Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Southern/Southeastern U.S. City Skyline is the Best?
Atlanta 217 30.22%
Charlotte 43 5.99%
Nashville 21 2.92%
Louisville 15 2.09%
Dallas 69 9.61%
Houston 168 23.40%
Richmond 23 3.20%
Winston-Salem 4 0.56%
Jacksonville 8 1.11%
Tampa 9 1.25%
Miami 133 18.52%
Orlando 8 1.11%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

ATL has the architecture, but it dosen't look as big as Houston's. Houston has the perfect balence. Hosuton has Miami's quantity, but with different innovative buildings. Not as innovative as ATL but H-town has the perfect balance. That's why I would put H-Town in 1st place.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes you are correct.I was merely responding to the statement made concerning what you said about if the buildings with the "spires" were taken away.You also said Atlanta "has no height to its skyline".This statement is very puzzeling.Atlanta has several of the tallest buildings in America and the world.It makes no sense to me because we are discussing skylines.Buildings with the spires and structures make up skylines.If you had simply said "I prefer Density" over the architecture or design features of buildings,then I would have had nothing to say as it is a subjective opinion.That is not what you stated however.
LOL at the bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes Houston does have more building than Atlanta.Nothing taller than Atlanta's tallest,but award winning architecture?I don't know how you cometo that conclusion,especiallya "a hands down decision".Maybe some smaller Buildings.Not in it towers.You should look at SkycraperPage and look at the diagrams of the city of Houston.They are just Boxes.Im not even trying to be confrontational.But its not even subjective,because as big as Houston is,most of its building are not "award winning"at all.

Some Famous architects of Atlanta's famous buildings
I.M.Pei
Johnson/Burgee Architects
Michael Graves
John Potman(Atlanta architect created the Atrium design in hotels)
Some famous architects of Houston's famous buildings.
I.M.Pei
Caudill Rowlett Scott
Louis Skidmore
Cesar Pelli

The most award-winning builings of Houston are Pennzoil Place and Bank of America Center.

I regularly go to skyscraperpage and am very much aware of Houston's designs. Did you know that skyscraperpage's posters for American skyscrapers include 3 Houston buildings and 1 ATL building. Their International Skyscraper poster contains 2 Houston buildings and 1 ATL building. Seems they think Houston deserve more mention.

Those boxy buildings you mention, many people appreciaite the angles, veticality, scale, and scope that they produce. Just because a building appears boxy from one angle doesn't mean it completely boxy, you might be pleasently surprised if walked around and looked at a different angle. My vote went to Houston, because I love the skyline and its my hometown.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
I think we need more pictures.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:30 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
LOL at the bold.

Some famous architects of Houston's famous buildings.
I.M.Pei
Caudill Rowlett Scott
Louis Skidmore
Cesar Pelli

The most award-winning builings of Houston are Pennzoil Place and Bank of America Center.

I regularly go to skyscraperpage and am very much aware of Houston's designs. Did you know that skyscraperpage's posters for American skyscrapers include 3 Houston buildings and 1 ATL building. Their International Skyscraper poster contains 2 Houston buildings and 1 ATL building. Seems they think Houston deserve more mention.

Those boxy buildings you mention, many people appreciaite the angles, veticality, scale, and scope that they produce. Just because a building appears boxy from one angle doesn't mean it completely boxy, you might be pleasently surprised if walked around and looked at a different angle. My vote went to Houston, because I love the skyline and its my hometown.
You're right.Although that means nothing.I can also say that even though the buildings represented for Houston are tall,they happen to be the MOST boring ones out of all the others(exception to the IDS building in Minneapolis.When I say boxes,I do not mean it literally.I'm just saying from a skyline perspective they look similar.None really stand out except for the BOA building.But hey to each there own.And YES we do need more pics.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:56 AM

229 posts, read 1,043,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
I think we need more pictures.
Well, if you say so!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2511/...50ebe385_b.jpg

Old 07-18-2009, 05:53 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
Most of those towers are condos (residential)...thanks for proving my point.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami View Post
I think Miami beats all southern cities when it comes to nighttime view

Old 07-18-2009, 12:39 PM

229 posts, read 1,043,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
You said 90% were which is what I was saying isn't true. I never said most of them weren't. If you don't like giant condos, fine! Whatever kind of buildings you think make the best skyline.

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; 07-18-2009 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 03:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Why does it matter what the buildings are or aren't?
Frankly, when a city is filled with condos, it's going to be a more lively place because people will actually live in them.

As far as skylines go, it doesn't make a difference to me. As far as cities go, I'd rather have lots of people living downtown or in high density nodes and neighbhorhoods.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Why does it matter what the buildings are or aren't?
Frankly, when a city is filled with condos, it's going to be a more lively place because people will actually live in them.

As far as skylines go, it doesn't make a difference to me. As far as cities go, I'd rather have lots of people living downtown or in high density nodes and neighbhorhoods.
Detroit has a bunch of empty condo building too......lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City