Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 PM

422 posts, read 815,285 times

Advertisements

Out of Miami and Boston,

Which city is:

1. More integrated in terms of population?

2. Has a better public school system?

3. Has a more reasonable cost of living?

4. Has more to do?

5. Has high-paying jobs?

6. Best place to raise a family?

7. Easier to get around?

8. Provides the most cultural lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Out of Miami and Boston,

Which city is:

1. More integrated in terms of population?

2. Has a better public school system?

3. Has a more reasonable cost of living?

4. Has more to do?

5. Has high-paying jobs?

6. Best place to raise a family?

7. Easier to get around?

8. Provides the most cultural lifestyle?

It's quite obvious Boston being older and better planning is more stable than Miami in just about every category except 4 and 8. So why the comparison?

Still chose Miami though .

Weather as an important factor to me decides this alone.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
It's quite obvious Boston being older and better planning is more stable than Miami in just about every category except 4 and 8. So why the comparison?

Still chose Miami though .

Weather as an important factor to me decides this alone.
Well if there is one thing Boston isn't, that would be a well planned city.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 AM

10,744 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Well if there is one thing Boston isn't, that would be a well planned city.
aint that the truth.

This match is beyond apples and oranges, they are as different as papayas and cranberries.

1. More integrated in terms of population? Hard to say, they both have challenges when it comes to integration.

2. Has a better public school system? Boston is the obvious answer here.

3. Has a more reasonable cost of living? Miami may seem like a default answer though when discussing career opportunities and income potential then Boston wins out overall.

4. Has more to do? largely depends on what one likes to do. For a 21 year old party girl that likes the beach Miami is the obvious answer. For the 21 year intellectual college student Boston would be far more stimulating.

5. Has high-paying jobs? duh! Boston.

6. Best place to raise a family? far too subjective of a question for any city. Everybody has different ideals when it comes to family life.

7. Easier to get around? Driving - Miami, better layout (though the drivers in both cities are equally agressive), walking and public transportation Boston.

8. Provides the most cultural lifestyle? No winning contested answer, they both offer a plethora of cultural elements.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-24-2012 at 05:54 AM..

Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
aint that the truth.

This match is beyond apples and oranges, they are as different as papayas and cranberries.
Good analogy. Or Maybe, Cocoanuts and cranberries?

Babes in bikinis or fresh faced freshmen girls in turtlenecks.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:34 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Apples & oranges indeed. Talk about 2 very different cities that in many respects are polar opposites of one another.

I don't know which I'd choose or where to begin even comparing them. Definitely 2 of the more interesting and non-confirmst US cities though.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Boston

Old 02-24-2012, 07:10 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
7. Easier to get around? Driving - Miami, better layout (though the drivers in both cities are equally agressive), walking and public transportation Boston.
I've heard that Miami's traffic can be absolutely crippling to be honest. It may be a draw when it comes to driving.

Overall this is a tough competition for Miami to win. It's a very interesting and diverse city...but it's a city without much industry outside of tourism (yes I know there are many international headquarters, but its economic power is lacking greatly). This results in a poor public system (which unfortunately is pretty much throughout the entire state of Florida) and--due to the desirable location of Miami--an incredibly high cost of living. Boston has a very high COL, but it also provides a pay scale to supplement it. Miami doesn't.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:42 AM

504 posts, read 615,674 times
1. Most integrated: Neither city is really integrated and speaking from experience each neighborhood of Boston has a different racial group
2. Better Public school system:In 2006 Boston was named the best city school district in the nation and won the Broad
3. Cost of Living: Miami overall cheaper haousing but if you take into account hte higher average for wages earned in Boston it is not much cheaper
4. More to do: Miami is better if you want to go to beaches, both cities have good clubs. In Boston you can go see the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins and it is a short ride out to Framingham to see the Patriots.
5.Higher paying jobs: Boston is the clear winner
6.Best Place to raise a family: Depends on what lifestyle you want but Boston has much better schools. Thsi seems to be an opinion question but i would say Boston
7. Easier to get around: Miami is better if you wnat to drive, Boston has a better public transit system
8. Most Cultural: Boston because it is the birthplace of our nation, has many museuems, many colleges and universities, many librarys, theatres, historicall neighborhoods, and many TV stations, radio stations, newspapers such as the Boston Globe

Personally I like Boston better.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
1. More integrated in terms of population? Tie. Both could blend a little better.

2. Has a better public school system? Boston. Not even really close.

3. Has a more reasonable cost of living? Maimi is cheaper.

4. Has more to do? Way too vague of a question. Tie. Depends on what you like. Miami has better beaches (usable year-round), a different (trendier) nightlife scene, and a bit of a S. American/Caribbean flavor in terms of food. Miami is better for fishing and diving and most aquatic recreation. Boston has better seafood (yes, I said it... I think warm water seafood is, in general, not as tasty. Stone Crabs are delicious though) and actually does have a great Caribbean food. European cuisine is no contest (French, Italian, Portuguese, etc) Boston is better. Boston has a better pub scene. I'd argue that even though the season is short, sailing is more pleasant in Boston. Skiing, hiking, etc. are all better in the Boston area.

5. Has high-paying jobs? Boston is more economically diverse and has more higher yield fields.

6. Best place to raise a family? Probably Boston. Less violent, better schools and higher paying jobs.

7. Easier to get around? By car? Miami by a mile. Although the drivers are bad in both cities. By public transit, Boston by a mile.

8. Provides the most cultural lifestyle? No idea what the OP means by this. In terms of colleges, museums, history, etc. Boston has a colonial charm that's really hard to find on the same scale anywhere else. It's obviously Boston. Due to the Spanish-speaking influence in Miami, it feels a little more "ethnic" than Boston. Tie, I guess. It's too broad of a question.

This one is impossible to not have some sort of bias. These two cities are about as different as they come. For full disclosure, I consider Miami to be one of my least favorite cities in the US by a large margin. Boston, on the other hand, is one of my favorite (obviously). My POV is certainly skewed on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City