Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Theorectically, if Atlanta's tallest & Houston's tallest were side by side I could be in Chase Tower's overservation deck on the 60th floor looking 5 floors down waving to someone inside the 55th floor of Bank of America Plaza. Go all the way to Chase's 75th floor or rooftop & I would be looking 38 feet up at BOA's spire.

The only building outside of NYC or Chicago that can compete with Houston's Chase Tower is the US Bank Tower in LA.
I don't know what any of that has to do with your earlier, but okay.

There has been a lot of animosity and jealosy over the years about BOA's spire, and this looks like just another case of it. So the building has a spire? So does the Empire State Building and tons of others. It happens.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
There are so many problems in the world, and some people waste their time on topics such as this?!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:40 PM

362 posts, read 665,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There are so many problems in the world, and some people waste their time on topics such as this?!
Then why waste a comment on this thread when you could be saving the world???

Old 10-07-2012, 11:03 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
While your story becomes more and more compelling with each installment, it simply has nothing to do with the actual topic specified by the OP.
It's all good Houston is 2nd after ATL even though Houston could squash ATL like a bug.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
It's all good Houston is 2nd after ATL even though Houston could squash ATL like a bug.
In terms of number of highrises, sure. And Atlanta would do the same to Houston architecturally.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In terms of number of highrises, sure. And Atlanta would do the same to Houston architecturally.
Could go either way, honestly.

Houston's a little underrated when it comes to architectural variety.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Could go either way, honestly.

Houston's a little underrated when it comes to architectural variety.
Houston skyline is no Miami so this isn't as radical as a Miami "size" vs. Atlanta "architecture" type of thing. But Houston Skyline is smaller than Miami but still bigger than Atlanta and Atlanta still beats Houston in architecture. Honestly you can mix up Houston with other cities you can't really do this with Atlanta unless your generally bad with skylines. Atlanta has more distinctive buildings.

Houston

Downtown
All sizes | Downtown Houston | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Downtown Houston from the 43rd Floor! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Downtown Houston | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Uptown
All sizes | Rice Rooftops | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Uptown Pic | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | DSCF2600 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Greenway Plaza
All sizes | Greenway plaza and City skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | View of Houston from my office | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Construction | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Texas Medical Center
All sizes | texas big sky | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Texas Medical Center | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Texas Medical Center | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Atlanta

Downtown

All sizes | Downtown From The Southside | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Downtown Atlanta from the east | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Downtown Atlanta, looking South | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

midtown
All sizes | Atlanta Midtown skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Atlanta's midtown skyline from Atlantic Station | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Midtown Skyline - Atlanta Georgia | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Buckhead
All sizes | Central Buckhead | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Buckhead Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Clouds over Buckhead | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Perimeter Center
All sizes | The King and Queen 517 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | morning has broken... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Dunwoody | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:56 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
By size Miami then Houston. By height Houston then Atlanta. By presentation it's Dallas and then Atlanta. I say it's a toss up for all 4 honestly because each of them have something that the other lacks. So height goes to Houston, size to Miami, lights and presentation to Dallas, & variation in architecture to Atlanta.

Ultrapolis World's Twenty-Five Tallest Cities

Nothing to be fighting over. Seriously.

My favorite of the 4 would be Miami slightly over Houston and Atlanta & Dallas tied. Honestly though excluding New York & Chicago all 4 of these cities make my top 5.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valencian View Post
By size Miami then Houston. By height Houston then Atlanta. By presentation it's Dallas and then Atlanta. I say it's a toss up for all 4 honestly because each of them have something that the other lacks. So height goes to Houston, size to Miami, lights and presentation to Dallas, & variation in architecture to Atlanta.

Ultrapolis World's Twenty-Five Tallest Cities

Nothing to be fighting over. Seriously.

My favorite of the 4 would be Miami slightly over Houston and Atlanta & Dallas tied. Honestly though excluding New York & Chicago all 4 of these cities make my top 5.
Yeah, any of them could make the US overall top 5. Not many other cities are above these 5.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Houston towers over Atlanta.

It has 4 skylines (Downtown, Uptown, Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza) just within the inner loop alone & 8 (Downtown, Uptown, Texas Medical Center, Greenway Plaza, Westchase, Memorial, Energy Corridor, Greenspoint) inside the city limits.

No other cities besides NYC & Chicago beat Houston in total number of tall buildings.

Miami beats Houston in total number of high rises, but not height.
I have to agree with you. Houston's skylines has a lot of buildings. It does feel like there's more than what's in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City