Seattle 4 8.00%
Sacramento 16 32.00%
San Diego 2 4.00%
Denver 15 30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
And you've never been here.

Yet I don't need to go there to point out the things you've copied from us.
Nope, I've never been to Philly. You can bookmark that exact quote for the next I completely lose my bowel control and go on an inane tirade about that city. Thing is, I won't. I've never expressed any personal opinion of the place. Because I don't care.

Now, why do you care so much about a place with which you have zero first-hand experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Denver, Seattle and Sacramento all had or currently have a black mayor. Seattle was the first out of the crew in 1989 and Denver followed in 1991. Denver and Sacramento currently have one in office. Denver adopted MLK day as a holiday long before the government. The 10% black population is small in Denver but larger than the pct in San Francisco, Seattle and Phoenix by at least 4%; while being relatively the same as Vegas. The difference in Denver, SF and Vegas in terms of "seeing blacks" is black people visit DZf and Vegas. They rarely travel to Denver.
Are you joking? The Bay area has nearly 500,000 African Americans on the whole, which is 7% of the total (a higher percentage than the Denver metro).Not to mention, the Bay Area has cities like Oakland (nearly 30% of the total population) and several others where Black culture is paramount. Oakland itself has nearly twice as many Black people than the city of Denver, and it borders San Francisco.

Plus, so much Black history has come out of the Bay Area - the Black Panthers, tons of hip-hop, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Denver is ranking high on this poll. Why is that? I always thought of a confluence of white Midwesterners, Northeasterners, and Californians and a sizable Hispanic contingent.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,236,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
cali pizza is a flatbread w/sauce and cheese
So is NY style pizza. That's basically what pizza is, except for deep-dish.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 AM

38 posts, read 76,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Denver, Seattle and Sacramento all had or currently have a black mayor. Seattle was the first out of the crew in 1989 and Denver followed in 1991. Denver and Sacramento currently have one in office. Denver adopted MLK day as a holiday long before the government. The 10% black population is small in Denver but larger than the pct in San Francisco, Seattle and Phoenix by at least 4%; while being relatively the same as Vegas. The difference in Denver, SF and Vegas in terms of "seeing blacks" is black people visit SF and Vegas. They rarely travel to Denver.
Are you joking? The Bay area has nearly 500,000 African Americans on the whole, which is 7% of the total (a higher percentage than the Denver metro).Not to mention, the Bay Area has cities like Oakland (nearly 30% of the total population) and several others where Black culture is paramount. Oakland itself has nearly twice as many Black people than the city of Denver, and it borders San Francisco.

Plus, so much Black history has come out of the Bay Area - the Black Panthers, tons of hip-hop, etc.
This has to be one of the dumbest comments I've EVER read on this forum and that's saying a lot. My man, YOU DO REALIZE that you just proved 75 South's point, right? Oakland is not San Fransisco. African Americans are 30% of Oakland's population but that means, assuming because of their proximity, they visit San Fran correct??? I completely agree with 75, Black people are going to visit San Fran from Oakland, surrounding cities and abroad rather than visit Denver hence black people being more visible in SF. In actuality, San Fran's actual city proper African American population is 6.1% while Denver's is 10.2% (fairly comparable, if not a Denver edge, when you take out the black commuters and tourist that DON'T live within San Fransisco proper).

Also, you can't even start comparing San Fransisco Bay Area statistics to Denver metro statistics, are you serious? The San Fransisco Bay Area consists of 3 major cities in San Jose, San Fran and Oakland while Denver's metro consists of only 1 major city, Denver. Considering the Bay Area's population is 7.15 million, 500,000 African Americans total doesn't provide much to the overall black influence and black diversity of the region.

Not saying that Denver has a more vibrant African American culture than SF (because it doesn't) but your logic is FLAWED.

Side note: Why are gangs, Black Panthers and Hip Hop the only examples of Black culture being brought up in this thread? Is that really all that you guys think African Americans have provided to American culture? I'm quite appalled and offended.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:08 AM

520 posts, read 730,955 times
I think another thing to consider though, is that Denver is in the Mountain West and Seattle is in the Northwest. All the other cities are without a doubt Western cities, with either close proximity to LA or the Bay Area. Alot of black people have migrated from LA to Phoenix and LV, while a lot of blacks that have left the Bay Area only migrated over to Sacramento. Here are racial stats for just the city propers, and not the metros.
US2010 (Denver-64,607 10.8%)
US2010 (Las Vegas-69,157 11.8%)
US2010 (Phoenix-98,091 6.8%)
US2010 (Sacramento-74,051 15.9%)
US2010 (San Diego-94,818 7.2%)
US2010 (Seattle-55,325 9.1%)

Also, the city of Aurora borders Denver and actually has a higher percentage of black people than the city of Denver.
US2010 (Aurora-55,188 17%)

Las Vegas has the suburb of North Las Vegas.
US2010 (North Las Vegas-45,197 20.8%)

Seattle has Tacoma. Also has smaller places with fairly big black populations like Renton, SeaTac, Tukwila, Lakewood, ect ect.
US2010 (Tacoma-27,877 14%)

Phoenix, San Diego, and Sacramento also have suburbs that have pretty big black populations, but not like what Denver has. Aurora is a city of well over 300,000 people, and as I showed with stats earlier has a black population percentage of 17%. So yea I'll go Denver, with Seattle as a close second.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Those links prove that the schools are diverse, not that they're necessarily integrated. Integration entails there being little to no racial tension and that there's no stigma attached to interracial dating or having a diverse group of friends. If a school is diverse on paper but an all out race war during lunch hour, it's not integrated.

Note that I'm not saying the schools you named are like that, I'm saying that diversity and integration don't always go hand in hand.

I disagree, all you have to do is look at the rate of interracial marriage, and the birth of multiracial children to see how much more diverse some of these places are. 1 in 5 marriages in the western states are now interracial. The highest in the entire nation.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:00 PM

51 posts, read 101,748 times
memphis.....

Old 03-18-2012, 07:00 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Not sure about the other towns, but Sacramento has a large black middle/upper-middle class population, and Seattle has a historically vibrant black community in its Central District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City