Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 AM

6,725 posts, read 6,724,376 times

Advertisements

Charlotte. Can barely finish this post without falling asleep just thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:48 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Two places that stand out to me are Phoenix and Dallas...just not for me. I don't like how far away they are from water, and from a developmental standpoint they seem extremely generic. Houston is similar to me, but it's near the ocean, which is nice.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Does it seem this thread was designed to pick on Florida?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:58 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
I would never rule out any place that I have not ever visited, but the places I would not want to permanently hang my hat are Las Vegas and Albuquerque.

Vegas is cheap and tacky. Plus it is too hot for me.

Albuquerque is better than Vegas, and climate wise it's more tolerable for me. Good food. It's not that I have something against the place, it's more that I just enjoy passing through but would not want to live there full time.

Phoenix is another one. I'm married with two kids and a third on the way, so suburban life style does not bother me in the least bit. But temperatures over 100 every day all summer long does! Phoenix is a nice enough area for me, it's just too hot!

Old 12-18-2011, 11:01 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
The only city in the U.S. that I want to live in is New York City. Unfortunately I could never afford to live there.

Madonna - I Love New York (Audio) - YouTube

Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 AM

515 posts, read 986,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYoMa69 View Post
I for one could never live in Florida. I know its population has exploded over the last 50 years, but as an urbanite, there is nowhere in the State that appeals to me. The closest thing you can get to a truly urban experience there is probably Miami Beach, but even that has urbanity that is really just a couple of shopping streets dominated by chains and tourists. Dont get me wrong, I like visiting Florida, especially Key West (been there twice). But to live. Thanks, but no thanks.
I'm sure the over 18 million Floridians would disagree with your distaste with Florida. I can't imagine you living anywhere other than Toronto, it sounds like its the only place in the world that is suitable to you. Your response to this thread should have just been "anywhere outside Toronto".

Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I would never rule out any place that I have not ever visited, but the places I would not want to permanently hang my hat are Las Vegas and Albuquerque.

Vegas is cheap and tacky. Plus it is too hot for me.

Albuquerque is better than Vegas, and climate wise it's more tolerable for me. Good food. It's not that I have something against the place, it's more that I just enjoy passing through but would not want to live there full time.

Phoenix is another one. I'm married with two kids and a third on the way, so suburban life style does not bother me in the least bit. But temperatures over 100 every day all summer long does! Phoenix is a nice enough area for me, it's just too hot!
Im with you on the heat thing.

That's the only real deal breaker for me when it comes to Vegas. I can deal with the tackiness and fakeness and I even like suburban living A LOT, but the heat just irks the hell outta me.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
I really want to check out Phoenix. I love LA too but PHX is so cheap. I love the man made concrete look of it. Others mentioned the heat being a deal breaker, and if you're from California I can understand. But from where I'm coming from, central Florida, it sounds better. It's almost the end of December and I still have to run my AC at night here. Out there it will be in the 40's tonight. And no mosquitoes either. Overall, there will be more nights I can sleep with the windows open there.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Austin. Or really anywhere out in the southwest other than LA. I am totally not a desert person. Visit, maybe. Not live.
This is the perhaps the third or fourth time i have heard you establish Texas as a Southwestern state, as well as its cities.

Austin is not a Southwestern city by any measure. It isn't in the desert, and has almost zero cultural ties to that portion of the country.

The only cities in Texas that can be said to be "southwestern" are El Paso and Maybe Midland-Odessa. Thats pretty much it.

The Desert region in Texas is sparsly populated, and 80% of the population lives in the Texas Triangle which is in the east of the state...and is roughly the size of georgia in size...and Florida in population.

Austin is located in the Hill Country, a portion of the state that is filled with rugged hills, spring fed rivers, and dominated by Cedar and Oaks. Its beautiful.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I laugh when people say that too, it's all just stereotyping.
And Austin's the state capital for crying out loud, there's Texas symbolism all over the place and plenty of hard-core Texans, particularly in the outskirts.
Its because they picture this as Texas in terms of Geography:
http://www.westerntexasrealty.com/We...exas_Pic_7.jpg

And they picture Texans to be these absurdly rude, proud, and ultra liberal hating conservatives.

When really, Texans are some of the most friendly, compassionate , and loyal people you will ever meet. Yes the state is dominated by perhaps the redest of the redest people... But Texas is not some backwards state where the people that live here that are different(Gay, Libearl, etc) live in fear of persecution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City